Questions About Non-im "ed" Visa

I can easily get a multiple-entry non-immigrant "O" visa with a one-year validity from Hull in the UK on the grounds of "visiting friends", but of course that will require visa runs every 90 days.

However I am thinking of doing a Thai course and my language school offers if I pay for 3 months' tuition up front that they will write me a supporting letter to obtain a non-immigrant "ED" visa (Hull consulate does not need a letter from the ministry, just from the school is sufficient). Apparently if I am in Thailand on an "ED" visa then I will not need to make visa runs, the visa can be renewed in Thailand.

I have some questions:

1. Am I right in thinking a single-entry ED visa can be renewed without leaving Thailand if one is continuing to study Thai full time?

2. Does the language school need to renew an ED visa for me or can I do it myself?

3. Does evidence of on-going study need to be shown each time a ED visa is renewed?

4. If I cease study during a multiple-entry ED visa's one-year validity (e.g. after 3 months), can I still use the ED visa up to the full one-year validity by doing visa runs every 90 days just like a multiple-entry O visa?

Thanks

1. Yes. ask the school for more details.

2. You will need documents from the school for that.

3. Yes, every 90 days.

4. Yes, even up to 15 months by leaving and re-entering just before your visa expires. (The visa wil expire, but your permission to stay will remain valid).

It is an extension of your permit to stay not a renewel of your visa.

All extensions are 1900 baht. The school as part of your enrollment fee should provide the documents required. You then have to go to immigration yourself to get the extension (nobody can do it for you).

A language school would charge around 29,000 a year. You would be required to study on avarage about 4 hours a week.

You will get an extesnion for stay, but would have to report every 90 days at immigration to check if you still study. No longer studdying would mean you have to leave the country. On top of the page are a few language school, you can find more information on their website.

… 3. Does evidence of on-going study need to be shown each time a ED visa is renewed?

Not necessary to study full time if you don’t want to or have the time. The absolute minimum is four hours per week.

--

Maestro

Sorry, wasabi, but you post makes no sense. If you’re taking about the multiple-entry non-ED visa, it is not the schools but the Thai consulates that give the visa. A visa is not renewed, nor does a student who arrives in Thailand have to get a new visa every 90 days. He can get consecutive 90-day extensions of stay.

--

Maestro

I was in Thailand for a year on an education visa studying at thammasat for the year. Came in on 3 month education visa and then after 3 months got a letter from the uni and renewed it for a further year, so in total got 1 year and 3 months. didn't need to renew the visa every 90 days just had to inform them of my address and while i was studying there the whole time there was absolutely no check that i was still studying at the uni as far as i know. maybe they rang up the uni without me knowing but i doubt it. is it legal to stop studying and stay in the country i doubt it but don't think they will check. but maybe just stay on the safe side and do a few hours a day. would be good for you to learn thai anyway.

Yes, nicholasday, that’s how it works. When you study Thai language at a government university you can get an annual extension. It is for study at a private language school that immigration offices currently limit extension to 90 days at a time.

--

Maestro

I can easily get a multiple-entry non-immigrant "O" visa with a one-year validity from Hull in the UK on the grounds of "visiting friends", but of course that will require visa runs every 90 days.

However I am thinking of doing a Thai course and my language school offers if I pay for 3 months' tuition up front that they will write me a supporting letter to obtain a non-immigrant "ED" visa (Hull consulate does not need a letter from the ministry, just from the school is sufficient). Apparently if I am in Thailand on an "ED" visa then I will not need to make visa runs, the visa can be renewed in Thailand.

I have some questions:

1. Am I right in thinking a single-entry ED visa can be renewed without leaving Thailand if one is continuing to study Thai full time?

2. Does the language school need to renew an ED visa for me or can I do it myself?

3. Does evidence of on-going study need to be shown each time a ED visa is renewed?

4. If I cease study during a multiple-entry ED visa's one-year validity (e.g. after 3 months), can I still use the ED visa up to the full one-year validity by doing visa runs every 90 days just like a multiple-entry O visa?

Thanks

Hi! I am delighted to answer your questions as follows:

Answer:You are right. You don't need to do a visa-run. The extension can be done at a Thai immigration in town. Our Schools, Walen School of Thai and Callan Method School of English, have students from more than 64 countries worldwide and we do paperwork for our students to get ED Visa and extension stays up to 1 or more year / Thai or English course.

Answer: Each student can extend their ED Visa @ a Thai Immigration Office by himself. Some of them use agency service like Sunbelt.

Answer: We encourage students to paticipate their classes for their own benefits. But, paticipation has no effect with a student visa.

Answer: We have some students have been using the same Visa for almost 2 years now. They just do extension @ a Thai immigration in town every 90 days with our extension letter.

Hope that my answers will be clear enough.

Best Regards,

Maple

Walen School of Thai

• 6 months later...

I have some questions:

Thanks

Hi! I am delighted to answer your questions as follows:

Answer:You are right. You don't need to do a visa-run. The extension can be done at a Thai immigration in town. Our Schools, Walen School of Thai and Callan Method School of English, have students from more than 64 countries worldwide and we do paperwork for our students to get ED Visa and extension stays up to 1 or more year / Thai or English course.

Answer: Each student can extend their ED Visa @ a Thai Immigration Office by himself. Some of them use agency service like Sunbelt.

Answer: We encourage students to paticipate their classes for their own benefits. But, paticipation has no effect with a student visa.

Answer: We have some students have been using the same Visa for almost 2 years now. They just do extension @ a Thai immigration in town every 90 days with our extension letter.

Hope that my answers will be clear enough.

Best Regards,

Maple

Walen School of Thai

If I need to fly oversea once a month for business trip and miss classes for a week and for the EDvisa can I fly oversea no limit

If I need to fly oversea once a month for business trip and miss classes for a week and for the ED visa can I fly oversea no limit

From info you posted in this topic.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Solution-Sta...56#entry2971756

Since you get 30 days each entry I see no reason for you to get an ED visa/extension. Unless there would be times that you would go over 30 days. Getting 90 day extensions would not be practical in your case because it would cost you 1000 baht per trip out for a re-entry permit.

If you enroll for a one year course of study at a school you might be able to get a multiple entry ED visa in Malaysia since it is your home country. That would be the best option for you.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me what type of institutions qualifies one for an ED visa?

I am attending a yoga course in Koh Phangan were the curriculum runs from January to August. I have the schools business documentation and a letter from them confirming my acceptance to study. Is this sufficient for an ED visa or does the school have to be registered with the ministry of education ? Is there any other documentation I would be required to submit to the Thai Immigration ?

I can only get a single entry visa from the South African consulate, how difficult would it be to get this extended within Thailand ?

Can anyone tell me what type of institutions qualifies one for an ED visa?

I am attending a yoga course in Koh Phangan were the curriculum runs from January to August. I have the schools business documentation and a letter from them confirming my acceptance to study. Is this sufficient for an ED visa or does the school have to be registered with the ministry of education ? Is there any other documentation I would be required to submit to the Thai Immigration ?

I can only get a single entry visa from the South African consulate, how difficult would it be to get this extended within Thailand ?

The school must be licenced by the Ministry of Education... The school makes an application to the Ministry on your behalf and the Ministry issue a letter for you to take to a Thai Consulate requesting that the consulate issue the ED Visa.