Buying A Top-of-the-range Mobile Phone

roderick17

Greetings All

I am thinking of buying a state-of-the-art mobile telephone, but I’m not sure of which alluring model to select. I have tentatively made a short-list of the three feature- packed phones, although I will expand this list if someone recommends a better option . My shortlist is made up of - the Sony – Ericsson X1, Nokia’s N97 and the Samsung I990 model . The price of each of these phones is relatively similar, and each comes with many attractive telephony features, that I’m sure will be helpful and fun, as well.

I really don’t know which one to select. Does anyone here have any information or preference that would help me in making a final selection ??

Roderick

Anyone buy the thai brands - I see lot of them are pretty feature latent, saw one in tukom and even claimed you can watch tele on it. (over the air) Rather cheap less than 4000bht.

About three months ago I bought a no-name (actually I can't remember the name, it was i-something, playing on the iPhone name I guess) phone for my step-son which claimed to have TV and radio reception.

It worked very well; the TV function was lots of fun to play with and worked surprisingly well for local terrestrial channels, it even had the location sensor built in so it would switch the display if it was turned to its side.

As an MP3 player it was fine for his needs and I was impressed with the volume from the built in speakers and the call functions, games etc and battery life were also much better than I expected. He plugged it in to a Windows computer and it showed up as a thumb drive so he could copy his songs to it and it also was easy to move files to it from my wife's Macbook Pro.

Sadly it wasn't waterproof, but otherwise it was very good until it took a swim.

/He now has a much more basic phone as his penance

N97 of the three above - should be the best of the bunch according to reviews. The Omnia is so so, the X1 a disappointment.

IMO None of them touch the iPhone in usability and convenience, or style for that matter, but my guess would be you have already made up your mind that you don't want it :o

Palm Pre looks to be very hot but it's not out yet. BB Storm might be something to consider as well.

Greetings All

I am thinking of buying a state-of-the-art mobile telephone, but I'm not sure of which alluring model to select. I have tentatively made a short-list of the three feature- packed phones, although I will expand this list if someone recommends a better option . My shortlist is made up of - the Sony – Ericsson X1, Nokia's N97 and the Samsung I990 model . The price of each of these phones is relatively similar, and each comes with many attractive telephony features, that I'm sure will be helpful and fun, as well.

I really don't know which one to select. Does anyone here have any information or preference that would help me in making a final selection ??

Roderick

I owen personally the Nokia’s N97 and the Samsung Omnia model . These two phone are totally different. Omnia is Winmo PDA and Nokia is Smart phone. I like both when I use. But if you use the Omnia need to buy Shell program from Spb which cost you about 125 dollars to kind of make it easy to use kind of like Iphone. But you looking or Simple nice smart phoen then I would say to get N79, the Sony – Ericsson X1 is not a good phone and not made by Sony and made by HTC. Sony is dropping this series phoen and will try to make the next model themself. Sony phoen also is Winmo PDA same as Omnia but Omnia much better phone.

You should take a look at two other nice Nokia phone N82 which is about one year old but is problem free phoen with great Camera and flash and external memmory like N79 but a better phone. You need also take a look at Nokia 5800 touch screen which can find now in MBK come from outside. The price is about 15,000 baht. The Thai version of 5800 will come next month. Nokia introduce this phoen last month and sold over 1M unit so far.

I now tend to stay clear of windows mobile based phones. I just find it too slow finicky to do anything such as a simple SMS or MMS.

I would recommend a Blackberry with the appropriate data plan and BIS service. It just has everything u need really and does it better than Microsoft or Symbian OS if you ask me. The OS is solid and fast and the screen on the bold is perfect.

Had an X1 for 3 weeks would not recommend it slow, laggy and dodgy build quality especially the sliding keyboard.

Greetings All

I am thinking of buying a state-of-the-art mobile telephone, but I'm not sure of which alluring model to select. I have tentatively made a short-list of the three feature- packed phones, although I will expand this list if someone recommends a better option . My shortlist is made up of - the Sony – Ericsson X1, Nokia's N97 and the Samsung I990 model . The price of each of these phones is relatively similar, and each comes with many attractive telephony features, that I'm sure will be helpful and fun, as well.

I really don't know which one to select. Does anyone here have any information or preference that would help me in making a final selection ??

Roderick

If you want a phone for mainly making calls and maybe some multimedia I would say get a Nokia or even Iphone(easy to use, looks nice)

If you are like me and like to install lots of stuff on my phone and don't mind windows mobile then the Omnia or the Xperia are good choices.

I have owned an Omnia for 2 months and recently had a chance to play with the Xperia and here is what i like and dislike about both.

Omnia

+ good camera

+ good battery life

+ screen is a little larger than 3.2 vs 3.0 inch

+ lighter

- doesn't feel as solid as Xperia or my old Asus

- no stylus built in. it's external (i actually don't use it anymore. i managed to configure it so that it's extremely finger friendly)

- proprietary audio jack

Xperia

+ higher screen resolution so everything looks more crisp and clear

+ keyboard (i dont use QWERTY much but when needed it works well)

+ feels more sturdy

- it's a little bulky

Overall I like the Omnia more because I am not a fan of phones with QWERTY.

That being said I now have my eye on the HTC Touch HD, mainly because of the large screen with WVGA resolution.

I have had the HTC touch Pro since October.

Its well built, great screen, battery life is pretty good, keyboard is very good, camera not bad, internet use is great, built in motion sensor is good, media player etc is good.

On the down side some features aren't well designed such as inputing numbers down a phone line (i.e. press 9 for English you have to touch the power button, then the phone pad button, then the number) It also crashes quite often. The built in GPS is lousy, or maybe its the Garmin map I got with it, but its so innacureate its basically useless.

One thing is that when I open the keyboard and it lights up in the dark people come around to look at it.

I have a Nokia N95 as well which is superior in everyway apart from the screen resolution and not having touch screen or a full keyboard. The GPS in particular I found almost as good as a dedicated unit. It also has a 5 megapixel camera I found as good as a 5 megapixel stand alone camera I had. Battery life was lousy though. I don't know about the Nokia N97 specifically though

If HTC made a Touch Pro with the Symbian operating system and Nokia Maps I'd buy it in a heart beat.