Thai Airlines

jimmym40

A few days ago I booked for LHR-BKK-LHR on Thai, outward travel on 31st March for £497 each via West-East Travel. The only extra was the credit card booking fee. If I remember correctly, that's exactly the same price as I paid for indirect flights on Qatar last autumn. At the time, seats on Thai were going at above £600, so they've come down a good deal, but not 45-50%

When did anything ever happen quickly in LOS........Poo Cha Cha..........

let them think about it for a while .........dont rush "em..otherwise get head aaaak...tink too mut...... :o

The man who signs the chitty to authorise the BIG 50% discounts has probably gone home to his village in Udon for Chinese New Year and will discuss it with the local pui yai bann....and then...........

When did anything ever happen quickly in LOS........Poo Cha Cha..........

let them think about it for a while .........dont rush "em..otherwise get head aaaak...tink too mut...... :o

The man who signs the chitty to authorise the BIG 50% discounts has probably gone home to his village in Udon for Chinese New Year and will discuss it with the local pui yai bann....and then...........

and then.... will go to the temple. And will light some candles.

We'll see after. Or maybe... never. It doesn't matter.

Of course, meanwhile and those threads are a living proof, you will create thousands of frustrated western people, looking desperately for the discounts.

But it doesn't matter. Really. :D

:-) it is like comparing Apples to Oranges... or buying a Toyota and a BMW. If I compare the price of a BMW to a TOYOTA... the price is 50% cheaper... most of the time you get what you pay for.

In relative terms costs are the same for each airline traveling to same market segment... Etthad for example is trying to BREAK IN to the Thai Market and thus my offer a special fare. 99% of the time there are heavy restrictions... specific time periods and even days of the week you can get this fare. And the number of seats at this far are certainly limited. Often the are also NON-REFUNDABLE.

Airline seat pricing is based on many factors... capacity of the aircraft, price of fuel, market segment and the largest factor is demand. Thai airways price for that flight is 40,000 THB... and they are most likely 80% full already for the flight in question... and Etthad's flight is at 20,000 THB... and still has seats available... there is a reason for that :-)

If your travel plans fit the requirements of the fare and you are 100% sure you will travel... go for it. Like I said... deals are out there... just red the fine print... they are often not what they appear to be.

I always call the airlines direct.. check with 2-3 travel agencies and about 5 websites before I book my ticket.

You can't get the discounts because they have yet to be approved:

Cabinet set to weigh fresh requests today

Massive financial aid sought for tourism, property and villages

The Nation

20 January 2008

The tourism and real-estate sectors and rural villages will receive a big financial boost if the Cabinet approves multibillion-baht proposals from several ministries today.

The Tourism and Sports Ministry alone will submit a set of 13 urgent measures involving a proposed state budget of more than Bt6.8 billion.

The secretary-general of the PM's Office will seek approval for another Bt6 billion for a sufficiency-economy rural-development programme.

In addition, the Finance Ministry will propose a new incentive to boost real-estate sales by offering home-buyers a tax-deductible allowance ranging from Bt200,000 to Bt500,000 a unit.

Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silapa-archa said the proposed measures aimed at recovery were wide-ranging, including waiving visa fees for three months for visitors of all nationalities.

Thai Airways International will also consider reducing air fares by up to 50 per cent in a bid to encourage tourists to return to Thailand.

Moreover, the ministry will ask for a Bt6.8-billion budget to help small and medium-sized enterprises hit by the economic crisis and airport closures late last year.

There will also be an unspecified budget for advance payments to tourists inconvenienced by the 10-day airport seizures.

Each person may receive Bt2,000, said the minister.

International airports in Thailand will also cut aircraft parking and landing fees, to promote airline service to and from the Kingdom.

Earlier, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) received Bt450 million for marketing activities, including a plan to hold the "Amazing Thailand Grand Sale" from June to August.

During this period, shopping malls and other retailers will be invited to participate, with discounts of up to 50 per cent offered for selected goods and services.

TAT chairman Weerasak Kowsurat said there would also be a domestic-tourism campaign entitled "Bustling Thai Tourism, Burgeoning Thai Economy".

Weerasak will meet with private-sector representatives on January 30 to discuss further recovery measures for boosting tourism.

The latest TAT forecasts show international visitors making 15.48 million trips to Thailand this year and generating Bt600 billion in revenue.

Last year's figures are not yet finalised, but in 2007 there were 14.8 million visitors generating Bt531 billion in revenue.

The 'announcement' was jumping the gun a bit. The key part of the Nation article is "Thai Airways International will also consider reducing air fares by up to 50 per cent in a bid to encourage tourists to return to Thailand."

Thai Airways is a semi-state body and the proposed cheaper airfares are part of a wider tourism package. They'll probably wait until they have everybody on board - airlines, tour operators, hotels - before launching a broad tourism push to get people coming back to Thailand.

You'll also notice in the Nation article that "the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) received Bt450 million for marketing activities, including a plan to hold the "Amazing Thailand Grand Sale" from June to August". I know they've done this 'Grand Sale' before, offering discounts in department stores etc, so I'm wondering if they're co-ordinating the Grand Sale 2009 with the cheaper air fares. Whether that means that the cheap fares/packages/hotels roll-out will commence selling in June or whether it means they'll start advertising soon for cheap fares etc., available from June to August remains to be seen.

Edited by Tedhead