Don Mueang Airport Will Reloacate To Suvarnabhumi On March 29, 2009

george

Suvarnabhumi Airport ready to receive relocated Don Mueang Airport flights: AoT

SAMUT PRAKAN: -- Suvarnabhumi Airport is ready to take back domestic flights from Don Mueang Airport, according to Airports of Thailand (AoT) acting president Serirat Prasutanont.

Mr. Serirat, who is also director of Suvarnabhumi airport, said that the flight relocations will begin March 29 as the national flag carrier, Thai Airways (THAI) has announced it will move all domestic flights now operating from Don Mueang Airport back to Suvarnabhumi Airport on that day.

Many airlines have agreed to move their services back to Suvarnabhumi, but some still oppose such a decision by the government, he said.

"The AoT will try to persuade and explain them the advantages of the relocation. Suvarnabhumi Airport is not as congested as they think. We can still support more flights," according to the acting AoT president.

In the future, Don Mueang Airport will serve only chartered flights and will become an aviation maintenance centre, Mr. Sererat said.

Mr. Serirat added that, during the Chinese New Year festival, all flights had fully resumed services at Suvarnabhumi and that the airport now welcomed about 100,000 passengers daily, a figure not much different from what it was before the airport seizure in late November, he said, serving 90,000-110,000 passengers daily.

The AoT chief said that an additional 165 flights from 21 local and international airlines have been operating during the Chinese holiday period (January 24-February 5), with about a 7,000 passenger-increase daily.

Mr. Serirat, however, admitted that the global economic slowdown has severely affected the chartered flight business, with the number of flights landing during Chinese New Year festival dropping by 50 per cent.

He hoped that the situation would gradually recover in the near future.

-- TNA 2009-01-26

Related links (Bookmark these!):

Thaivisa Travel (Cheap Flights to and from Thailand): http://travel.thaivisa.com

BKK On-Line arrival flights info: http://www.thaivisa.com/bkk-arrivals.html

BKK On-Line departure flights info: http://www.thaivisa.com/bkk-departures.html

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a very sensible strategy, IMHO. Most big cities have 2 or 3 airports serving them. Why would Bangkok – if it believes that it can become the major regional hub – want to get by with just one? Changi serves Singapore very well, but Singapore is a small place, relatively speaking. So the plan is to spend 100 billion Baht on Swampy phase 2 instead of maybe a few billion Baht upgrading Don Mueang. Of course, the percentage of that 100 billion Baht (or whatever the number is) that will end up in corrupt politicians’ and administrators’ pockets (compared with virtually zero baksheesh from keeping Don Mueang going) will definitely not have swayed this decision. :o

The people runnng the aviation show here are probably the biggest bunch of idiots in the history of aviation! Why can't they have two airports like other big cities? But his is what probably comes from rote learning, repetition without the ability to think :o

Too bad. I really loved the Don Mueang airport, will this relocation means the the property around the Don Mueng area is going down?

yes, property prices to drop for sure since the area is going to be too quiet for the trained, half-deaf THAI ear. Not even some 40k watts karaoke systems can substitute the friendly jet noise

The people runnng the aviation show here are probably the biggest bunch of idiots in the history of aviation! Why can't they have two airports like other big cities? But his is what probably comes from rote learning, repetition without the ability to think :o

What on earth is the advantage with two airports? It's a waste of time for the passengers and time and money for the airlines.

Have you ever had the "privilege" of arriving with an international flight at Suvarnabhumi to be transferred to Don Muang for your inland flight to Chiang Mai or wherever? Not only does it take extra time, but you have to calculate more than you need in case of traffic jams etc.

Too bad. I really loved the Don Mueang airport, will this relocation means the the property around the Don Mueng area is going down?

Would make a super bus terminus,no shortage of parking and completion of the rail link would be the icing on the cake. Then again it probaby will be another shopping centre which Bangkok really needs.

A stupid question if i may!

But does this mean that most people will loose their jobs? so say 500-1000 people will be out of work? or will they give them new jobs?

Is this being done because of the drop in tourism and just like most other company's worldwide AOT is restructuring to save money?

If it is due to drop in profits then may be the government can use the $100 billion that they have in reserves to keep people employed rather then use the money to keep the baht strong.

Maybe so but the runway at DM is tragic if you have ever been up front! The building is rampant with vermin and structural problems (like Swampy). But Swampy has reverted to the old block the exit - and no public member has vision of the gigantic flight boards - levels are now blocked to free movement and like the Old DM airport, you have to go outside to travel between gates. Why bother - stay home and tell the tourist and business people AOT is still hemorrhaging stupidity. Unbelievable - but the move will only frustrate travellers so divided as to a nay or yea.

Great move BUT why not wait until the infrastructure is complete. ie. Sky rail, Hotels, Motorways, AANNDD --- Effen Security! With BALLS, no more of the "Everyone was having a good time, good food and good music" as one senior cabinet minister put it.

Lets not have the same bullshlt we went through 2 months ago.

Edited by bdenner

Lets get all the flights back to Swampy and then the red shirts can have a go this time :o

From what I've heard, the next time the red shirts have a go, the Thai government will take a page from the movie "Blazing Sadles" and bring cardboard airplanes and people to populate D.M. airport and let the red shirts have a go there.

What on earth is the advantage with two airports? It's a waste of time for the passengers and time and money for the airlines.

Have you ever had the "privilege" of arriving with an international flight at Suvarnabhumi to be transferred to Don Muang for your inland flight to Chiang Mai or wherever? Not only does it take extra time, but you have to calculate more than you need in case of traffic jams etc.

Totally agree arrive at swampy connect to donmuang to travel country rediculous

...to say nothing of the increased air safety aspects of having neighbouring glide paths.

That is part of the stupdity in the first place that they never developed a link between the two airports when there is a railway station right by Don Muang. As I said one of the biggest bunch of idiots in aviation planning history.

Unlike say, arriving at Tokyo-Narita from abroad and having to transfer to Haneda for a domestic flight?

Indeed too bad, but it makes you think what the military junta made tick to reopen it. Just plain greed I suppose.

Unlike say, arriving at Tokyo-Narita from abroad and having to transfer to Haneda for a domestic flight?

Oh, so if the Japanese have that arrangement it must be a good one? One of the reasons some other countries have multiple airports in one city is because of geographical or political restrictions on expanding one of the airports to encompass all services. Suvvanaphum faces no such restriction that I am aware of. From a traveler's point of view it is much better to have things all under one roof. I don't care what the country is, if I have to gather up my luggage upon arrival at the country's main international terminal and then make my own arrangements to schlep across town to make a domestic connection I call that ridiculous. Don Muang is finished, has been for some time, so it is time to get over it and move on.

Some of us love D.M. because we can take the bus from up country, get out at the airport and conveniently get on our flight. D.M. is easier and friendlier...I haven't yet flown domestically out of Suwanabhum and probably won't, even if everything is relocated. I also use Don Mueng when I come into Bangkok on business, stay overnight, jump into a van to Future Park, get off at the airport all for 25B for a wuick trip. In the end you have to walk over the bridge which is just part of the adventure.

Some of us love D.M. because we can take the bus from up country, get out at the airport and conveniently get on our flight. D.M. is easier and friendlier...I haven't yet flown domestically out of Suwanabhum and probably won't, even if everything is relocated. I also use Don Mueng when I come into Bangkok on business, stay overnight, jump into a van to Future Park, get off at the airport all for 25B for a wuick trip. In the end you have to walk over the bridge which is just part of the adventure.

Swampy does have a proper bus terminal with free shuttles from the main terminal (express shuttle from departure and arrival floors), with buses to all over Bangkok, including Ekamai and Mo Chit. There's also an excellent van service to Victory Monument for under 30 baht.

Swampy is bad, but it won't become better by spreading the traffic between two airports.

Probably not noticably. Don Muang has been around for a vey loooong time and the are around it is very well established. IMO :o

Swampy does have a proper bus terminal with free shuttles from the main terminal (express shuttle from departure and arrival floors), with buses to all over Bangkok, including Ekamai and Mo Chit. There's also an excellent van service to Victory Monument for under 30 baht.

Swampy is bad, but it won't become better by spreading the traffic between two airports.

Just read what TAT says, the number of travellers will be in short agin as before !

So stupid ignorance you can get only by GVT leade companies and authorities.

Some weeks ago, I could catch a seat on Thai airwas in flight only, as gold member and waiting list !

You dont believe, I found 40 seats free in the plain,

I could sleep on 4 free seats,

but 2 weeks before no seat available, full booked !

Stupid or arrogant ?

its your joice !!

A stupid question if i may!

But does this mean that most people will loose their jobs? so say 500-1000 people will be out of work? or will they give them new jobs?

Is this being done because of the drop in tourism and just like most other company's worldwide AOT is restructuring to save money?

If it is due to drop in profits then may be the government can use the $100 billion that they have in reserves to keep people employed rather then use the money to keep the baht strong.

The moaning from virtually all posters on this thread borders on the inane. If your recall after Suvarnabhumi opened, it became the ONLY airport in BKK. Don Muang was shut down.

The new airport in Cobra Swamp can adequately and easily handle the volume of traffic. The two best signs if an airport is over capacity are the lines waiting to have your carry-on luggage scanned and aircraft queues as they wait on the tarmac for takeoff. Even before they revived Don Mueang there were no traffic probs at Suvarnabhumi. The airport shines in comparison to most major airports in the world. Go to Hamburg, Heathrow, Charles de Gaulle, JFK in New York or the pitiful LAX and you'll see airports clogged to capacity.

This thread is much ado about NOTHING and epitomizes the extent of the whining perpetuated on TV.

Sorry folks, but this thread annoyed me, especially after reading posts about major cities having two airports. How many really do? Fewer than you think that's fer sher.