Cat Hit By Car

A few weeks ago our cat was hit by a car.We took her to the vets who said she had just hurt her leg and would be OK,nothing serious.

But she started peeing on the floor instead of the litter as if she couldnt help herself.Also she didnt defacate for nearly a week.

We took her back to the vets and she was x-rayed.She had considerable damage to her abdomen and bowel internally.

She had an operation and stayed at the vets for 10 days.He said we would just have to see how she got on.

She's been back for a week now but cannot control her bladder and also her bowel movements and she stinks.

The vet says putting her to sleep isnt an option and my wife says if we took her to the temple it would bring bad luck to the family !

Its early days yet so I'm prepared to give her time to see if she recovers but its a very tricky problem.

Anyone got any advice/thoughts on this ??

I'm very sorry for your cat. She must be in considerable stress.

I don't have any suggestions other than to pm Mangotogo, who is a vet, and to change vet. I find it rather strange and unprofessional that your vet didn't make an X-ray the first time you brought your cat in. Not having control over her blader and bowel isn't very good.

Nienke

Edited by Nienke

There's a lovely older Thai couple who run a hardware shop on Chotana opposite Novtel. I was really amazed at how well they care for their many cats. One in particular had been hit by a car and suffers the same problem as your pet. The lady and staff all chip in to care for this sweetheart which has to drag its rear body to get anywhere. The cat wears tiny baby pampers. It's cute but heartbreaking at the same time. For the staff and the cat, life goes on.

There are actually cart-like devices made for cats and dogs that substitutes wheels for their hind legs. Ive seen this at the Animal Hospital on Ramkamheng (the one under Royal Patronage) and the animals seem to do quite well and be happy and active. 'Worth lookimng into, certainly better than the poor thing dragging itself about.

Our cat can move about quite freely and seems happy enough.

Its the fact that certainly,at the moment,she cannot control her bodily functions that is the problem.

We were told that this could get better in a few months,so we'll have to see.

Funnily enough,her wearing tiny pampers was one of the things we've been considering !

Bring her to a really good animal hospital for thorough evaluation

Mahidol and Kasetkart Universities boith good choices if you're in Bkk

I tried Mahidol in Salaya and it was no good or help.

They are way under staffed and over capacity.

They also don't have facilities for your pet to stay overnight because they close in the evening and no one to care for them. Even after an operation you have to take your pet home. Its more like a theater where students can watch, learn and practice to become a vet.

A few weeks ago our cat was hit by a car.We took her to the vets who said she had just hurt her leg and would be OK,nothing serious.

But she started peeing on the floor instead of the litter as if she couldnt help herself.Also she didnt defacate for nearly a week.

We took her back to the vets and she was x-rayed.She had considerable damage to her abdomen and bowel internally.

She had an operation and stayed at the vets for 10 days.He said we would just have to see how she got on.

She's been back for a week now but cannot control her bladder and also her bowel movements and she stinks.

The vet says putting her to sleep isnt an option and my wife says if we took her to the temple it would bring bad luck to the family !

Its early days yet so I'm prepared to give her time to see if she recovers but its a very tricky problem.

Anyone got any advice/thoughts on this ??

Hi there

I am sorry for the cat, but well in this case i have been through once, and i can tell you. the good thing to do is putting her to sleep coz it won be better for the cat.

The problem of adomen when it does not work well, later she will be suffer all the rest of her time.

I hope you are considering about this. I wish you luck.

Good advice aabout the proper evaluation Sheryl in my experience there are some poor vets here. My cat died a slow agonizing death because the vet near the Suthep Rd side Wing 41 entrance in CM didn't notice it's bladder was solid as it could not pee due to a urethral infection.

Don't be too timid about the euthanasia option if continuing distress looks likely. I recently partially paid for an major op on a crash victim I never met, and the vet reduced her fee considerably. But if I think the longterm outcome doesn't look good I'd have no compunction in suggesting he be put to sleep.

There are actually cart-like devices made for cats and dogs that substitutes wheels for their hind legs.

Ah!!

I'm currently trying to build one of these for another young dog with only one (useless) rear leg who has to drag herself around (though seems to enjoy it). Also incontinent....but very very happy and loveable!

If anyone can point me to a source for the sort of tubing, adjustable fittings, nylon strapping and clips needed in CM or even BKK I'd be grateful. As seen on this page:

http://handicappedpets.biz/www/dog-wheelchair-carts.html

thanx v much

John

Good advice aabout the proper evaluation Sheryl in my experience there are some poor vets here. My cat died a slow agonizing death because the vet near the Suthep Rd side Wing 41 entrance in CM didn't notice it's bladder was solid as it could not pee due to a urethral infection.

Don't be too timid about the euthanasia option if continuing distress looks likely. I recently partially paid for an major op on a crash victim I never met, and the vet reduced her fee considerably. But if I think the longterm outcome doesn't look good I'd have no compunction in suggesting he be put to sleep.

There are actually cart-like devices made for cats and dogs that substitutes wheels for their hind legs.

Ah!!

I'm currently trying to build one of these for another young dog with only one (useless) rear leg who has to drag herself around (though seems to enjoy it). Also incontinent....but very very happy and loveable!

If anyone can point me to a source for the sort of tubing, adjustable fittings, nylon strapping and clips needed in CM or even BKK I'd be grateful. As seen on this page:

http://handicappedpets.biz/www/dog-wheelchair-carts.html

thanx v much

John

Several years ago when I arrived in Chiang Mai, I was in need of a full length back brace. There is a department at Chiang Mai Ram hospital that custom makes these orthotic devices. Though the scantlings are likely lighter than you'd wish for, you might contact them to see where they sources their webbing straps, fasteners, light but strong aluminum tubing, etc. Good luck.

FYI, I used a similar device for a Basset Hound I had who lost the use of both its hind legs. It greatly improved the quality of his life for his remaining two years.

Our cat can move about quite freely and seems happy enough.

Its the fact that certainly,at the moment,she cannot control her bodily functions that is the problem.

We were told that this could get better in a few months,so we'll have to see.

Funnily enough,her wearing tiny pampers was one of the things we've been considering !

They do make them (replete withy little holes for the tail to stick out), for tiny dogs. Whether or not you can get a cat to keep them on is another matter....

I'm still concerned that there is no clear explanation of why the incontinence, i.e. what was damaged. Obviously not the spinal cord as she is able to walk normally. I still say bring her somewhere you can get a proper evaluation and explanation of what is causing the inconctinence.

If a physical explanation cannopt be found, it could be stress. Cats do sometimes react this way after a stressful event, which both the accident and ensuing vet treatment must have been. IF that is the cause then the remedy is time and plenty of TLC.