Harley Davidson Expertise Please

Sao Jiang Mai

Well that is interesting about the breahtliser. I will look into that. My father had 2 singhas (large) at lunch. Took a two hour nap, came to my office and the incident happened around 4.30...Its a small town, so I don't want to screw over any one if we are partially culpable, they are OK with time payment which is more reasonable, I just was wondering whether it is the norm to assemble Harleys with totally original parts or is it that sometimes some parts are original, others not...My problem is the bike was removed from incident and police station with out any checking. Dodgy. We have agreed to pay halvers for the poor car that was crashed. Thanks for all this by the way, my father is very shaken - rather old - and I would rather avoid court.

:o It's my new glasses...

Edited by Greenside

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, now he claims that it is going to cost 225,000 baht to fix. Sadly we were in between insurances.

I just don't want to end up paying a put-together bike to upgrade to real Harley parts (he claims just the shield on teh front is 120,000).

I've got to say I think this guy is full of s**t. Check out the authorized HD dealership in BKK:

http://www.powerstationmotorsport.com/product.html

Look under Parts & Accessories/ Genuine Motor Accessories/ Windshields, then look at a few of the options.

None of the windshields listed are over $400 USD (less than baht 14000). I can't imagine that the price of shipping to CM would increase the price by baht 106,000! There's always the chance his parts are custom and they might be higher, but no way is a windshield going to cost baht 120,000 (around $3,400 USD) even with import tax and shipping. Anyway, 120,000 of 225,000 baht is 53% of the damages. What does the other 47% consist of? Must not have been that much damage done!

This is my recommendation: Find out the year and model of the bike. Get a list of the parts (make sure to find out whether they're custom or not). Contact the shop in BKK directly and do your own price comparison. Only offer to pay half of whatever you think is fair.

If all else fails and he holds firm to the baht 225,000 price hunt down a lawyer in CM. It might even be better to start there.

I think this guy is trying to tack on an extra zero to the repair price. Don't give into it!

Your talking about something you know nothing about. The Power Station website hooks up with HD in US so the prices are for buying in US. Now add shipping and lots of taxes. Most HD windshields here are around 30-35000 baht.

[

To the question of the estimated cost for the Harley parts.

Yup, those overweight, slow, bad handling pieces of chrome-laden pig iron, built with largely 100 year old technology,

McGriffin

Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about, its obvious know nothing about Harley Davidson

Edited by FarangCravings

Well that is interesting about the breahtliser. I will look into that. My father had 2 singhas (large) at lunch. Took a two hour nap, came to my office and the incident happened around 4.30...Its a small town, so I don't want to screw over any one if we are partially culpable, they are OK with time payment which is more reasonable, I just was wondering whether it is the norm to assemble Harleys with totally original parts or is it that sometimes some parts are original, others not...My problem is the bike was removed from incident and police station with out any checking. Dodgy. We have agreed to pay halvers for the poor car that was crashed. Thanks for all this by the way, my father is very shaken - rather old - and I would rather avoid court.

:D It's my new glasses...

LOL :D ! Thanks for that, I missed the second post :o . Well two large singa's could do it.

Pim,

If my reading of your OP is correct there was no physical contact between this Harley and whatever your Dad was driving, I would say that they have not got a case (not a leg to stand on)

In addition, they (the owner or rider of the Harley) are on an unregistered, uninsured bike, therefore I would suggest that your lawyer tell them to take a hike on whatever their "new bike" might be.

Edited by john b good

Richie Wilson of Richco Motorsports is a stand up guy, knows his stuff, is a Rep for Thai Siri Insurance, and does insurance claims every week.

Harley parts are expensive, as are aftermarket custom parts. Labour here is cheap and quality work can be had if you know where to go. For example I saw a VERY expensive tank repair at Richco yesterday that is so perfect you would never know it had been damaged.

Stop speculating on what the real cost is. Since you are considering paying (an other entire issue) go see Richie on Whulai Rd., deal with him directly, and review the damage and cost to repair. Richie will advise you on what can be fixed, what local work can be done, what is genuine HD, and what is aftermarket. You are the self insured Customer and I do not see why the bike Owner would have a problem with this.

Thanks for all your feedback, it has been very kind of you, I didn't want to cause any trouble and don't understand why the Canvas guy seemed to be so angry at me. Very odd this forum rage isn't? At no point was I dissing Ricchi, as a matter of fact I said I heard good things about him, I am just trying to look at my options. Thank you all for your feedback. I have no intention of screwing anyone over, but I don't want to be screwed over either and you have all given me tons of food for thought which I will discuss with my laywer today. Lovely of you all, thank you. Pim

I own a customized Harley and concur with Hog Heads comments.

If the bike has after market accessories eg. from Arlen Ness or PM then the parts are very expensive. If the forks are damaged then that's a major expense.

Richie is a decent honest guy. Go and see him an go through the estimate line by line.

You may not like the cost but at least it will put your mind at ease.

Cheers....

Edited by Thaihog

You can trust Richie completely about a quote. If you need to talk to him, his shop is on Wualai Road, just behind that statue of the white cow (bull?).

Harley parts are expensive. An oil change with Harley oil can set you back a few thousand baht, so imagine the cost for parts! There was a Harley jacket that I saw here and loved, but it was 22000 baht. In North America they're less than 200 dollars. Import duties are brutal!

Agree with Hog Head and Thai Hog - Richie is as straight as they come and really knows his stuff. He is the only guy I'd trust to rebuild my bike in CM.

Unfortunately with a Harley, most aftermarket parts are more expensive than the original, and no Owner will cut corners in rebuilding his bike, so it's going to cost what it's going to cost unfortunately. There are no shortcuts.

I own Harleys, and while I have been tempted to buy an unregistered bike at a lower cost, this is exactly why I wouldn't. People who buy unregistered bikes know the risk they are taking, both if they hurt someone, crash the bike or get caught by the BIB far from home. In my opinion the cost does not outweigh the benefit. The Owner knows this and he is just trying it on.

A lot of well connected guys in CM have Harleys...maybe you have run into one (pardon the pun).

Thanks for all your feedback, it has been very kind of you, I didn't want to cause any trouble and don't understand why the Canvas guy seemed to be so angry at me. Very odd this forum rage isn't? At no point was I dissing Ricchi, as a matter of fact I said I heard good things about him, I am just trying to look at my options. Thank you all for your feedback. I have no intention of screwing anyone over, but I don't want to be screwed over either and you have all given me tons of food for thought which I will discuss with my laywer today. Lovely of you all, thank you. Pim

I still maintain that if there was no physical contact between the vehicle your father was driving and the Harley your father is in the clear 100%

The fact that the guy on the bike was going too fast to undertake a safe evasive manoeuvre was the root cause of the accident.

I still maintain that if there was no physical contact between the vehicle your father was driving and the Harley your father is in the clear 100%

The fact that the guy on the bike was going too fast to undertake a safe evasive manoeuvre was the root cause of the accident.

JBG,

I don't think you are going to get an arguement out of anyone here about the cause of the accident. Theres only one word to point out to you though & it goes like this: THAILAND!

Anyway, the Harley somehow managed to get their bike from the police station before documentation and it turns out that it is illegal - no licence etc. So I was wondering whether such a bike would be original. it looked very old and didn't look like it was that posh. But I don't know. Would such bikes have only original parts?

Anywy, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will be fair and resonable, but don't want to be taken for...ahem...a ride. Thanks.

My opinion.

If the bike was not registered your family owes this guy not a nickle.

He didn't hit your father & your father didn't hit him.

Get a lawyer & fight it. DON'T PAY!!!!! Don"t admit anything.

Really? Then I don't understand as the police said that it was very little, just a unit or two over the limit. I must recheck. Thanks.

Hmmm not sure where you are originally from but legally drunk is legally drunk not matter how little over the limit it shows on the breatherlizer, you should be thankful that your dad is not locked up in Jail as he would definately be in any western country.

I guess only falang get breathilized. I have never seen it & even after fatal accidents - I seriously doubt that injured persons; taken to hospital; the cops insist on a blood alcohol test.

My father was recently involved in an accident on Nimmanhaemin Road. He was coming out of Sukasem Soi onto Nim road and because there are always cars parked on the corner, he had to slowly creep up onto the main road to see. A very speedy Harley came down and got panicked, swerved and hit another car. My father was not hit and he wasn't that far out into the road, we think that the Harley was going WAY too fast and judging from the skids, had he continued straight he wouldn;t have hit my father at all, but he panicked. Anyway, now he claims that it is going to cost 225,000 baht to fix. Sadly we were in between insurances. The police said that we could be found co-culpable as my father had had two beers at lunch and was 50.2 on the breatheliser (legal up to 50.0).

Anyway, the Harley somehow managed to get their bike from the police station before documentation and it turns out that it is illegal - no licence etc. So I was wondering whether such a bike would be original. it looked very old and didn't look like it was that posh. But I don't know. Would such bikes have only original parts? I just don't want to end up paying a put-together bike to upgrade to real Harley parts (he claims just the shield on teh front is 120,000). Just our luck with the one million Honda Dreams in CM!

Anywy, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will be fair and resonable, but don't want to be taken for...ahem...a ride. Thanks.

Contact this website they may be able to help, they are in your home town, they have legal advice and parts prices and motorbike shops etc. http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/

Hope they can help you. :o

Anyway, the Harley somehow managed to get their bike from the police station before documentation and it turns out that it is illegal - no licence etc. So I was wondering whether such a bike would be original. it looked very old and didn't look like it was that posh. But I don't know. Would such bikes have only original parts?

My opinion.

If the bike was not registered your family owes this guy not a nickle.

He didn't hit your father & your father didn't hit him.

Get a lawyer & fight it. DON'T PAY!!!!! Don"t admit anything.

Yep, if he can't control his bike then he shouldn't be on it. It was unlicensed so he shouldn't have been anywhere near the road. Whatever caused him to come off is immaterial. Tell him to eff off and stick to scooters :o

JBG,

I don't think you are going to get an arguement out of anyone here about the cause of the accident. Theres only one word to point out to you though & it goes like this: THAILAND!

Yes, good point. I guess that I have these "alzheimer's moments" from time to time.

I will have to pinch myself more often :o

BUT! Pim, please don't pay up without a heck of a fight.

Edited by john b good

[

Yup, those overweight, slow, bad handling pieces of chrome-laden pig iron, built with largely 100 year old technology,

McGriffin

Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about, its obvious know nothing about Harley Davidson

they had TWIN CAM,ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION,SELF DIEGNOSTIC MOTORS 100 YEARS AGO.(IT'S BETTER BE THOUGHT A FOOL,THEN OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ANY DOUBT.

McGriffin

they had TWIN CAM,ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION,SELF DIEGNOSTIC MOTORS 100 YEARS AGO.(IT'S BETTER BE THOUGHT A FOOL,THEN OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ANY DOUBT.

Well done.

That's clearly nonsense.

sorry old chap not one ounce of nonsense,but i forgot to mention the 3 usb ports for use with "harley davidson scanlizer software"which gives up all the latest settings and upgrades for the on board p.c combine all this with the new 6 speed 1598cc v twin motor and attenition to detail does not suggest nonsense.HARLEY have greatly advanced their product in the last 9 years.MADE IN USA.THE PEOPLE WHO PUT A MAN ON THE MOON. LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

That's clearly nonsense.

sorry old chap not one ounce of nonsense,but i forgot to mention the 3 usb ports for use with "harley davidson scanlizer software"which gives up all the latest settings and upgrades for the on board p.c combine all this with the new 6 speed 1598cc v twin motor and attenition to detail does not suggest nonsense.HARLEY have greatly advanced their product in the last 9 years.MADE IN USA.THE PEOPLE WHO PUT A MAN ON THE MOON. LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

You'll probably find many of the parts are made overseas but put together in yankland... the Japanese will have a hand in it somewhere for the quality :o

Men on the moon! After nicking all of Germany's best engineers and professors, along with Hinton's knowhow, to make the bomb, it doesn't take Einstein to work out that those brains also went to getting a man on the moon... or at least to make it look like someone actually walked around up there.

That's clearly nonsense.

You'll probably find many of the parts are made overseas but put together in yankland... the Japanese will have a hand in it somewhere for the quality :o

Men on the moon! After nicking all of Germany's best engineers and professors, along with Hinton's knowhow, to make the bomb, it doesn't take Einstein to work out that those brains also went to getting a man on the moon... or at least to make it look like someone actually walked around up there.

i wanted to rebuff the comment about 100 year old technogly.your comment about japan is 100% correct,about 7-8 years ago the yanks got the hump over motor trade with japan as it was all one way,so G.W threatened to up the import tax on all jap motors.at the time japan had a 175%duty on hd because of their emmissions.japan agreed to lower duty to same as us duty on jap bike if hd would comply with japans emmissions.result hd now produce 2 versions of each model.if frame # starts with 5hd is for export,us model starts with hd.this is important when ordering aftermarket parts this would support your view on oversea's input.all hd are assembled in us and all 5hd are exported worldwide.i'll give you the moon if you give me LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

That's clearly nonsense.

Not really anything to do with the OP's problem (but then most contributions to this thread have had nothing to do with the opening thread)

"man on the moon" and all that <deleted>. It was a NZ'er who was at the helm of NASA when they first set foot on the moon.

• That's clearly nonsense.
    Not really anything to do with the OP's problem (but then most contributions to this thread have had nothing to do with the opening thread)
    "man on the moon" and all that <deleted>. It was a NZ'er who was at the helm of NASA when they first set foot on the moon.

Edited by dynabob

I'm afraid to say that the bill you have receieved is why I would have driven off!

a very close friend of mine was left to die on the road by a scumbag like you.hit and run drivers are low life cowards.surely this animal is breaking the law for supporting such a evil act .

ask the owner of the harley for a itemised quote with part numbers contact motorcycle world phuket and ask them to price parts .they buy from harley in malaysia and prices are very reasonable and you can compare like for like.make sure you get part numbers.good luck. loud pipes save lives

Although this has nothing to do with the original post I thought it might amuse some readers. I don't ride a Harley Davidson, never have and never will. I presently have an old Kawasaki ZZR1100............

On the farm lived a chicken and a horse, both of whom loved to play together. One day the two were playing, when the horse fell into a bog and began to sink. Scared for his life, the horse whinnied for the chicken to go get the farmer for help!

Off the chicken ran, back to the farm.

Arriving at the farm, he searched and searched for the farmer, but to no avail, for he had gone to town with the only tractor. Running around, the chicken spied the farmer's new Harley. Finding the keys in the ignition, the chicken sped off with a length of rope hoping he still had time to save his friend's life.

Back at the bog, the horse was surprised, but happy, to see the chicken arrive on the shiny Harley, and he managed to get a hold of the loop of rope the chicken tossed to him. After tying the other end to the rear bumper of the farmer's bike, the chicken then drove slowly forward and with the aid of the powerful bike, rescued the horse.

Happy and proud, the chicken rode the Harley back to the farmhouse and the farmer was none the wiser when he returned.

The friendship between the two animals was cemented: Best Buddies, Best Pals.

A few weeks later, the chicken fell into a mud pit, and soon, he too, began to sink and cried out to the horse to save his life!

The horse thought a moment, walked over, and straddled the large puddle. Looking underneath, he told the chicken to grab his hangy-down thing and he would then lift him out of the pit.

The chicken got a good grip, and the horse pulled him up and out, saving his life.

The moral of the story?

When You're Hung Like A Horse, You Don't Need A Harley To Pick Up Chicks !!