Pattaya Apartment Horror Story

Harrywonka

Hi all, I was meant to staying at Pattara Mansion in Naklua til i read this : http://room-for-rent-pattaya.blogspot.com/ I have paid a small deposit but not enough to worry about losing.

Anyone have any comments about the place?

Harry

Very similar problems i had with Hagone Condo at Theprasit Road. Badest expirience i ever had in renting a room. I got cheated in any way.and my car got damaged in the covered parking lot several times and the security never saw anything. They refused to give me the deposit either.

"Final words

Renting a room in Thailand falls under pretty much the same laws as many western countries. Actually by law you are pretty well protected. Having a contract with a term in it longer than 1 month is against the law and you can just ignore it. Getting your deposit back is ofcourse more difficult since you would have to prosecute which is many times more expensive than the deposit itself. Fortunately they only ask for 1 month deposit, so you can get out any time you want. THEY CAN NOT STOP YOU. If they call the 'police' then some friend of theirs who happens to be a small time cop comes over, smiles and says you have to pay a rediculous amount of money. DO NOT PAY AND GO TO THE POLICE STATION. The real police over there are helpful and actually respect the law, especially with foreigners."

I wonder how this affects all those with 30 year leases........

"Final words

Renting a room in Thailand falls under pretty much the same laws as many western countries. Actually by law you are pretty well protected. Having a contract with a term in it longer than 1 month is against the law and you can just ignore it. Getting your deposit back is ofcourse more difficult since you would have to prosecute which is many times more expensive than the deposit itself. Fortunately they only ask for 1 month deposit, so you can get out any time you want. THEY CAN NOT STOP YOU. If they call the 'police' then some friend of theirs who happens to be a small time cop comes over, smiles and says you have to pay a rediculous amount of money. DO NOT PAY AND GO TO THE POLICE STATION. The real police over there are helpful and actually respect the law, especially with foreigners."

Yes and all the bar tenants and restaurant tenants who have say a 3 year lease with the option of renewing.

But i am not sure but i think their is a difference between a rental contract and a lease, may be some one here with more knowledge could explain.

"Final words

Yes and all the bar tenants and restaurant tenants who have say a 3 year lease with the option of renewing.

But i am not sure but i think their is a difference between a rental contract and a lease, may be some one here with more knowledge could explain.

I suspect that if what he says is right, it is something to do with the property, i.e if it is a condominium or property with a legal title then you can certainly have a lease for up to 30 years under Thai law. It should be borne in mind however that all leases of over 3 years MUST be registered on the title of the property at the Land Office.

However, a room in an apartment building or hotel does not have its own legal title. Thus it is impossible to have a lease, which, legally, is a form of legal title, to a room in an apartment building. In the UK, an agreement to rent a room in such an apartment building is called a license. I suspect there is something similar under Thai law and, if what is being said is correct, it is that which legally can't have a term of more than 30 days.