Pattaya's Fareng Police Volunteers

MeetJohnDoe

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A comment on the black attire. It does wear better and is easier on the laundry. I wear black Dickies work shirts and pants at my job for the same reason. The people I supervise don't feel intimidated nor do they subscribe to this ludicrous 'paramilitary' or 'fascist' drivel from the less... enlightened; it's a practical choice and in a crowded work area I am clearly visible like my employer wants me to be. If you look at ALL the TPV's footwear on any Friday night, for every one with 'jackboots' there's ten with work shoes or work boots. Work boots may look like jackboots to those with really vivid imaginations IMHO.

Black DOES entail authority. A few years back while I lived in the US, there was a debate whether the local (Houston) police should change from their traditional Columbia blue attire to the more traditional black. The argument for the latter was there was empirical evidence that police forces with black uniforms had a lower level of confrontation and faster situation control times than forces with other colors be it shades of blue, green or gray. People generally backed down quicker or responded faster to black-clothed officers. Not a bad thing in any sort of emergency IMHO. After all, it is ultimately about crime suppression and prevention and not looking pretty for the tourists or residents.

Back to the OP, Howard stated in his first response that the author of the published article spent at best 30 minutes and didn't talk much to anyone else. For his 'investigative work', he probably got 800 baht from whatever agency foisted his story on Post Publishing. Case closed.

A comment on the black attire. It does wear better and is easier on the laundry. I wear black Dickies work shirts and pants at my job for the same reason. The people I supervise don't feel intimidated nor do they subscribe to this ludicrous 'paramilitary' or 'fascist' drivel from the less... enlightened; it's a practical choice and in a crowded work area I am clearly visible like my employer wants me to be. If you look at ALL the TPV's footwear on any Friday night, for every one with 'jackboots' there's ten with work shoes or work boots. Work boots may look like jackboots to those with really vivid imaginations IMHO.

Black DOES entail authority. A few years back while I lived in the US, there was a debate whether the local (Houston) police should change from their traditional Columbia blue attire to the more traditional black. The argument for the latter was there was empirical evidence that police forces with black uniforms had a lower level of confrontation and faster situation control times than forces with other colors be it shades of blue, green or gray. People generally backed down quicker or responded faster to black-clothed officers. Not a bad thing in any sort of emergency IMHO. After all, it is ultimately about crime suppression and prevention and not looking pretty for the tourists or residents.

Back to the OP, Howard stated in his first response that the author of the published article spent at best 30 minutes and didn't talk much to anyone else. For his 'investigative work', he probably got 800 baht from whatever agency foisted his story on Post Publishing. Case closed.

Best post in this thread so far.

Simon did not make the cover because Simon (me!) works in Phuket :o

There was a recent article in The Phuket Post about the Phuket Tourist Police Volunteers, complete with front page photo. Alas, I was considered too ugly/old/whatever etc to grace the front page!

Just as a general comment re uniforms. The Phuket volunteers wear white polo shirt, non-military black trousers and standard black shoes (boots not allowed).

Simon

Very reasonable, non-intimidating, and professional attire.

As well as honesty expressed on earlier threads on the issue of work permits, one wonders why Phuket TPV are so much more reasonably dressed, cordial, honest, and straight-forward than their Pattaya brethren.

-----------------------

SRJ--once again you are pushing this from the sidelines with your comments and Work Permit questions--I answered you over 1 1/2 years ago

So, after reading your "answer" from then... the answer is "No, there are still no work permits for TPV."

Got it. Thank you for the update.

-----------------------

SRJ you must be waiting online for comments to your posts--so sad. No wonder you worry about such trivial things and poke your nose into other peoples business. Get a life lad. Just as a suggestion why not go to WS and talk to the FTPA's--maybe your behind the scenes thinking might change. Over and Out.

I responded to your post, the same as you did to mine. If that is for some reason "sad," welcome to the group.

If you think police doing something illegal is "trivial," so be it, I don't.

If by "poke" my "nose into other people's business," you mean I simply ask questions on an internet discussion forum, then yes, I guess I and every other member who ever asked questions on a thread are guilty.

Go to Walking Street? I don't think so, not after that intimidating and challenging line has been used by TPV before. This is a discussion forum, why can't people involved with the program simply discuss it without resorting to name-calling and the use of threatening overtones or storming off anytime an uncomfortable or unflattering post is made?

The Psychological Influence of the Police Uniform. Most people can identify law enforcement officers by their official police uniform. When citizens on a busy street need help, they scan the crowd of pedestrians looking for Looking for

In the context of general equities, this describing a buy interest in which a dealer is asked to offer stock, often involving a capital commitment. Antithesis of in touch with. the distinctive uniform of a police officer. Normally, drivers who arrive at an intersection and find a person in a police uniform directing traffic willingly submit to that person's hand directions. Criminals usually curb their unlawful behavior when they spot a uniformed police officer. Many parents teach their children to respect and trust a person in police attire. Police academy recruits relish the day when they finally wear their official uniforms.

The crisp uniform of the police officer conveys power and authority. When officers put on their uniforms, citizens believe that they embody stereotypes about all police officers. Research has suggested that clothing has a powerful impact on how people perceive each other. The police officer's uniform has a profound psychological impact on others, and even slight alterations to the style of the uniform may change how citizens perceive them.

The police uniform represents a tradition as old as the field of law enforcement. In 1829, the London Metropolitan Police, the first modem police force, developed standard police apparel. These first police officers, the famous "Bobbies" of London, wore a dark blue, paramilitary-style uniform. The color blue helped to distinguish the police from the British military, who wore red and white uniforms. In 1845, the city of New York New York, state, United States

New York, Middle Atlantic state of the United States. It is bordered by Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and the Atlantic Ocean (E), New Jersey and Pennsylvania (S), Lakes Erie and Ontario and the Canadian province of established the first official police force in the United States United States, officially United States of America, republic (2005 est. pop. 295,734,000), 3,539,227 sq mi (9,166,598 sq km), North America. The United States is the world's third largest country in population and the fourth largest country in area. . Based on the London police The term London Police could refer to one of several separate police forces:

• City of London Police - The police force for the City of London.
  • Metropolitan Police Service - The police force for the rest of Greater London.

, the New York City New York City: see New York, city. New York City

City (pop., 2000: 8,008,278), southeastern New York, at the mouth of the Hudson River. The largest city in the U.S. Police Department adopted the dark blue uniform in 1853. Other cities, such as Philadelphia, Boston, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Buffalo, and Detroit, quickly followed by establishing police departments based on the London model and included the adoption of the dark blue, paramilitary-style uniform. [1]

Today, most U.S. law enforcement agencies A law enforcement agency (LEA) is a term used to describe any agency which enforces the law. This may be a local or state police, federal agencies such as the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) or the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). continue to select police uniforms generally dark in color with a paramilitary par·a·mil·i·tar·y

adj.

Of, relating to, or being a group of civilians organized in a military fashion, especially to operate in place of or assist regular army troops.

n. pl. appearance. Agencies may prefer dark colors for their ease in cleaning and their ability to help conceal the wearer m tactical situations. Dark colors help hide stains and keep officers hidden from criminals, especially at night. [2] However, why do most agencies insist that patrol officers dress in uniforms? Perhaps, the uniform actually psychologically influences the public's perception of officers.

The Social Significance of Clothing

Individuals seek clues about others from their appearance. Clothing provides one powerful clue to an individual's background [3] and serves as a mental shortcut (1) In Windows, a shortcut is an icon that points to a program or data file. Shortcuts can be placed on the desktop or stored in other folders, and double clicking a shortcut is the same as double clicking the original file. to identify a person's sex, status, group membership, legitimacy, authority, and occupation. Clothing and physical appearance are important in the initial development of social relationships. [4] Studies have revealed that physical appearance, including clothing, remains the factor used most often in developing a first impression of someone [5] and has an even greater effect than personality. [6]

In early social interactions, clothing has a significant psychological influence on people's perceptions. In one study, personnel administrators rated the competency COMPETENCY, evidence. The legal fitness or ability of a witness to be heard on the trial of a cause. This term is also applied to written or other evidence which may be legally given on such trial, as, depositions, letters, account-books, and the like.

2. of similar female job applicants. They consistently rated the women in conservative, slightly masculine attire as the most competent. [7] In another experiment, both high school students and teachers rated pictures of female athletes dressed either in uniforms or casual clothes. Participants perceived all of the athletes in uniform as being more professional, possessing higher ability, and having more team spirit. [8] Similarly, other research revealed that both students and teachers rated photos of students dressed in private school-type uniforms as having higher scholastic ability. [9]

Additionally, the uniform worn by a police officer elicits stereotypes about that person's status, authority, attitudes, and motivations. The police uniform identifies a person with powers to arrest and use force and establishes order and conformity within the ranks of those who wear it by suppressing individuality. [10] The police uniform can have extraordinary psychological and physical impact. Depending on the background of the citizen, the police uniform can elicit e·lic·it

tr.v. e·lic·it·ed, e·lic·it·ing, e·lic·its

a. To bring or draw out (something latent); educe.

b. To arrive at (a truth, for example) by logic.

2. emotions ranging from pride and respect, to fear and anger.

The Power of the Police Uniform

Research has supported suggestions about the police uniform's power and authority. In one study, individuals ranked 25 different occupational uniforms by several categories of feelings. The test subjects consistently ranked the police uniform as the one most likely to induce feelings of safety. [11] In another experiment, participants consistently rated models as more competent, reliable, intelligent, and helpful when pictured in a police uniform, rather than in casual clothes. [12] When an individual wearing a police-style uniform stood on a sidewalk A Microsoft service that was launched in 1997 to provide online arts and entertainment guides on the Web for major cities worldwide. In 1999, Microsoft sold Sidewalk to Ticketmaster, which continued to provide guides, ticketing and other information to the MSN network. near a corner, drivers committed fewer turn violations at that intersection. This occurred even though the uniform did not represent a real police department in the area, and the individual did not display a badge or weapon. [13]

In one experiment to test the power of the police uniform, a research assistant randomly approached pedestrians on a city street and ordered them to either pick up a paper bag, give a dime to another person, or step back from a bus stop. [14] The research assistant alternately wore casual clothes, a milk delivery uniform, or a grey, police-style uniform bearing a badge but lacking weapons. Only the police-style uniform resulted in a high rate of cooperation from citizens. Moreover, obedience to the police-style uniform usually continued even after the research assistant quickly walked away and did not watch to ensure compliance. [15]

Changes in the Uniform Style

Although the police uniform in general suggests the authority of the wearer, details about a police officer's uniform, such as the style of hat or the tailoring, can influence the level of authority emanating from the officer. Study participants in one experiment evaluated photographs of uniformed male and female police officers wearing nine different styles of head gear, including no hat at all. Even though psychological tests Psychological Tests Definition

Psychological tests are written, visual, or verbal evaluations administered to assess the cognitive and emotional functioning of children and adults. showed that participants perceived the officers to have authority under all of the circumstances, the type of hat varied the level of authority attributed to the officer. The traditional "bus driver" garrison cap and the "smoky Smoky, river, c.250 mi (400 km) long, rising in Jasper National Park, W Alta., Canada, and flowing generally NE to the Peace River. It receives the Wapiti and Little Smoky rivers. It was explored (1792) by Alexander Mackenzie. bear" campaign hat conveyed more authority than the baseball cap or no hat at all. [16]

Many studies have addressed the influence of eliminating the paramilitary style of the police uniform. In one experiment, students viewed black and white drawings of three styles of police uniforms. Two of the uniforms represented a traditional paramilitary style, but lacked a duty belt or weapons. The third, nontraditional uniform consisted of a sport coat, or blazer, over slacks and a shirt with a tie. Although students ranked all three uniforms similarly for objectivity and trustworthiness trustworthiness Ethics A principle in which a person both deserves the trust of others and does not violate that trust , the blazer-style uniform ranked slightly higher for professionalism. [17] However, a similar experiment using color photos found the traditional, paramilitary style uniforms ranked as more honest, good, helpful, and competent than the blazer uniform. [18]

In 1969, the Menlo Park, California Menlo Park is a city in San Mateo County, California in the United States of America. It is located at latitude 37°29' North, longitude 122°9' East. Menlo Park had 30,785 inhabitants as of the 2000 U.S. Census. , Police Department discontinued dis·con·tin·ue

v. dis·con·tin·ued, dis·con·tin·u·ing, dis·con·tin·ues

v.tr.

1. To stop doing or providing (something); end or abandon: their traditional navy blue, paramilitary-style uniforms and adopted a nontraditional uniform hoping to improve police-community relations. The new, nontraditional uniform consisted of a forest green blazer worn over black slacks, a white shirt, and a black tie. Officers displayed their badges on the blazer and concealed their weapons under the coat. [19] When other agencies heard about Menlo Park's attempt, over 400 other police departments in the United States also experimented with a blazer-style uniform. [20]

After wearing the new uniforms for 18 months, the Menlo Park Menlo Park.

1 Residential city (1990 pop. 28,040), San Mateo co., W Calif.; inc. 1874. Electronic equipment and aerospace products are manufactured in the city. Menlo College and a Stanford Univ. research institute are there.

2 Uninc. police officers displayed fewer authoritarian characteristics on psychological tests when compared to officers in the surrounding jurisdictions. [21] Also, after wearing the uniforms for over a year, assaults on the Menlo Park police decreased by 30 percent and injuries to civilians by the police dropped 50 percent. Originally, the department thought the uniform changes resulted in these decreased rates, but other variables factored in at the same time. The number of college-educated officers in the department increased dramatically and the agency abolished its traditional autocratic management style during this same time period. [22]

In 1977, after using the blazer-style uniform for 8 years, the Years, The

the seven decades of Eleanor Pargiter's life. [br. Lit.: Benét, 1109]

See : Time Menlo Park Police Department determined that it did not command respect; therefore, they returned to a traditional, paramilitary-style uniform. A final evaluation showed that, although assaults on officers had dropped during the first 18 months of the new uniform implementation, the number of assaults steadily began to rise again until it doubled the amount of the year before the uniform change occurred. During the 4 years after the Menlo Park police returned to a traditional uniform, the number of assaults on their officers dropped steadily. [23]

Experiments with hats and the style of the police uniform suggest that changes in the design of a police uniform can have an effect on the perceived authority, power, and ability to control. Does the color of the uniform psychologically influence the people who view it and have an effect on the officer wearing the uniform as well?

The Influences of Color not of the white race; - commonly meaning, esp. in the United States, of negro blood, pure or mixed.

See also: Color

Many police departments in the United States use darker colors for their uniforms, such as black, blue, brown, green, or grey. Just as with the style of the police uniform, the color of the uniform also has meaning. Psychological tests have found that individuals associate colors with specific moods. For example, people generally associate red with excitement and stimulation, which explains why agencies often use it for flashing emergency vehicle lights. These tests also have found that individuals associate the color blue with feelings of security and comfort and the color black with power and strength. [24]

Studies of both U.S. high school and college students have found that students perceived light colors, such as white and yellow, as weak, but also as good and active. The same students perceived dark colors, such as black and brown, as strong and passive, but also as bad. Cultural influences did not affect these results, which did not vary with the race of the students. [25]

People in Europe, Western Asia, Central Africa, and the Middle East had similar perceptions of colors. Across all cultures studied, people consistently associated light colors with goodness and weakness and dark colors as strong, but evil. [26] On psychological inventories, test subjects rated lighter colors as more pleasant and less dominant. Dark colors, on the other hand, elicited emotions of anger, hostility, dominance, and aggression. [27]

Color has a considerable impact on clothing and perceptions of the wearer. When people rated pictures of models for attractiveness, clothing color appeared the most common determinant determinant, a polynomial expression that is inherent in the entries of a square matrix. The size n of the square matrix, as determined from the number of entries in any row or column, is called the order of the determinant. . [28] Individuals perceived job applicants wearing dark business suits as more powerful and competent than those who wore lighter colored suits. [29] Another interesting study found that referees who viewed several videotaped plays of a football game more likely assessed stiffer penalties against a football team wearing a black uniform than against a team wearing a brightly colored uniform. The referees consistently perceived the team in black as more aggressive. An analysis of all professional football and hockey teams in the United States, which found that teams in darker uniforms received far more penalties for roughness than teams in lighter uniforms, supported this experiment. Again, these results suggest that referees negatively perceive teams in darker uniforms. [30]

Moreover, experiments have suggested that athletes act more aggressively when dressed in dark colors. One researcher asked college students dressed in black jerseys and grouped into teams of five to rank which sports they would most like to play. The students consistently ranked the most aggressive sports, such as football and rugby, at the top of the list. A new group of students dressed in white jerseys repeated the experiment. This time, the students selected less aggressive sports, such as baseball or basketball. [31]

Applying the results of these studies in color to the police uniform suggests that darker police uniforms may send negative subconscious subconscious: see unconscious. signals to citizens. A dark police uniform may subconsciously sub·con·scious

adj.

Not wholly conscious; partially or imperfectly conscious: subconscious perceptions.

n.

The part of the mind below the level of conscious perception. Often used with the. encourage citizens to perceive officers as aggressive, evil, or corrupt and send a negative message to the community. The experiment with the colored jerseys also suggests that police officers in dark uniforms subconsciously may act more aggressively; therefore, departments should consider modifying police uniform colors.

In one experiment, researchers presented subjects with color photos of two traditional paramilitary-style uniforms. One of the uniforms consisted of the dark navy blue shirt and pants commonly worn by municipal police agencies today. The other traditional uniform resembled that of California sheriff's deputies, consisting of a khaki khaki (kăk`ē, kä`kē) [Hindi,=dust-colored], closely twilled cloth of linen or cotton, dyed a dust color. It was first used (1848) for uniforms for the English regiment of Sir Harry Burnett Lumsden in India and later became the shirt and dark green pants. Although subjects ranked both uniforms similarly as good, honest, helpful, and competent, the lighter colored sheriff's uniform rated noticeably higher for warmth and friendliness. Because the sheriff's uniform only has a light colored shirt, with the pants still very dark, [32] a half dark uniform sends a better message than the all dark blue or black uniform.

With today's focus on community-oriented policing A philosophy that combines traditional aspects of law enforcement with prevention measures, problem-solving, community engagement, and community partnerships.

From the 1930s to the 1960s, U.S. law enforcement relied on a professional policing model. and efforts to present a friendlier image to the public, the color of the police officer's uniform might make the task more difficult than necessary. Because of citizens' negative psychological perception of dark colors, they may perceive a police officer in a negative manner partly because of the officer's uniform color. If referees believe athletes wearing black exhibit more aggressive behavior, citizens might perceive officers in black uniforms as more aggressive than those wearing lighter colored uniforms.

Officer Safety Concerns

The police uniform also may influence the safety level of the officer who wears it. Dark colored uniforms may elicit subconscious negative feelings from citizens, who may perceive the officer as aggressive, and subsequently, encourage them to consider violent action when confronted by the police.

In addition to the color, the condition of a police officer's uniform and equipment also can have an impact on the officer's safety. Interviews with prison inmates who have murdered police officers indicate that the killers often visually "sized up" the officer before deciding to use violence. If the officer looked or acted "unprofessional" in the assailant's eyes, then the assailant felt capable of successfully resisting the officer. A dirty or wrinkled uniform or a badly worn duty belt may convey to suspects that officers have complacent com·pla·cent

adj.

1. Contented to a fault; self-satisfied and unconcerned: He had become complacent after years of success.

2. Eager to please; complaisant. attitudes about their job. This complacency com·pla·cen·cy

n.

1. A feeling of contentment or self-satisfaction, especially when coupled with an unawareness of danger, trouble, or controversy.

2. An instance of contented self-satisfaction. can invite violence. [33]

In many situations involving the use of force, the fact that a police officer has a distinguishable uniform can help prevent the officer's injury or death. An officer in plainclothes plain·clothes or plain-clothes

adj.

Wearing civilian clothes while on duty to avoid being identified as police or security: a plainclothes detective. risks harm by citizens and other officers as a result of misidentification. In certain scenarios, almost all police officers immediately would draw their weapon on people wearing jeans and a T-shirt and carrying a gun in their hand. A plainclothes officer chasing a burglary suspect through backyards at night risks being shot by a home owner home owner home n → propriétaire occupant who believes the officer is a criminal. The uniform helps both citizens and fellow police officers identify the wearer as having a legitimate purpose for trespassing, using force, or carrying a weapon. [34]

Conclusion

The uniform of a police officer conveys the power and authority of the person wearing it. Research has shown that clothing, including the police uniform, has a powerful psychological impact. When individuals come into contact with each other, they subconsciously search for clues about the other person to understand the context of the encounter. The police uniform represents a powerful clue to the wearer's authority, capability, and status.

Additionally, research has revealed that the uniform has a subconscious psychological influence on people, based on the person's preconceived pre·con·ceive

tr.v. pre·con·ceived, pre·con·ceiv·ing, pre·con·ceives

To form (an opinion, for example) before possessing full or adequate knowledge or experience. feelings about police officers. Citizens in the presence of a person in a police uniform cooperate more and curb their illegal or deviant behaviors For the scholarly journal, see .

"Deviant" redirects here. For other uses, see Deviant (disambiguation).

Deviant behavior is behavior that is a recognized violation of social norms. Formal and informal social controls attempt to prevent or minimize deviance. .

Alterations to the traditional, paramilitary police uniform can result in changes in public perceptions. The style of the clothes, the type of hat worn, the color of the material, and even the condition of the clothes and equipment have an influence on how citizens perceive officers. For these reasons, police administrators seriously should consider their uniform policies. Selecting a uniform style, following regulations on properly wearing the uniform, maintaining uniforms, and designing policies to address when officers may wear plainclothes should command serious attention from department managers. After all, the uniform stands as one of the most important visual representations of the law enforcement profession.

Mr. Johnson, formerly an Indiana State Trooper and a military police officer, is an investigator with the Kane County, Illinois Kane County is a county located in the U.S. state of Illinois. As of 2000, the population was 404,119. As of 2005, the population is estimated at 482,113. Its county seat is Geneva, Illinois6, and its largest city is Aurora. , State's Attorney Noun 1. state's attorney - a prosecuting attorney for a state

state attorney

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+Psycholo...form-a073845616

Edited by Owain

Bangkok people should stick to their own threads? I thought this story was in the Bangkok Post? Or was the Pattaya City News and I just misread.

My whole point is that Captain Howie seems to feel justified in criticising the work and professionalism of this journalist yet bristles with indignation at any cynicism directed towards him.

The story seemed fair. You didn't come out of it too badly. Journo talked to more than half a dozen people on Walking Street about their perceptions of the farang milk monitors. Quite a balanced response.

So why so touchy? Unable to take a little heat on a messageboard? Thank god they don't let you have a gun.

for all of you that think the black, imitating, authoritative look on the "farang volunteers" is good, as it shows authority, remember, they are not police officers, but farangs here to help. leave the real police and the real tourist police with their authoritative uniforms and let the farang "volunteers" dress like what they are supposed to be. they can wear an authoritative hat and load it up with decals if they want. I think it is a terrible look for walking street tourists, when the TPV, looking like a gang, make their journey along walking street in mass. It sure doesn't make me want to approach them with a question or needing help

Why do these invariably end in name calling?

Howard responded to some sensible questions but invariably when he realistically suggests that rather than open another can of worms thread on TV, you are free to ask questions in person, some people get upset; usually the same people. This opens up the thread to all sorts of verbal abuse which cannot be remotely construed as criticism and invariably requires active moderation. Admittedly, there seems to be greater interest from those outside Pattaya (if members stated 'Place' is to be believed) and they can't readily drop by on Friday and ask personally. However, certain members recycle the old work permit rant while others allude to unprofessional acts or anecdotal tales of bad behavior so it all becomes an exercise in futility.

For each and every one who posts derogatory comments about 'wannabe cops' and 'power trips' as the motivation for becoming a volunteer, I see someone who has some ingrained resentment for any form of authority, uniformed and otherwise. Who knows, maybe they never got made a milk monitor at school either?

For each and every one who posts derogatory comments about 'wannabe cops' and 'power trips' as the motivation for becoming a volunteer, I see someone who has some ingrained resentment for any form of authority, uniformed and otherwise. Who knows, maybe they never got made a milk monitor at school either?

Fair enough. It's true that I am resentful of the fact that Mrs Hodgkinson never let me carry her bag to the classroom when I was 7.

But leaving my chippy psychological problems (which include a desire to sleep with my own mother and hide inside plastic carrier bags) aside for a moment, what about my charge that Captain Howie openly slandered a journalist but cannot face up to any criticism himself?

Why do these invariably end in name calling?

Howard responded to some sensible questions but invariably when he realistically suggests that rather than open another can of worms thread on TV, you are free to ask questions in person, some people get upset; usually the same people. This opens up the thread to all sorts of verbal abuse which cannot be remotely construed as criticism and invariably requires active moderation. Admittedly, there seems to be greater interest from those outside Pattaya (if members stated 'Place' is to be believed) and they can't readily drop by on Friday and ask personally. However, certain members recycle the old work permit rant while others allude to unprofessional acts or anecdotal tales of bad behavior so it all becomes an exercise in futility.

we always beat up the milk monitor at school.............. I think they were holding out on us :o

[one ridiculous post deserves another]

I dont think these posts were what the op originally had in mind for this thread

Edited by Lost in LOS

Had to comment again......

Some of the remarks are childish in the extreme... I still teach Law Enforcement & Military Teams part time & travel a lot (By the way , I wear Black BDUs & Uniforms out doors & Blue & Black in the Classrooms for Interrogators).

I did not feel intimidated by the Ghurkas in Singapore Airport who walked between us with Machine Guns in company with a Military Policeman with one also as I was changing flights.

I did not feel intimidated by the LAX Airport Police on their Motor movers with .40cal pistols , Tasers,Dual Cuffs,expandable Batons,OC (pepper Spray) etc geared up on duty.

If you feel intimidated by Police Volunteers in Walking Street , there is something very wrong with your outlook . Don't go to San Diego , or any other Major cities in the USA , Police Volunteers are everywhere & a some of them have full Powers including carriage of weapons .

This post is going similar to the way a similar one went about a year or so ago.

If I had a business in walking Street , I would feel very good seeing the FPV on duty.

I have been to walking street many times over the years & the FPV certainly don't intimidate me , nor the other Aussie Tourists that have been with me there.

I suspect there a a few hidden agendas going on in this forum & some personal interactions that are beyond the spirit of the post.

:o

Without wishing to argue with Howard over the choice of black for the uniform colour of the Pattaya volunteers, I can explain why the Phuket team try to avoid any semblance of a military-style uniform.

Our motto is 'Serve & Protect'. We are there to help tourists and expats. That also includes helping drunken tourists and rude tourists! (Remember the adage 'sticks & stones will break my bones but words will not harm me').

We are not present in Bangla road (Patong) to 'spoil the fun'.

Sometimes (OK, many times!), we have to deal with drunken tourists who perhaps refuse to pay their bar-bill, or are becoming aggressive to others.

Well, we could 'steam' in with truncheons ready, dressed in military garb and 'force' a rapid end to the situation.

But we prefer to use a softly-softly but firm approach, because dealing with a potentially dangerous situation in a calm manner will earn us the respect of everyone involved, (including the aggressor).

Our aim is to amicably resolve and defuse the sitation, without needing to summons the Thai police.

So, by wearing a non-military attire, and SMILING, we gain the confidence of tourists, expats, bar-owners and the Thai police.

Our strategy works! But I do agree with Howard that white shirts get dirty very quickly :o

I'm still working on the removal of truncheons from the batman belt, but without much succes so far.

As to the issue of WPs - still unresolved! Our request for supporting letters has been passed up and up the chain of command within the Thai Tourist Police, and will surely soon reach the pinnacle of the command chain, (who presumably will be totally unaware of the reason for this request in the first place!).

Simon

Without wishing to argue with Howard over the choice of black for the uniform colour of the Pattaya volunteers, I can explain why the Phuket team try to avoid any semblance of a military-style uniform.

Our motto is 'Serve & Protect'. We are there to help tourists and expats. That also includes helping drunken tourists and rude tourists! (Remember the adage 'sticks & stones will break my bones but words will not harm me').

We are not present in Bangla road (Patong) to 'spoil the fun'.

Sometimes (OK, many times!), we have to deal with drunken tourists who perhaps refuse to pay their bar-bill, or are becoming aggressive to others.

Well, we could 'steam' in with truncheons ready, dressed in military garb and 'force' a rapid end to the situation.

But we prefer to use a softly-softly but firm approach, because dealing with a potentially dangerous situation in a calm manner will earn us the respect of everyone involved, (including the aggressor).

Our aim is to amicably resolve and defuse the sitation, without needing to summons the Thai police.

So, by wearing a non-military attire, and SMILING, we gain the confidence of tourists, expats, bar-owners and the Thai police.

Our strategy works! But I do agree with Howard that white shirts get dirty very quickly :o

I'm still working on the removal of truncheons from the batman belt, but without much succes so far.

As to the issue of WPs - still unresolved! Our request for supporting letters has been passed up and up the chain of command within the Thai Tourist Police, and will surely soon reach the pinnacle of the command chain, (who presumably will be totally unaware of the reason for this request in the first place!).

Simon

Has the Pattaya version of TPV submitted a similar letter to get the ball rolling on becoming legal with work permits?

Otherwise, thank you Simon for your post. Clearly discussing things with you is far more progressive than the stonewalling that usually seems to characterize the Pattaya TPV threads.

You are a credit to the Phuket TPV in your logic and sincerity. It's a tremendous shame the same can't be said for my more local group.

I did not feel intimidated by the LAX Airport Police on their Motor movers with .40cal pistols , Tasers,Dual Cuffs,expandable Batons,OC (pepper Spray) etc geared up on duty.

If you feel intimidated by Police Volunteers in Walking Street , there is something very wrong with your outlook . Don't go to San Diego , or any other Major cities in the USA , Police Volunteers are everywhere & a some of them have full Powers including carriage of weapons .

As you seem to like security done US style what you think about installing one of those scanners that are installed in more and more major US airports that allow to see people naked when they walk through...

Sarcasm aside...and this is meant by all means non-sarcastic: the more I read in this thread the more I get the impression that the FTPV members happily serve as cannon fodder for Farang-related incidents in WS as the official Thai police is hopelessly understaffed with one person on duty only.

Not sure if this is a solution letting volunteers of whom we still don't know how their records are checked and how they are trained for their mission police a rather difficult part of town. I for one would prefer properly trained policemen on government's payroll.

<snip>

I will only say that in my book, any farang who has aspirations to be a cop in Pattaya has somethging lacking in their sad lives - except Howard, of course, who is my ultimate super hero. :o

Edited by soundman
No comments on moderation mobi.

As a relative newcomer, I feel I should like to add something positive to this thread.

I have a bit of experience in clothing manufacturing.

It seems that black is a practical colour for our helpful crimefighting boys on the street

so I have come up with a solution.....

modern screen printing inks are water (and blood) proof and the utlilty belt would be in 'police' style reflective plastic, again wipable to keep up apperances after combat

Feel free to use the design, I am sure it will help to give you a much more tourist friendly image...

post-75764-1233050732_thumb.jpg

Hmm, I got myself a parking offence the other day and went to pay my ticket at the beach road police branch. That’s when I spotted one of the black shirts patiently listening at the “the girl did me wrong” story of a seriously drunk falang. Seated on the TG chairs waiting for my driving license I witness one the biggest crap ever… the Black Shirt however did not loose his cool and try to sort things out.

Kudos for this guy and if ever in trouble would surely appreciate their help. They are doing this town a service.

Now to get things strait. They are participating into law enforcement. Do they have a valid work permit? What if something goes wrong in the line of duty, getting hurt or hurting someone else? Do the authorities give them some kind of legal status?

Helping out is nice and appreciated by most of us, however it makes me question how much the authorities themselves appreciate it.