Solemn New Year On Phuket

Darknight

Solemn new year on Phuket

By Dominic Hughes

BBC News, Phuket

People on Phuket held a candlelit vigil for victims of the tsunami

A candle-lit ceremony to mourn the dead marked the beginning of a sombre new year on the island of Phuket.

Emotions were raw, many were in tears.

One Thai woman cried: "I want to say to all the country, we are so sorry for we cannot control this thing."

gallery_8602_53_1104533409.jpg

It was all in marked contrast to the usual scenes here at this time of year. Holidaymakers would usually be getting ready to party through the night.

But it is hard to celebrate when you're surrounded by the death and destruction wrought by the Indian Ocean tsunami.

Tom Travers, restaurant owner and party organiser, was looking forward to one of the biggest nights of the year.

But from the deck of his bar he looks out over a scene of utter devastation.

Wrecked building have been smashed to rubble by the waves:

"The overall feelings through Phuket and throughout many areas of Thailand is that it just doesn't seem fitting to have a celebration.

"I think it's going to be more a period of just reflecting on what's happened. I don't think a lot of people are in celebrating mood.

"I think it's going to pretty hard to open up bottles of champagne and pour them on each other when you know what's devastated the country and the surrounding area."

_40680089_apphuketvigil203.jpg

'Determined'

Most tourists have left the holiday island, but some have not.

Of those who remain, many have volunteered in hospitals and helping with the clear up.

And some, like Brian Downhouer, from Texas in the US, decided to travel to Phuket even after the scale of the disaster became clear.

"We thought a lot about what would be best for ourselves and the people here, and we determined that just us being here would help them get back on their feet a bit.

"Staying away would be just about the worst thing we could do."

_40680113_apphuketvigil66.jpg

Although most Thais would save their celebrations for Chinese new year in February, 31 December is usually a fairly riotous evening in Phuket.

But this year the government has cancelled all official celebrations and many hotels and bars are using their parties to raise funds for relief efforts.

The new year will be ushered in without the usual fanfare.