Giving Birth In Bangkok. How Much Does It Cost?

ihightower

My wife is pregnant (second one) and due to give birth sometime in Jun 09. I would like to know what are the costs of giving birth in these hospitals, from your experience...

1) Bangkok Christian Hospital (BCH), Silom

2) St. Louis Hospital, Sathorn

3) Any reputed Government Hospital. I don't know may be, Lerdsin Silom or Chulalongkorn or anything

Please.. we do not wish to hear about all those high-end hospitals like Bumrungrad, Samitivej, Bangkok Hospital, etc. as I already know from other postings the prices are totally beyond our means.

Any foreigners (non-thai speaking) had any experience giving birth in a Government Hospital. Are Government Hospital services any good from your experience.

Currently, all our medical needs are centered around BCH, Silom.

Please state precisely in monetary terms (THB figures) and the services included. Thank you.

Delivery in any of the major goivernment hospitals in Bkk will be both safe and affordable, but expect a lot of long waits in the course of getting registered, having antenatal appointments etc, and little or no English speaking.

St Louis and BCH will be only marginally more expensive and a great deal more convenient, and should be posisble to find an English speaking doctor. Nurses will have limited English but some, probably better than in a govt hosp.

While the medical quality of the services at any of these places should not be an issue, it may prove difficult to arrnge for the husband to be in the delivery room, rooming-in post delivery etc, and desire for these things is one reason why some people opt to pay more for the "ïnternational" hospitals.

If any of these are important to you, chances to at least let you be present at the birth are better at BCH and St Louis than they would be at a govt hospital and would mainly be up to the individual doctor, so something you could ask about ahead of time.

I don't know the costs but both hospitals offer delivery packages, contact them and ask

http://www.saintlouis.or.th/contact/index.php

[email protected]

Our son was born (naturally) in St Louis Hospital last October, the bill was just over 30,000 Baht. My wife had a single room which was big enough to also accomodate her parents and an aunt! The staff were all wonderful - from the obstetrician and paediatrician to the cleaners and everyone "in between". The facilities are all up to date and you don't feel like you are involved with a giant money making machine - I believe the hospital is run on a not-for-profit basis.

Further to Sheryl's post; I was in the delivery room for the birth, the doctors all speak reasonably good English, most of the nurses speak a little English.

Edited by lingyaiyai

My eldest daughter was born in Chulalongkorn Hospital 1997 at a cost of under Bt5,000. My youngest daughter was born there 2002 at a cost of under Bt8,000. I was not allowed to be present during their births – a nurse explained that several mothers were attended to at the same time making it impractical for fathers to be in attendance. I was very pleased with the level of English spoken, the cleanliness, and the quality of care.

These costs were based on a natural birth, 2-night stay in a 4-bed ward. Single rooms are also available at a slightly higher charge.

As Sheryl says however, “expect a lot of long waits in the course of getting registered, having antenatal appointments etc.” Despite this, I very much recommend this hospital. I require surgery for varicose veins – I expect I’ll have the surgery at this hospital.

My eldest daughter was born in Chulalongkorn Hospital 1997 at a cost of under Bt5,000. My youngest daughter was born there 2002 at a cost of under Bt8,000. I was not allowed to be present during their births – a nurse explained that several mothers were attended to at the same time making it impractical for fathers to be in attendance. I was very pleased with the level of English spoken, the cleanliness, and the quality of care.

These costs were based on a natural birth, 2-night stay in a 4-bed ward. Single rooms are also available at a slightly higher charge.

As Sheryl says however, "expect a lot of long waits in the course of getting registered, having antenatal appointments etc." Despite this, I very much recommend this hospital. I require surgery for varicose veins – I expect I'll have the surgery at this hospital.

Thanks for your reply.

Is Chulalongkorn Hospital the one opposite Lumpini Park, Silom Road junction as I see in Google Maps??

For antenatal checkups.. do you think I can go straight there.. do the long wait.. get registered.. and get checked by doctor with no further requirements apart from my passport/work permit, etc. OR are there some other formalities required... like some govt cert.. social security, etc. Which floor for registration, antenatal check up times, etc.

How about the language? I can't speak Thai at all except a very few basic what, how, where, left, right, stuff.. so do you think I will survive on my own for the registration process with a bit of good judgment and sign language.

Are the prices there for example, antenatal checkups.. same as the locals or different price for foreigners?

Are you a foreigner also who can't speak Thai?

As Sheryl says however, "expect a lot of long waits in the course of getting registered, having antenatal appointments etc." Despite this, I very much recommend this hospital. I require surgery for varicose veins – I expect I'll have the surgery at this hospital.

Thanks for your reply.

Is Chulalongkorn Hospital the one opposite Lumpini Park, Silom Road junction as I see in Google Maps??

Yes

For antenatal checkups.. do you think I can go straight there.. do the long wait.. get registered.. and get checked by doctor with no further requirements apart from my passport/work permit, etc. OR are there some other formalities required... like some govt cert.. social security, etc. Which floor for registration, antenatal check up times, etc.

Yes. I was assuming that your wife is Thai; no requirement for you to show your passport and no requirement for you to have a work permit. Your wife only needs to show her ID card and probably also her house registration document (tibian baan). No other formalities. registration is on the ground floor - the staff will then direct you to the correct floor (I can't recall). If your wife is not Thai, I guess it would be a very good idea to present her passport.

How about the language? I can't speak Thai at all except a very few basic what, how, where, left, right, stuff.. so do you think I will survive on my own for the registration process with a bit of good judgment and sign language.

If your wife is Thai language should hardly be a problem for her. My Thai is reasonable now but almost non-existent 13 years ago - the doctors spoke good English and some nurses and admin staff spoke a little English. Since my wife is Thai, this wasn't a problem. Nevertheless, I'm sure you will get by on English only should it be the case that your wife is not Thai. The hospital signs (wards, clinics, etc) are all in English and Thai as far as I remember.

Are the prices there for example, antenatal checkups.. same as the locals or different price for foreigners?

Yes, same price for locals and foreigners. I've been treated there as an outpatient for back problems - I always paid the normal Thai price.

As above, I'm not Thai (I'm Scottish), but my wife is.

Please see my replies in red above.

Unless you have a Thai spouse or friend who can accompany you for at least the first visit/registration, you are going to find this very tough going and between the communication hassles and very long waits I would really recommend St Louis or BCH instead, their costs are not that much more (especially if you opt for non-private room). Both are non-profit.

Unless you have a Thai spouse or friend who can accompany you for at least the first visit/registration, you are going to find this very tough going and between the communication hassles and very long waits I would really recommend St Louis or BCH instead, their costs are not that much more (especially if you opt for non-private room). Both are non-profit.

Thank you all.

I might go there once to check on the latest prices just to get the idea. If it is only a difference of say up to +/-5000 baht for delivery package. i may continue to do the checkups and delivery in BCH itself.

If anyone know latest prices 2008-9 in Chulalongkorn Hospital, please do post here.

Thank you again.

Thank you all.

I might go there once to check on the latest prices just to get the idea. If it is only a difference of say up to +/-5000 baht for delivery package. i may continue to do the checkups and delivery in BCH itself.

If anyone know latest prices 2008-9 in Chulalongkorn Hospital, please do post here.

Thank you again.

Yesterday I went to BCH and I got the following information which was on the leaflet I was given. Both are for Private Rooms.

Normal THB26,000 for 2 nights 3 days (but the poster on the wall said 29K)

Caesarian THB39,000 for 3 nights 4 days ( " " " said 42K)

I am not happy with the price as I hoped there may be an option of 2 or 4 beds in a ward, for which the information counter said not possible.h

Anyone have other experience here in BCH.

Khonwan -> Me and my wife are both non-thai and can only speak English and a very basic YES/NO/No problem Thai. I forgot to say this in my previous posting.

• 2 years later...

Natural birth (i.e. vaginal delivery, which is what the term is used to mean in Thailand) is always less expensive than a c-section, anywhere in the world.

The majority of Thais deliver in government hospitals naturally.

Elective c-section is common, but by no means universal, among the minority who deliver in a private hospital. (elective = by choice, not medical necessity)

See also this thread http://www.thaivisa....sarean-section/