Using "turbo Tax" From Thailand

Turbo Tax... mai ow.... If it is worth it for you, not sure of your situatiion, but that are a number of good people in BKK who can do tax in your home land reporting. Have a check at you Embassy for a good name. I know there are a bunch for Americans. but for me I'll use the same CPA I've had for years. maby spend 1K Baht in FED EX fees.

Turbo Tax... mai ow.... If it is worth it for you, not sure of your situatiion, but that are a number of good people in BKK who can do tax in your home land reporting. Have a check at you Embassy for a good name. I know there are a bunch for Americans. but for me I'll use the same CPA I've had for years. maby spend 1K Baht in FED EX fees.

Have you used Turbo Tax ?

I am following this thread and am also interested in doing online taxes. Not interested in having a professional do it for me. Can either TurboTax or Tax Cut be used and submitted from Thailand? I have read some users say you can fill out the return but not generate an e-file to the IRS as it must be done within the USA.

I have used Turbo Tax online, for the past 6 years. It is a piece of cake. If you have a foreign mailing address, you can't file your taxes electronically. You can either file your taxes through snail mail or, as I have done, use a friend's US mailing address.

I have used Turbo Tax online, for the past 6 years. It is a piece of cake. If you have a foreign mailing address, you can't file your taxes electronically. You can either file your taxes through snail mail or, as I have done, use a friend's US mailing address.

Thats great, I have planed to use Turbo Tax on line this year. Piece of cake you say? I hope so :o

Edited by skipvice

Thats great, I have planed to use Turbo Tax on line this year. Piece of cake you say? I hope so :o

I used it this year, and found them great. My on-line tax's were submitted on the 10th of Jan09 and approved within 5 working days. According to the on-line tax follower the rebate will be in my stateside account on the 30th of Jan09. Price FREE

I have used it here in Thailand for the last 3 years and have never had a problem. I do have a US address so have not had the address problem you are concerned about. The best thing about it is that I can input my stock and bank accounts, to include logins and passwords, and it will go into those accounts and pull the information to be placed into the form. A breeze when it comes to long term or short term capital gains.

If you use the online edition your credit card is not charged until you have completed the form and either print it out or it will e-file for you. You can start and stop whenever you want.

Once you use it it will go back to previous years return and copy all the recurring information.

I also have Eftps from the IRS to pay them electronically. A great deal if you have to estimate your tax payments.

See: https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/

The reason I do not use a US address is because I stopped filing state returns in my old state. I feel if I used a US address in my old state (I could) that would not be in my favor if I am ever challenged by my old state. The way I divorced myself from my old state was for the year I moved I filed a partial year state resident return, stating the move date, and listed a Thai address on the form. If you can use a state with no state tax you won't have this issue.

Not being able to efile is a real pain though.

BTW, for those who have a Thai bank account that goes over (or a combo of accounts) 10K USD at anytime during the year, you must also file a special form to treasury declaring these accounts. Failure to do so puts you subject to massive fines. I mean massive!!!

Edited by Jingthing

BTW, for those who have a Thai bank account that goes over (or a combo of accounts) 10K USD at anytime during the year, you must also file a special form to treasury declaring these accounts. Failure to do so puts you subject to massive fines. I mean massive!!!

which means Guantanamo, circumcision (if applicable), water boarding and learning the Holy Qr'an by heart :o

how could they confirm these figures?

are the systems linked in any way ?

how could they confirm these figures?

are the systems linked in any way ?

I don't really know but I do know at least one federal agency knows about each and every SWIFT transfer made from the US to overseas. So the link could be made that way. Thailand isn't Switzerland and I doubt it has strict banking privacy protections and Thailand and the US are close allies. That said, I am not saying the enforcement is wide, but I am saying if you do not comply your government has a big sword over your head which if they choose they could wield at any time. Why give them that power?