Financial Crisis

Yet another voice for MORE STIMULUS SPENDING NOW to avoid a great depression --

First, we must accept that austerity measures, necessary to avoid a fiscal train wreck, have recessionary effects on output. So, if countries in the Eurozone's periphery such as Greece or Portugal are forced to undertake fiscal austerity, countries able to provide short-term stimulus should do so and postpone their own austerity efforts. These countries include the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, the core of the Eurozone, and Japan. Infrastructure banks that finance needed public infrastructure should be created as well.

http://www.slate.com/id/2304110/

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• midas

• Naam

• flying

• 12DrinkMore

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More credit expansion does nothing to avoid Depression....obviously

How much stimulus have they thrown at it thus far?

Jobs creation as a result = ?

Funny how the limited thinkers believe there is only two choices.

Funny how the choices for the government seems so short sighted so limited.

There are glaringly simple places to start yet they refuse.

Awhile back there was a nice link here that allowed regular folks to go & use

the software to input their ideas on how to improve the crisis.Many then saw the glaringly

easy places to start repairs.

"There is no means of avoiding a final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as a result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved."

- Ludwig von Mises

Besides why are you here whining now?

It was you who years ago came in here & proclaimed your boys Little Timmy Geithner & his boss the big O had saved us from the crisis. Is this a new crisis? Or are your boys still saving us?? :lol:

Edited by flying

More credit expansion does nothing to avoid Depression....obviously

How much stimulus have they thrown at it thus far?

Jobs creation as a result = ?

Funny how the limited thinkers believe there is only two choices.

Funny how the choices for the government seems so short sighted so limited.

There are glaringly simple places to start yet they refuse.

Awhile back there was a nice link here that allowed regular folks to go & use

the software to input their ideas on how to improve the crisis.Many then saw the glaringly

easy places to start repairs.

"There is no means of avoiding a final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as a result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved."

- Ludwig von Mises

Besides why are you here whining now?

It was you who years ago came in here & proclaimed your boys Little Timmy Geithner & his boss the big O had saved us from the crisis. Is this a new crisis? Or are your boys still saving us?? :lol:

Little Timmy and the big O are working for the guys upstairs who engineered the crisis in the first placelaugh.gif

Blackout: CNN, Fox, and MSNBC Ignore Thousands Of US Day Of Rage Protesters

Most Americans are being kept in the dark about the US Day of Rage by the corporate cable news giants at CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC who have imposed a de facto blackout on the protest.

My link

Wall Street Protests Continue, With at Least 6 Arrested

The police confirmed that three men and a woman were arrested under provisions that make it illegal for two or more individuals to wear masks.

nytlogo153x23.gifTuesday, September 20, 2011

At lease some coverage now....

<H2></H2>

First, we must accept that austerity measures, necessary to avoid a fiscal train wreck, have recessionary effects on output. So, if countries in the Eurozone's periphery such as Greece or Portugal are forced to undertake fiscal austerity, countries able to provide short-term stimulus should do so and postpone their own austerity efforts. These countries include the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, the core of the Eurozone, and Japan. Infrastructure banks that finance needed public infrastructure should be created as well.

http://www.slate.com/id/2304110/

" Congress has to subpoena the head of the OMB because it failed to exercise proper oversight of the stimulus money in the $787 billion American Recovery and Reinvestment Act."

tut tut tut............And you have the gall to suggest they should get even MORE ! :lol:

Edited by midas

All the dam_n stimulus has ended up with the banks to keep them afloat.

One result of the ZIRP bullshit is that the banks prefer to buy 'safe' UST's returning a couple of percent with a guaranteed return of capital than lend to businesses with more hassle, risk and not much more interest. And another is the propping up of asset prices so people feel better, although in the long run can it continue?

Jobs should be the main issue by a long way. But the wealthy guys who make the decisions just don't geddit.

To move on,

I wondered whether I should start a new topic about peak oil, possibly the next major issue to hit us all in the next decade. But as it's a bit of a slow mover and hasn't really affected anybody yet, I'll bung this in here,

from ze jeremans, who have a time horizon somewhere between the Americans (1 millisecond) and the Chinese (1 millennium)

"PEAK OIL -Security policy implications of scarce resources'

http://www.energybul..._Study%20EN.pdf

Edited by 12DrinkMore

To me, there are some solutions to peak oil that aren't being pursued yet. The price of natural gas has gone down 16.5% in the last year with more and more discoveries using fracking (even new oil is being developed/pumped in Texas and elsewhere using fracking) and that can be used in power plants and the trucking industry to replace oil. I just hope they don't pollute the aquifers with the fracking.

Then there is untapped wind energy for example in the Central US that could supply the whole country with electricity. These sources currently are ignored by our Congress and big business, but how low can the price of nat gas go before they start using it for those purposes. If I lived in an area of the central US or elsewhere that had sufficient wind I would invest in a home windmill electric generator.

Too bad they can't spend some of the stimulus money on projects like windmill electric generators that will actually reduce costs for everyone and help pull us out of the financial crisis.

Hang on to your hats folks as theres a storm brewing

The article claimed that Lloyds of London is taking their cash out of the European banks this morning:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-09-21/lloyd-s-of-london-pulls-deposits-from-banks-on-debt-crisis.html

IN COMING :hit-the-fan:

more specific and less sensational:

Lloyd’s of London, has pulled deposits in some peripheral economies...

Hang on to your hats folks as theres a storm brewing

The article claimed that Lloyds of London is taking their cash out of the European banks this morning:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-09-21/lloyd-s-of-london-pulls-deposits-from-banks-on-debt-crisis.html

IN COMING :hit-the-fan:

more specific and less sensational:

Lloyd’s of London, has pulled deposits in some peripheral economies...

the operative word here is "claimed"

well if that dont work what about carbon credits. At Capital Carbon Credits, we offer the opportunity to generate possible returns from an outstanding investment in rainforest land.

Edited by BlackJack

well if that dont work what about carbon credits. At Capital Carbon Credits, we offer the opportunity to generate possible returns from an outstanding investment in rainforest land.

i am offering my 51% share in the Bridge over the River Kwai, excellent returns guaranteed :lol:

i am offering my 51% share in the Bridge over the River Kwai, excellent returns guaranteed :lol:

personally I regard carbon credits as being in a similar investment category as nonvisible artwork :rolleyes:

I think I would even go as far as to say I would have more faith in Naam's carpets than carbon credits-

at least you can see the carpets

Edited by midas

But how does the investment-chicken reach the other side of the river, and bridge-that-gap, 49% is a long way for a relatively-flightless bird? Or am I being a dumb cluck, and missing something, perhaps it takes the train instead ? :rolleyes:

Perhaps, as it stand on-the-brink, it thinks better of trying the jump the rest of the way, and is too chicken to try ? :lol:

Edited by Ricardo

That chart is like a farang listing a list of thai women whom he lent money to... good luck collecting in real terms.

Sure, the US gov will print up another 15T no problem and if you want oil you better keep buying our bonds. That is the name of the game. Why else do u think we have built military bases in everyone's backyards?

Most Americans are being kept in the dark about the US Day of Rage by the corporate cable news giants at CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC who have imposed a de facto blackout on the protest.

My link

The police confirmed that three men and a woman were arrested under provisions that make it illegal for two or more individuals to wear masks.

<H2></H2>

Looks like the protest is getting more coverage now............

Peaceful women maced during NYC protest

A scene captured at New York's "Occupy Wall Street" protests shows police rounding up a quiet group of female protestors before pepper spraying them without any provocation.

Whats the odds that a coup will occur in the US before it happens in Thailand? My link

Edited by waza

My link

<H2></H2>

Looks like the protest is getting more coverage now............

Peaceful women maced during NYC protest

A scene captured at New York's "Occupy Wall Street" protests shows police rounding up a quiet group of female protestors before pepper spraying them without any provocation.

Whats the odds that a coup will occur in the US before it happens in Thailand? My link

interesting how this is Channel 9 Australia which is not connected to Rupert Murdoch.

has any of this been covered in USA media outlets?

Well this is stupid behaviour on behalf of the police because it's going to make things worse

as well as the fact now that it is being shown internationally.

Edited by midas

I have been following the wall street protests more since you 1st mentioned it last week.

They have their own site too.

https://occupywallst.org/

I am speechless :blink: there are guys inside those buildings that have committed

fraud against the people of America and they are allowed to go on untouched.

And yet a group of peaceful demonstrators outside are treated like animals :bah:

Edited by midas

I have been following the wall street protests more since you 1st mentioned it last week.

They have their own site too.

https://occupywallst.org/

Yes its interesting to note that their website goes to great lengths to point out what behaviour is legal and what isnt to promote a legal, non- aggressive protest.

Edited by waza

Naam it looks like we will have to revert to our old expression

" those who cannot be named " :unsure:

Here Comes FIATtackWatch: Ben "Big Brother" Bernanke Goes Watergate, Prepares To Eavesdrop On Everything Mentioning The Fed

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/here-comes-fiattackwatch-bernanke-goes-watergate-prepares-eavesdrop-everything-mentioning-fed

Edited by midas

Naam it looks like we will have to revert to our old expression

" those who cannot be named " :unsure:

why "revert" Midas? those who cannot be named have been, are and will also be trying in future to kick our balls 24/7 :bah:

if we are lucky we might be able to manage being a step ahead to avoid those kicks. not always, but hopefully more often then not.

Banks Increase Holdings in Derivatives

By BEN PROTESS

Even as federal regulators ratchet up scrutiny of the derivatives market, Wall Street is diving deeper into the $600 trillion industry, a new government report found.

The banking industry in the second quarter raised its stake in derivatives more than 11 percent from the same period a year earlier, according to the report by the Comptroller of the Currency, the federal agency that regulates national banks. Banks now hold nearly $250 trillion of the contracts, primarily futures and swaps, which derive their value from an underlying asset like an interest rate or a bundle of mortgages.

The nation’s four biggest banks — JPMorgan Chase, Citigroup, Bank of America and Goldman Sachs — are the biggest players, holding roughly 95 percent of the industry’s total exposure to derivatives. JPMorgan, which holds the most among commercial banks, carries some $78 trillion worth of derivatives on its books, according to the report. Citi is next on the list, with $56 trillion, up from $54 trillion in the first quarter.

"Derivatives activity in the U.S. banking system continues to be dominated by a small group of large financial institutions," the report noted. While the number of banks holding derivatives increased modestly to 1,070, 99 percent are held by only 25 banks.The derivatives industry — which allows banks, hedge funds and corporations to both hedge risk and speculate on market fluctuations – was at the center of the financial crisis. The American International Group became a symbol of the industry’s pitfalls, having sold billions of dollars incredit default swaps as insurance on risky mortgage-backed securities. When the mortgage market crumbled during the crisis, the insurance giant lacked the capital to honor their agreements.

Credit default swaps make up 97 percent of total credit derivatives at banks, though they are a small piece of the overall derivatives pie. Commercial banks primarily use interest rate products, which comprise 82 percent of the total value of derivatives.

The Dodd-Frank financial regulatory law overhauled the industry, forcing many derivatives contracts onto regulated exchanges. Many deals must also go through clearinghouses, which act as a backstop in case one party defaults. Regulators are writing more than 50 new derivatives rules, moving the once murky market onto Washington’s radar screen.

JPMorgan, which holds the most among commercial banks, carries some $78 trillion worth of derivatives on its books, according to the report. Citi is next on the list, with $56 trillion, up from $54 trillion in the first quarter.

peanuts :lol:

JPMorgan, which holds the most among commercial banks, carries some $78 trillion worth of derivatives on its books, according to the report. Citi is next on the list, with $56 trillion, up from $54 trillion in the first quarter.

Hard to even fathom for me :)

I guess we normal folks are doing it all wrong.

The banks carry these kinds of numbers & are not bothered.

Yet we little folks always trying so hard to live within our means.

you can't keep saying " peanuts "to everything :rolleyes: they all add up you know?

post-6925-0-52850100-1317096124_thumb.jp