Alternative To Givi Cases?

gobs

Hi friends!

My wife and I want to tour with my FZ6F, and are looking for luggages. So today I asked a quote for the "rigid" Givi cases:

- Top-case model V 46 with the mounting rack: 18000 Bahts!

- Side cases model V35 with the mounting racks: 30000 bahts!

:o

Argh! OK that's top quality, but that's "big money" too for 2 or 3 weeks/year of touring IMHO!

Further the bike should become a little bit uggly on the rear end and not so easy to handle in the daily commutes...

As I don't want to go with tank bag or back pack, some advices or experiences about an "alternative" (saddle bag or else...) that can be found here in LOS would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance,

Gobs

I just got some cheapie throwover saddle bags and tailpack from mocycshop.. was under 4k delivered IIRC and easy to throw on and off (handy when going into a hotel, fixed luggage needs to unclip easy)..

http://www.mocycshop.com/product.detail_141342_th_1627754

The quality was 'ok' you need to add some bungee cords to make it rock solid stable, and its rain covers dont stay on at over 160kph (but they are attached with cords so spin round behind you like drag racing brake chutes :o !!) so make sure you put a bin bag inside them and then its totally 100% dry pack with no covers needed. They also have handles set up in such a way as they can be carried around off the bike in a useable way.

All in all I was happy with them for the money.. at that price you can use them until something better comes along.

• 2 weeks later...

im travelling to Australia this month and getting quotes on the abovementioned models numbers and they are even more expensive here than in Thailand

GIVI have crazy prices ... i dont know how they do business with expenses of over $1500 USD to be completely kitted out... CRAZY!

im travelling to Australia this month and getting quotes on the abovementioned models numbers and they are even more expensive here than in Thailand

GIVI have crazy prices ... i dont know how they do business with expenses of over $1500 USD to be completely kitted out... CRAZY!

LOL Trent- you blew your wad on the FZ6 and are coming up dry for touring bags? :o Actually, I thought you said Yammie was gonna throw in some bags as part of your purchase, no? I'm also looking for a top case for the ER-6n cuz the tank bag wants to fly away any time I'm going over ~140-160 km/hr :D

Hope you're havin' fun in the Land of Oz- we miss you!

Hey Trent!

Hope you didn't shell out on the GIVI bags yet because I've found some places here in Bangers that have them at very attractive prices!

I'm getting my bike fitted right now and will take pics when I get the ER-6n back tomorrow.

Check out some of these examples:

http://www.dr-bikebangkok.com/ (Do a seach for GIVI- they have a lot more in the shop than they do on their website)

http://gtautobike.tarad.com/

I looked some of these cases over and they seem like the real deal, or if they are knockoffs, they're dam_n good copies. The shop I bought from was super cool- we spent a couple of hours sketching different fitment setups for my bike since GIVI hasn't made fitments yet for the 2009 ER6n. I can tell this shop will stand behind what they sell. Also discussed options for custom made screens and exhaust options. These folks LOVE bikes, and it shows. They weren't trying to push a sale but were real excited to get an ER-6n in their shop and start brainstorming some mods.

So- no need to haul a big GIVI case back from Australia. Just get one when you return to the Land of Smile!

My setup will include the custom made fitments with integrated LED turn signals, and the Givi Box (I already forgot which one cuz I looked at too many yesterday :o ) but it's got the integrated brake light which is kinda cool) all installed for about 7,000 Baht

Happy Trails,

Tony

Bit surprised nobody ever mentioned Cortech Tourmaster saddlebags. They are really top of the class. Problem is, you'll never find them in LOS.

In USA tribag system cost mere $170-$180 or you can just settle for saddlebags for $115. I got black set and they never did me wrong. Here is what you get:

• 1680 Denier ballistic nylon construction for durability

• Protective heat shield on lower section of bags helps to prevent pipe burn (minimum clearance of 2" required)

• Neoprene strap and side pads help to protect the motorcycle´s finish

• Zippered side pocket on each bag

• Scotchlite® 3M Reflective Tour Master logo & striping

• Internal support panels

• Quick release mounting system

• Rain Covers included

• Convenient carrying handles

• TPR zipper pulls

• 12"H x 15"W x 7"D (17 Liters per Side)

• Available colors: Black, Red, Blue

bk.jpg

121406_middle.jpg

121406_bottom.jpg

That's a nice looking set Cro- I used to have a similar set for long trips but it eventually fell apart so now I'm looking for something new.

Saddle bags would work fine on the ER-6n- after all the pipe is under the bike so you never have to worry about scorching or melting the bags.

I always travel very light- especially here in Thailand where you can get just about anything you need at a 7-11, 24 hours a day and buying new clothes as you go or having laundry done is cheap and easy. When I ride solo I can get by with just a tank bag and a dive bag strapped to my pillion like this:

1120PackedNinja2Sm.jpg

I'm getting the GIVI to use when the missus is along for the ride, because, like most females (and Trent :D ) she can't travel without an obnoxious amount of stuff... :o:D:D

This weekend's trip to Udon Thani will be the first time I've ever used a GIVI box, so we'll see how it goes. For solo trips I really don't think I'll need it. The nice thing is that the installation of the Givi hardware requires no modifications to the bike, so I can return the bike to stock when I'm not using it.

It might come in handy for the 6000km trip we're planning with Bard and Trent in March!

I looked some of these cases over and they seem like the real deal, or if they are knockoffs, they're dam_n good copies. The shop I bought from was super cool- we spent a couple of hours sketching different fitment setups for my bike since GIVI hasn't made fitments yet for the 2009 ER6n. I can tell this shop will stand behind what they sell. Also discussed options for custom made screens and exhaust options. These folks LOVE bikes, and it shows. They weren't trying to push a sale but were real excited to get an ER-6n in their shop and start brainstorming some mods.

Givi racks available for 2009 ER6-N:

www.givi.co.uk/per_la_tua_moto.asp?co_id=32957〈=en

Aha! So they are now available- cool, that's good to know- thanks so much for the link rdg_john!

Doesn't seem like one can actually place orders on this site... odd. Guess they only sell through their distributors. Looks like this is the one for Thailand:

L. Piya Intertrade Co., Ltd.

1108/18 Rama 4 Thungmahamek Sathorn

Bangkok

tel. +66 224 90 311

fax. +66 224 99 682

[email protected]

Well, I'll see how the custom set that I ordered looks tomorrow. Hopefully it will be fine, but if not, now I know where to look for the real deal!

Thanks again and happy trails!

Tony

Hi friends,

Thanks to you, many replies!

Yes Nakedair, "great" price the Givi cases! In LOS or France, same prices! But they are the top notch...

I like your side-bags CroBike. Good stuff and easy to take "on/off"... A good alternative for the long rides. And when off, the bike goes back to its original design. Do you know some web site where to order in US?

Good links BigBikeBKK. Great stuff in dr.bike and gtautobike! Do you think it is original/true Givi cases? They are only priced 30 or 50% of the real import cases! IMHO (but don't know!) these are (chinese) copies... But no problem for me as far as they are clean and useful!

From gtautobike web site:

- Import Givi 46 liters top-case: ? 15000 Bahts, (appears in the 2008 Givi catalogue)

- gtautobike "Givi" 45 liters top-case: ? 4800 Bahts, (doesn't appear in the 2008 Givi catalogue!)

:o

Further, in dr.bike, they have SCOYCO mesh jackets for 3000/4000 Bahts! Compared to the 8 to 12 KB for a Alpinestars (or whatever brand) one, wow! Scoyco is a chinese brand, OK: not same finish and quality, not same "signature", but well...

Here in Chiang Mai, nothing about all this stuff! It worse a trip to BKK...

I wait a pic of your bike with the Givi top-case, BigBikeBKK...

Cheers,

Gobs

Salut Gobs,

Indeed, Bangkok has tons of bike shops, but they can be quite hard to find as very few have english websites.

I quite like the look of the pictures of the 2009 ER-6n on the Givi site:

2009ER6nGivi.jpg

I'm picking up my ER-6n tomorrow and am hoping they've done a good job with the custom fittings. I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

2009ER6nGivi1.jpg

My wife saw these pictures and got all excited about the extra crap we could haul around if I got the side cases too. :o I told her if we're going to carry that much crap we'd be better off driving the pickup truck! :D:D:D

I can't say I'm very impressed with the Givi screen though:

2009ER6nGiviScreen.jpg

This Givi screen is tiny and I can't imagine it would do much...

I'm talking with a shop in Bangkok about trying to make something like this:

ER-6nCustomScreen.jpg

What do you think? Personally I'd like it to be 2-3 inches taller...

Happy Trails!

Tony

Hi BBB,

I agree+++, Tony: very nice set these Givi cases (top-case V46 and side-cases V 35)! This set was the one I "expected" to purchase for my FZ6... But heem!: 50000 bahts! "Wow, the price of a nice new Fino with some accessories!.." said my wife.

Well...

Nice the orange one... Accessories better designed!

And very uggly "fixing" of the Givi screen IMHO. Shame on Givi for this!..

Aren't there accessories (on the orange ER6) from the brand Bagster?.. I think I recognize the seat at least.

Bagster is very known for its seats (with gel as option): more comfortable and well "bum-designed" for long rides both for the pilot and the passenger... Have a look at the stock one, and compare with the Bagster's... As stock, the passenger and the pilot tend to "slip" frontward... Same on the FZ6: my wife always "stick" to my back. Not that I dislike, for sure :o , but for long rides it's not so comfortable for both...

Waiting your pics,

Cheers,

Gobs

Hi friends,

Thanks to you, many replies!

I like your side-bags CroBike. Good stuff and easy to take "on/off"... A good alternative for the long rides. And when off, the bike goes back to its original design. Do you know some web site where to order in US?

Cheers,

Gobs

Hey Gobs,

I bought it from these guys:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=280300404336

check their store, lots of other stuff.

Hey Trent!

Hope you didn't shell out on the GIVI bags yet because I've found some places here in Bangers that have them at very attractive prices!

I'm getting my bike fitted right now and will take pics when I get the ER-6n back tomorrow.

http://www.dr-bikebangkok.com/ (Do a seach for GIVI- they have a lot more in the shop than they do on their website)

So- no need to haul a big GIVI case back from Australia. Just get one when you return to the Land of Smile!

My setup will include the custom made fitments with integrated LED turn signals, and the Givi Box (I already forgot which one cuz I looked at too many yesterday :o ) but it's got the integrated brake light which is kinda cool) all installed for about 7,000 Baht

Happy Trails,

Tony

Hi Tony,

I have a mate who has just purchased a ER-6N in Suratthani, he is interested in the Givi set up your getting for your bike, any chance you could post some pics and prices you paid?

Cheers

Robin

Hi folks, trailers are becoming more popular in Oz. The one in the picture is a Bandicoot brand made in Brisbane, but I am sure a metal working shop anywhere could knock one up. The advantage. Takes the weight off the bike which benefits handling, stops the pillion complaining and will carry more than a top box and bags combined. Plus you can unhitch/hitch in 20 seconds.

post-63954-1233838024_thumb.jpg

I have fitted Ventura racks and bags to all my bikes . Google them or try www.bikebiz.com . Landed here they are around 500 USD , Pretty straight forward to fit , and the rack can be removed fairly easily leaving a couple of bars running up to behind the pillion seat .

Not everyones cup of tea , but but fairly practical .

Hey Trent!

My setup will include the custom made fitments with integrated LED turn signals, and the Givi Box (I already forgot which one cuz I looked at too many yesterday :D ) but it's got the integrated brake light which is kinda cool) all installed for about 7,000 Baht

Happy Trails,

Tony

Hi Tony,

I have a mate who has just purchased a ER-6N in Suratthani, he is interested in the Givi set up your getting for your bike, any chance you could post some pics and prices you paid?

Cheers

Robin

Hey Robin. Guess that's Kevin you're talking about. You had your ass on the seat yet? Know you thought it might be a little low seat wise for you. Mind you if it's ok for Kevin should be fine you even your large butt :o

I have fitted Ventura racks and bags to all my bikes . Google them or try www.bikebiz.com . Landed here they are around 500 USD , Pretty straight forward to fit , and the rack can be removed fairly easily leaving a couple of bars running up to behind the pillion seat .

Not everyones cup of tea , but but fairly practical .

no offence but this thing is really ugly.

Edited by DirkKohler

Hey Trent!

My setup will include the custom made fitments with integrated LED turn signals, and the Givi Box (I already forgot which one cuz I looked at too many yesterday :D ) but it's got the integrated brake light which is kinda cool) all installed for about 7,000 Baht

Happy Trails,

Tony

Hi Tony,

Cheers

Robin

Hey Robin. Guess that's Kevin you're talking about. You had your ass on the seat yet? Know you thought it might be a little low seat wise for you. Mind you if it's ok for Kevin should be fine you even your large butt :o

Hey Judas,

Yeah its Kevin, he's bringing it over on the night boat tonight.... so yeah i'll have my fat arse on it first thing in the morning.

Robin

Hi Guys!

Sorry to keep you waiting- had to go out and "test" the new Givi case :D:D:D

020509GiviInstall5Sm.jpg

I'm quite happy with it. As far as I can tell it's a genuine Givi case-

020509GiviInstall4Sm.jpg

Looked up this model on the internet and seems to match the description:

Givi E350 - Flow - MONOLOCK® Top Case

With a capacity of 35 liters, this Monolock topcase is equipped with the new Monolock automatic opening/closing system. The E350 Flow is characterized by a wide reflector and is ideal for low and medium-powered scooters.

The dimensions of the Givi E350 are:

19"L x 16.5"W x 12"H.

It is available in matt black, gloss black, gloss silver, gloss candy red and gloss blue. Accessories for the E350 Flow include an integrated stop light and a backrest pad.

The case looks well made, came with an owners manual, etc

I think it might be an older model which might account for the very cheap price- only 3500 Baht!

The shop custom built a rack for the case and it's very nicely done and extremely solid:

020509GiviInstallSm.jpg

The custom rack is anchored to the frame at EIGHT points making it very strong. I get the impression that the "real" Givi rack for the 2009 ER-6n might only be attached at four points, but it's hard to tell for sure from the picture on the Givi site:

2009ER6nGivi1.jpg

A picture from underneath-

020509GiviInstall1Sm.jpg

Once I receive my plate it will be very easy to attach a holder to the brackets under the rear fender.

020509GiviInstall3Sm.jpg

The missus saw the cute little Givi backrest and just had to have it. Hope she doesn't get too comfy back there :o

So, all in all I'm very happy with this case. It's very well designed. One button to open, and another to remove from the bike.

Total cost, for those interested came out to just over 8000 Baht. (Price was a little higher than I said in an earlier post due to the addition of the Givi Backrest (850 Baht) and upgrading to a case with a light (+400 Baht)

Anyone interested in getting a case from this shop feel free to send me a PM for details.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Wow Tony!

You've got it! Nice (and STRONG) work! Enjoy...

My wife too WANT a backrest! And I can understand that on a ride of 200 kms non-stop as a passenger, one can find it "comfy"...

Maybe you are right saying that for this price these cases are from the previous "collection".

At least, in France, you can't get them by now... Only the 2008 collection at full price!

Good job,

Cheers,

Gobs

Since I got the mounting free from Yamaha all I had to do was to figure out the boxes.

This is what I figured out Gobs.

The V35 are extremely expensive and they require the even more expensive PLX side mounts which does NOT fit the FZ 351 top mount.

So what I did was to go for the V46 top box and the E41 side boxes which is way cheaper, also the mount PL360 fits with the FZ351 top mount. Total space in all that is 128 liter of luggage which should even satisfy my demanding wife on a trip. OR help out Trent with all his gay creams and shit.

Cheers Bard

12DrinkMore: Somehow I don't think that I will be attaching one of those monstrosities to either my Ninja or my ER6N.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But I will admit there is no beauty in a mono-trailer! But they are practical. That's the advantage.

And I do not like topboxes. Besides reminding everyone your an aspiring pizza delivery guy or your a courier a top box looks clunky and may affect the handling if you put any weight in it.

With the bags and box full, a pillion and yourself your probably on the upper weight limit anyway!

But if you want one...best of luck to ya. Ride safe guys.

Gobs bike (FZ6) has a max load limit of 190 kg (after fuel and oil). Gross weight is 398 kg, bike dry 180 + fuel and oil = wet 208 kg leaving you 190 kg in usable load.

So in my case me with all gear on is 90 kg my wife fully geared is 56 kg and we can load 44 kg on the bike, well remove 4 kilo in boxes for argument sake and we can load 20 kg each. Or even with the 128 liter space available for clothes and stuff we are still under max load as there are not enough room in the boxes for clothes, flipflops and stuff to get up to max weight.

But yes it's a valid point guys, check your max load limit for your bike and don't overload it...

I think boxes look way better than a backpack or tank bag scratching the paint on a long ride, it is way more comfy for sure. And I like the monorail, just snap off the boxes and take them into the hotel at night, ride with them off until you need to load up for the journey home again. I will load one side box for me and one for my wife, the topbox will be for water, snacks rain coveralls, and used to lock up two helmets with jackets when we stop.

Cheers Bard

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...