Pig Blood Used In Soups

turnpike

i posted this in the pets forum a couple of hours ago, but perhaps it's better posted here as one of my questions was how is this stuff made?

i know the base is pigs blood, i bought some tonight and the missus uses it in soup,

i've ate it before, it's got no taste, just big chunks of floating brown "gel", similar (to me) as tofu, just a different colour.

just wondering how it is made? is it just pure pigs blood? it is bought in the market as floating "cakes", best way i can describe it.

thanks in advance for any help.

i posted this in the pets forum a couple of hours ago, but perhaps it's better posted here as one of my questions was how is this stuff made?

i know the base is pigs blood, i bought some tonight and the missus uses it in soup,

i've ate it before, it's got no taste, just big chunks of floating brown "gel", similar (to me) as tofu, just a different colour.

just wondering how it is made? is it just pure pigs blood? it is bought in the market as floating "cakes", best way i can describe it.

thanks in advance for any help.

Not only pork blood.

Pork blood for pork dishes and chicken, duck and cow's blood for the respective dishes. It is basically simple blood allowed to coagulate in baskets.

I do not care for the blood in anything but to each his own.Here are a few photos of chicken blood made to eat.First you have to get the blood then you place the bowl of blood in to the boiling water carfully.After it sets you have your finnal product.In the cooking photo you can see that the bowl has turned over,it was already cooked at the point.

post-14263-1233242447_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1233242458_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1233242468_thumb.jpg

I think it's whisked before being cooked (then sold) - the stuff I buy has bubbles set inside.

Cuban,I do not ever remember anyone ever wisking the blood.All I have ever seen is put it in a bowl and then in boiling water.Maybe the boiling water caused the blood to boil some before it set up.

I used some blocks of pig blood this morning - no bubbles in it. (Tesco)

The whisking takes place before the blood is set/cooked into small rubbery slabs - I think my bubbly bloody blocks may just be from one market trader I use?

I do not care for the blood in anything but to each his own.Here are a few photos of chicken blood made to eat.First you have to get the blood then you place the bowl of blood in to the boiling water carfully.After it sets you have your finnal product.In the cooking photo you can see that the bowl has turned over,it was already cooked at the point.

Pig's blood, cow's blood, and chicken's blood are all delicious, especially in rice porridge with some herbs and all, but I prefer not to see it made...

Cuban, you may like to know that you can get pure pig's blood soup. This soup is poplular in the north of Thailand, it is called "loo". The addition of herbs/spices such as lemon grass acts as a anti-coagulant, so it it does not set. I don't recommend it, but then again... everybody to their taste.

You may be interested in an amusing (??) story relating to loo. When I was in Phrae I was told about a young motorcyclist who was coming back from the market having bought a large bag of Loo for his family. To carry the bag he pushed it under his T-shirt. Anyway, he came off his motorbike and the bag burst spreading loo/blood all over the road and his T-shirt. He was not severely injured but the consensus of the bystanders was that he was he was certain to die!!

D

I will pass the recommentaion on to my dogs, they eat small amounts (too rich to allow them to eat a lot), I only eat it when provided in noodle soup meals etc.

BTW - pig's blood raw might be good too, for the dogs that is. (Yes they are given worming tablets.)

cuban i already expalined to u in the pet section:

we make it about once a montho r so when a pig is slaughtered/or calf by the thai workers

yes it is stirred, not whisked but stirred usually someone drinking lao khao in one hand stirs with the other using hand or a bunch of lemmon grass stems folded over as a sort of whisk, breaking up the clots .. btw, the blood is taken usually just when the animal is slaughtered, even a bit alive.... not for the squeamish, usually bled out of a main blood vessel near the throat, caught in a bowl or bucket...

it is drunk straight from the animal still hot, followed by a shot of lao kao (i do w/o the whiskey, being a polite woman and not a man), and the rest saved, refrigerated, and later, sliced and fried or put in soup. i love it both ways actually once u get over the 'dracula' type feeling of drinking blood...

this is in israel btw, most of the issaan thai workers do this which is where i and my husband get it from... it is actually a highly desirable part of the animal and is often a first come first serve /buy part of the animal...

yummy

bina

israel

• 3 weeks later...
cuban i already expalined to u in the pet section:

we make it about once a montho r so when a pig is slaughtered/or calf by the thai workers

yes it is stirred, not whisked but stirred usually someone drinking lao khao in one hand stirs with the other using hand or a bunch of lemmon grass stems folded over as a sort of whisk, breaking up the clots .. btw, the blood is taken usually just when the animal is slaughtered, even a bit alive.... not for the squeamish, usually bled out of a main blood vessel near the throat, caught in a bowl or bucket...

it is drunk straight from the animal still hot, followed by a shot of lao kao (i do w/o the whiskey, being a polite woman and not a man), and the rest saved, refrigerated, and later, sliced and fried or put in soup. i love it both ways actually once u get over the 'dracula' type feeling of drinking blood...

this is in israel btw, most of the issaan thai workers do this which is where i and my husband get it from... it is actually a highly desirable part of the animal and is often a first come first serve /buy part of the animal...

yummy

bina

israel

Not exactly Kosher, is it? :o

Not exactly Kosher, is it?
If you have seen what passes for 'correct' practice with regard to Kosher or Halal processing of animals to meat the whole idea does seem to be a tick-box and nothing else in someplaces.

As for a pet food - I recall your reply yes, I should re-read it.

Not sure my wife would like the idea of our dogs getting a taste for fresh blood, she shudders when I feed them raw chicken already.