Cow Manure And Sandy Soil

newatthis

This is not a farming problem but I need some advice. Our yard is new but the soil is not the usual heavy clay soil. It is more a heavy brown sandy composition which sets like concrete when left undisturbed.

I'm trying to estabish some trees, bouganvillias, and other plants. I have been told that I cannot use any manures in this type of soil as it will make the soil too hot. Is this true? I have been working lots of leaves etc into the soil around the plants to help water retention. With the warmer weather approaching, I would like to fertilize my garden.

I can get manure very easily. If I cannot use manure what is the best fertilizer to get?

This is not a farming problem but I need some advice. Our yard is new but the soil is not the usual heavy clay soil. It is more a heavy brown sandy composition which sets like concrete when left undisturbed.

I'm trying to estabish some trees, bouganvillias, and other plants. I have been told that I cannot use any manures in this type of soil as it will make the soil too hot. Is this true? I have been working lots of leaves etc into the soil around the plants to help water retention. With the warmer weather approaching, I would like to fertilize my garden.

I can get manure very easily. If I cannot use manure what is the best fertilizer to get?

Newatthis,

Let me guess that what was meant was; dont use fresh manure as it would burn your plants. Few Thai farmers compost manures or anything else for that matter. Most manures used are aged simply by being left in the cow shed until they are used.

The soil "stone" that you have described is like what I have in Isaan. It does respond well to having straw and or rice hulls as well as manures worked into it. Hard work but you can get it there.

Just get some well rotted manure and give the ground a good soaking the day before you intend to dig it in.

Isaanaussie

PS. I cheat and use a rotary hoe on the tractor.

PPS. If you cant get old stuff, use what you can put drown the area after digging it in and before you plant into it.

Edited by IsaanAussie

I totally agree with IA, thais never make compost heaps and grain fed cow shit will just give you a load of weeds, your best bet would be chicken manure or bat guano, Usually chicken crap is aged and ready to use, same with bat guano [shit] ,Bat shit is very dusty and will water into the cracked soil easily,

And its a good time to make a compost heap, using the cow crap, kitchen waste [no meat] untreated sawdust/chippings, anything that will rot down, lots of web sites about this,

Cheers, Lickey..

Usually chicken crap is aged and ready to use.

The chook poo we get is aged, but has a very strong smell of ammonia, which means nitrogen is lost into the atmosphere, correct? I would think composting would be a good idea. Our helper doesn't like it, thinks it's too strong and prefers cow manure, but I think the chook poo works out cheaper.