Do I Have To Go To Thailand For My Stepsons Visa?

Can anyone tell me if I have to go to Thailand to hand in the settlement papers for my stepson to come to the UK? My wife will fly out later this year but if I could I would prefer not to go myself. With the cost involved and it would be useful for me to keep my holidays from work. My wife has been here 16 months and is in the second year of her ESOL studies. Her settlement visa is up for renewal in August and hopefully she would have completed two of the required three years. From what I gather she will have to apply for an extension to her current visa so she can do her third year and so qualify for ILR.

Thanks,

Dave

No, you do not have to be there yourself.

Have a good read of Chapter 14 - Settlement entry for children, paying particular attention to the sections on sole responsibility.

Many people have been refused a visa for their child because they failed to satisfy the sole responsibility requirement, or rather because they failed to show that they did.

Please prepare properly.

Thanks,

My wife has changed his name to her maiden name and said she can get letters from the amphur to prove she has sole custody. She has also said she will get a letter from his school to prove we have paid for all his schooling.

Thanks again,

Dave

Thanks,

My wife has changed his name to her maiden name and said she can get letters from the amphur to prove she has sole custody. She has also said she will get a letter from his school to prove we have paid for all his schooling.

Thanks again,

Dave

If she has sole custody granted as part of her divorce it will be on the the devorce paper. A translated copy of that should be enough.

Thanks,

Thanks again,

Dave

If she has sole custody granted as part of her divorce it will be on the the devorce paper. A translated copy of that should be enough.

My wife was never married but the boys father hasn't been seen for years, she has been to the Amphur and has been told they will give her documentation stating sole responsibility which I hope will be enough for the British Embassy.

Regards,

Dave

she has been to the Amphur and has been told they will give her documentation stating sole responsibility which I hope will be enough for the British Embassy.
The ampur can confirm sole custody, but this is not enough, she needs to show she has been exercising sole responsibility over the child's upbringing. This includes financial support and taking all the important decisions over his upbringing, such as the letter from the school you mention.

Sole responsibility and sole custody are not the same thing. She will need to show that she has both. I know of people who have had a visa for their child refused, even though they had sole custody and the child lived with their family and had no contact with the other parent, because they failed to show that they satisfied the sole responsibility requirement.

Please read the link I provided earlier to see what is required.