Airport Protection Cabinet Passes Draft Law To Protect Airports From Intruders

george

AIRPORT PROTECTION

Cabinet passes draft law to protect airports from intruders

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet on Wednesday also endorsed the draft law to protect international airports which would empower the airports' security officers to disperse intruders who are also subjected to penalties.

The penalties are up to Bt10,000.

Deputy Suvarnabhumi Airport director Wing Commander, Prateep Wichittoe, said that the draft law would cover all international airports across the nation. Without the law, the airports' officers have no authority to disperse the intruders and the job falls on police officers.

"The law is for civil cases," he said. "Criminal cases would be handled by other laws including the anti-terrorism one."

The law was proposed following the seizure of Suvarnabhumi Airport for 8 days in November and December, which severely rocked the confidence of investors and tourists. The seizure followed a similar episode witnessed by Phuket and Hat Yai airports.

-- The Nation 2009-01-28

I thought that it was part of the standard for the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) that required countries to have laws that related to airport security. I must be wrong. Perhaps Thailand isnt a member? Find that hard to believe, as well.

Wow, I can actually disagree with myself here, no need for other posters.

I find it hard to believe that Thailand didnt already have laws relating to airport security....perhaps they have just updated them? :o

Every post should start TIT This is Thailand

It's a fudge isn't it?

The new law is to allow AIRPORT SECURITY OFFICERS ( an agency as I understand it )to protect the airport. They were not technically allowed to before !!

The police ( and the military ) however always had those powers but were broadly not used.

This saves face. The security guys couldn't act because we hadn't specifically passed a law for them The police couldn't act because...................

Kasit also told the parliament that he saw nothing wrong with the airport closure since many airports around the world also needed to close after protests by pilots or ground staffs.

"I have never seen any countries compensate for the tourists for that matter," he said and added his government has a special care to compensate the travelers.

Source: The Nation - 28 January 2009

What the Thai Foreign Minister said is priceless.

The Cabinet must be wrong to draft that law.

Why are they outlawing "fun" takeovers of airports with delicious food and merriment for all? What's next, outlawing dancing?

Whatever, do not Outlaw those Coyote dancers :o

I heard today on TOC news that the security would be allowed to 'disperse mobs'. That also makes me laugh.

They can make/pass as many laws as they like, if, however, they are not implemented, it's all academic.

FF

Law enforcement and consistency has and continue eluding this wonderful country. The priority is to "give the appearance" of......... which reeks of denial. Is Integrity to be found?

PM insists airport security bill aimed at restoring foreigners’ confidence towards Thailand

Prime Minister Mr. Abhisit Vejjajiva disclosed the draft Suvarnabhumi international airport security act was aimed at restoring foreigners’ confidence towards the country and enhancing airport security officials’ power.

Commenting on draft Suvarnabhumi international airport security act, Mr. Abhisit said on Thursday (January 29) that he has assigned a policy for officials to enhance the airport’s security after it was blocked by People’s Alliance for Democracy.

He said that he promised foreigners since his first day in office that the airport blockade would not recur. To keep his promise, Mr. Abhisit said that his government has implemented a policy to create reconciliation among factions in the Thai society.

Believing that foreigners also wanted to see the government’s implementation of concrete measures, Mr. Abhisit said that Ministry of Transport earlier proposed two options.

The first option, which was approved, was management measure such as establishment of check points etc. The second option was enhancing power to the airport’s security officials. He suggested the Cabinet during its meeting on Wednesday that the draft act to enhance officials’ power should not concentrate only Suvarnabhumi international airport, but should cover Thailand’s all airports to create real confidence among foreigners.

The draft act, he said, was seeking views from the Council of State and other agencies as the policy has just been implemented for less than a month. Commenting on criticism that punishment clause of the act was too light, he said that more important points of the draft act was that the country would have preventive measure for the airport not to be blockade again. In addition, the airports’ officials were equipped with enough power to control untowards situation in the airport. The mentioned measures were more vital than severe punishment clause, he added.

According to the draft act, culprits against the airport would be subject to being fined at maximum 10,000 baht a case.

Source: National News Bureau of Thailand - 30 January 2009

According to the draft act, culprits against the airport would be subject to being fined at maximum 10,000 baht a case.

So not only is it legislation to help certain people save face......it also very weak legislation. Seriously, what difference do you think this type of legilsation is going to make to extreeme nutters?

Try invading the airports in other countries and see where you end up....& a fine of a mere few hundred dollars will have nothing to do with it.

:o

Try invading the airports in other countries and see where you end up

Where?

Everyone can enter the airport, it's not illegal. Of course when a five-ten thousand strong crowd assembles there it looks very threatening, but not illegal, per se.

What if someone organises a massive flashmob at the airport, just for fun? Thousands of people go there at a predetermined time and simultaneously shout "hurray" three times in a row. Maybe under these new rules it will be illegal, but under existing law you can't just "execute these terrorists".

I was too stupid earlier until I watched Truth Today from 6:30pm.

The draft says that those who violate (blocking airport for instance) will be fined 500 Baht.

I can't believe someone who graduated in UK can have such a brain.

The wonderful thing about government coming from Army and Dems is they issue law having effect for the past. So PAD will pay 500 Baht each person. Case closed. 290,000 million Baht lost caused by 8 day airport blockage is no problem.

So anyone who wants to knock a government they don't like just gather a few thousand nuts and sit at Suvarnabhumi. Later they will pay 500 Baht fine and go home.

Not sure if other civilized countries in this planet have this kind of law. Retroactive law?

AIRPORT PROTECTION

Cabinet passes draft law to protect airports from intruders

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet on Wednesday also endorsed the draft law to protect international airports which would empower the airports' security officers to disperse intruders who are also subjected to penalties.

Funny. They don't want somebody else do what they did before? Does this mean before it wasn't against the law?

:o

I was too stupid earlier until I watched Truth Today from 6:30pm.

The draft says that those who violate (blocking airport for instance) will be fined 500 Baht.

I can't believe someone who graduated in UK can have such a brain.

The wonderful thing about government coming from Army and Dems is they issue law having effect for the past. So PAD will pay 500 Baht each person. Case closed. 290,000 million Baht lost caused by 8 day airport blockage is no problem.

So anyone who wants to knock a government they don't like just gather a few thousand nuts and sit at Suvarnabhumi. Later they will pay 500 Baht fine and go home.

Not sure if other civilized countries in this planet have this kind of law. Retroactive law?

Price List

========

THB 700 for 1 hour, to pass through. Food and entertainment extra.

THB 500 for 8 days, to shut it down. Food and entertainment provided.

Which is cheaper?

Edited by samgrowth