The Mexican Food In Pattaya Is Not Good

Jingthing

I saw the "Russian thing" too and thought about telling Gil to print a Russian menu, but decided he obviously is aware of that, so no need to tell him what he already knows. I wonder what a "Russian taco" would look like?

I am not even sure it's only the lack of a Russian menu, which I assume they don't have. A stand with a menu out front would avoid the spectacle of so many groups walking out, but of course, it's none of our business! coffee1.gif Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We ate at Mikes last week. Guacamole "large portion" (what I would have called "normal", would be interesting to see their "small" and "medium" portions) and Nachos (kinda bland, later realized we should have ordered Nachos Grandes - not suggested by the waitress) for starters, mix of burritos and tacos for mains and vanilla ice cream with (more, sweet and cinnamon dusted this time) nachos. Marguaritas and water for drinks. All in all around 1,300 baht. It was ok, and I think a notch up from Tequila Reef, but we were not bowled over.

Still have to try Sunrise, that'll be for next time we crave Mexican.

Sunrise Tacos Review: Taco Tuesday/Friday Promotion

Now you've let the genie out of the bottle re-opening this thread!!

NNNNNNNNOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

stock-photo-depressed-guy-in-the-blue-shirt-going-to-kill-himself-with-a-gun-over-white-background-31027822.jpg

Chill out dude, it probably won't be that bad.

i am thinking it will be that bad but its a cross i will have to bear

how did you put it in reference to me ''It seems you are a very intolerant person''

We ate at Mikes last week. Guacamole "large portion" (what I would have called "normal", would be interesting to see their "small" and "medium" portions) and Nachos (kinda bland, later realized we should have ordered Nachos Grandes - not suggested by the waitress) for starters, mix of burritos and tacos for mains and vanilla ice cream with (more, sweet and cinnamon dusted this time) nachos. Marguaritas and water for drinks. All in all around 1,300 baht. It was ok, and I think a notch up from Tequila Reef, but we were not bowled over.

the last time i ate at ST the bill was nudging 2000 for two and a less than groaning table....

Edited by timekeeper

I happened upon Mikes a few weeks ago, another one of these places located in an off the beaten path area, midway between Jontiem and Pattaya. My dinner bell was ringing so I stopped in for a visit. For drinks I tried a rather ordinary Pina Colada and a rather potent, reasonably priced Sangria. The service was rather poor for order-taking... there are hand bells at each table, and I realized by the end of the meal that if you wanted attention you needed to ring it (I rang it once to get the bill). I didn't really know what to order, but I'm a big eater so I ordered their mammoth 3pm combo (or whatever they call it), a burrito, enchilada and a hard taco. You can choose the fillings but ordered everything with beef for consistency purposes (and it is the traditional meat filling, at least at Taco Bell...Ugh). As stated in a previous post, I'm not a soft taco kind guy so I didn't think much of the burrito or enchilada, the silky texture was a bit too monotonous for my palate (that's just me), but the taste was good and I liked how the beef had a unique, pulled pork consistency (at least compared to Taco Bell). I really enjoyed the hard shell taco (I don't know if Sunrise makes a bigger version of the hard/crispy taco for their a la carte menu, but Mike's taco was double the size of Sunrise's). I paid about 600 baht for my meal. I think I'll stick to Sunrise Tacos and their promotional 220 baht Taco Tuesday/Friday.

For those of you with or without Valentine's who enjoy Tequila Reef Restaurant (I've never been) Frugal Freddy group is going there Tuesday with the following promotion:

"Tuesday we will be meeting at Tequila Reef Cantina for Mexican food and Margaritas blended or shaken. Tequila Reef extends a 20% discount to all Frugal Freddy Members that night and if your check bin is over B1000 they will give you a 25% discount."

You don't need RSVP or membership, just show up at 6pm.

What would an American know about Mexican food?

I have spent many months traveling in Mexico and decades living in Mexican areas of the US so yes I know EXACTLY what Mexican food is supposed to taste like. There are many millions of Mexicans living in the US and they have brought their food culture along with them, open to anyone who wishes to enjoy it with them.

If you knew anything about me which you could easily know by reading my posts, except your twisted sport of insulting me, you would know I am not a "Taco Bell" kind of American. Over the years due to the rapid Latinization (sic) of USA, there are indeed now tens of millions of Americans who have the sophisticated appreciation of Mexican food that I do, but yes there always will also still be a big market for crap food like Taco Bell.

Also FYI: not all real Mexican food is spicy and/or hot, but personally my favorites are mostly the spicy hot dishes.

That said, some of the native American variations of Mexican food such as the San Francisco Mission District style burrito which is not found in Mexico, is dam_n good world class food.

I have never had "Mexian food" in LA or Orange county that comes close to what i have had in Mexico which is far superior, and I am a California native. I think your quest for a "mission burrito" out side SF is not going to happen. I have never heard of a mission district burrito being ordered in So. Cal.

I hear you rant constantly about bad Mexican food here, why don't you open your own place and stop bashing every Pattaya Mexican restaurant that is trying to do their honest best! I know most of the owners of these Mexican restaurants an they seem to be good people, and want the best food for their customers. Jingthing it would not take too much to open a small place like "big Al's" and who knows if you really know mexican food like you claim then you should become a millionaire.

Edited by marinediscoking

Huh? Sunrise Tacos serves Mission District style burritos. No, they don't call them that outside of San Francisco. Duh. No they aren't world class but they are quite OK for Thailand.

No interest in running my own restaurant. You must think I am quite insane to suggest it.

Again, California style burritos/Mission district style burritos etc. are a MEXICAN-AMERICAN food you don't even find in Mexico. No problem with that. Good food is good food.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

• 5 months later...

Simply put, IMHO, there is no restaurant in Thailand that serves authentic Mexican food!

Having traveled extensively in Mexico, I've never found a restaurant or roadside food stand that

didn't have decent and spicy salsa picante, yet I've never seen it in Thailand. Well, except for

some _weak_ tomato based substitute. That's kinda like a Korean restaurant never having Kimche,

a Thai place not having Nam Plao or Nam Phet, nouc mam in Vietnam or yu lu in China.

Plus, the Mexican dishes found in Thailand are a poor attempt at duplicating real thing.

Im from Texas and there are plenty of Authentic Mexican Restarants here esp in Austin and I don't think its nearly the quality of good Tex Mex. They lack ingredients and are very very basic. Good Tex Mex is the best Mexican Food style to me. And in Bangkok there is an amazing restaurant for Tex Mex style mexican and it's at Bourbon Street. Pretty much everything they have is great and they specialize in both Cajun and Mexican, but on Tues I think it is, they have a Mexican Buffet that is truly delicious! I make a point of being in BKK on Tuesdays when I visit just to go there. Its good to read the comments here though about Mexican in Pattaya since I'm new here and haven't tried many places yet.

• 2 months later...

So where can I go and get good tacos in pattaya after all this comments

Your best bet by far would be the all you can eat Taco Buffet at Sunrise in Jomtien. Tuesdays and Thursday, 2 to 7 pm, cost 275 baht plus plus. Unlimited salsa bar. Choice of taco shells: crispy corn, soft corn, or flour. Somewhat limited choice of meats but the very good Baja Fish tacos are on the buffet. Serving of excellent chips included. Also pie: apple or pumpkin, not Mexican food, but whatever. Come hungry or it's not worth it. Edited by Jingthing

Your best bet by far would be the all you can eat Taco Buffet at Sunrise in Jomtien. Tuesdays and Thursday, 2 to 7 pm, cost 275 baht plus plus. Unlimited salsa bar. Choice of taco shells: crispy corn, soft corn, or flour. Somewhat limited choice of meats but the very good Baja Fish tacos are on the buffet. Serving of excellent chips included. Also pie: apple or pumpkin, not Mexican food, but whatever. Come hungry or it's not worth it.

Is the AYCE buffet on Tuesday's & Thursday's or Tuesday's & Friday's?

Edited by Michaelaway

Your best bet by far would be the all you can eat Taco Buffet at Sunrise in Jomtien. Tuesdays and Thursday, 2 to 7 pm, cost 275 baht plus plus. Unlimited salsa bar. Choice of taco shells: crispy corn, soft corn, or flour. Somewhat limited choice of meats but the very good Baja Fish tacos are on the buffet. Serving of excellent chips included. Also pie: apple or pumpkin, not Mexican food, but whatever. Come hungry or it's not worth it.

Is the AYCE buffet on Tuesday's & Thursday's or Tuesday's & Friday's?

http://sunrisetacos.com/promotion/

tuesday and friday according to the website

If you intend to pig out on tacos it's probably a good deal but me and the missus went there last Tuesday and seeing the price would be 650 Baht for the 2 of us without drinks we went to Mikes and had 2 regular meals with a margeurita and a beer for the same price.