Thai Court Convicts 66 Migrants Of Illegal Entry

sabaijai

Thai court convicts 66 migrants of illegal entry

The Associated Press

Wed, Jan 28, 2009 (4:18 a.m.)

A Thai court on Wednesday convicted 66 barefoot, disheveled migrants detained at sea of illegally entering the country, raising the prospect they could be sent back to Myanmar despite fears they would be persecuted there.

A Ranong provincial court judge sentenced each defendant to five days in prison after none of them was able to pay a 1,000 baht ($30) fine. Four had to be brought in from hospital to face sentencing, one carried by two men because his legs were broken.

The Thai navy detained the Rohingya migrants on Monday after their rickety boat was found adrift in the Andaman Sea off Thailand's southwestern coast. The Thai government contends the migrants do not qualify for refugee status, and a police official said they could be expelled after they served their sentence.

"Have pity on us," migrant Mamoud Hussain said before the ruling. "They'll kill me and my family if I go back."

Hussain, 50, was among 78 migrants on the boat. Twelve minors were being held separately because they are too young to be tried, said Ranong police Col. Weerasilp Kwanseng.

The plight of the Rohingyas _ a stateless, Muslim ethnic group who fled persecution in Myanmar, also known as Burma _ was highlighted earlier this month following accusations that some of them had been abused by Thai authorities. Human rights groups say the Thai navy has twice intercepted boats filled with hundreds of Rohingyas and sent them back to the open seas, where hundreds later died.

Thai authorities have repeatedly denied wrongdoing, insisting they only detain and repatriate people entering the country illegally.

"There is no reasonable ground to believe that these illegal migrants fled from their country of origin for well-founded fear of being persecuted," the Foreign Ministry said in a statement. Thailand faces an "enormous burden" because of 3 million illegal migrants currently in the country, the ministry said.

But the Washington-based Refugees International has warned that any Rohingya repatriated to Myanmar "is subject to arrest and abuse."

Hussain said his group fled Myanmar about a month ago to escape poverty and persecution. He said sailors from the Myanmar navy who caught up with them as they sailed toward Thailand boarded their vessel and beat them with wooden and metal rods.

"They told us there are no Muslims in Burma, and they continued to beat us," he said. The migrants were detained for 10 days and then let go. "They told us not to come back again, or they'll shoot us all."

Tens of thousands of Rohingyas live in camps in Bangladesh, where many have been granted refugee status. Many more brave the seas in search of a better life, often traveling to Thailand on their way to Malaysia.

Army Col. Manat Kongpan said a Thai navy patrol found the migrants near Surin island in Ranong, 460 kilometers (290 miles) southwest of Bangkok. They were handed over to police custody. Thai police fed the emaciated and haggard migrants, and treated their wounds.

The Thai authorities' care for the migrants was covered on state television in an apparent attempt to mitigate some of the damage done to Thailand's image earlier this month when the Bangkok-based Arakan Project accused the navy of forcing as many as 1,000 mostly Rohingya migrants out to sea in boats with no engines and little food or water.

Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has said authorities will investigate the rights' group allegations.

___

Associated Press Writer Jocelyn Gecker in Bangkok, Thailand, contributed to this report.

Why would any country want to let muslims refugees in...doesnt matter how it starts, pretty soon they want the country they live in to adapt to their views and beliefs...just get rid of them quickly and make sure that the example set deters any others from trying to enter.

"The plight of the Rohingyas _ a stateless, Muslim ethnic group who fled persecution in Myanmar, also known as Burma _ was high lighted earlier this month following accusations that some of them had been abused by Thai authorities. Human rights groups say the Thai navy has twice intercepted boats filled with hundreds of Rohingyas and sent them back to the open seas, where hundreds later died."

The key words in above quote are "Muslim" and "Human Rights groups".

May I suggest to the Human Rights groups that they ask the Malaysian government to accept the Rohingyas. At least they will go to a country with the same religion. Later they could become nationals of one of the super rich Islamic countries such as Brunei or the Emirates; countries which are short of inhabitants anyway. Why do Muslims always have to flee to non-Muslim countries and expect that the people of these countries make facilities for their religion?

Whilst I sympathise with anyone who is seeking a better life, I cannot understand why these human rights people (organisations) don't seem to assist in trying to resettle people legally. Perhaps they should approach Muslim countries to take these people. I am not against any style of religion, I believe people of the muslim faith would be more comfortable in communities of that faith. I have seen Australia take in Muslims which has created problems in the country. They do not appear to assimilate and prefer to retain their own way of life instead of adapting to their new environment.

Why would any country want to let muslims refugees in...doesnt matter how it starts, pretty soon they want the country they live in to adapt to their views and beliefs...just get rid of them quickly and make sure that the example set deters any others from trying to enter.

This is spot on. I liken it to people who decide to live close to an airport and then down the road try to restrict airport activity or seek compensation because the airport noise causes them discomfort.

Anyone entering any country illegally should be turned away. It's called rule of law. Human rights people and do-gooders conveniently forget about "law" when it serves their interests. The USA has a huge illegal alien population that when, not if, it organizes, it will cause all kinds of criminal problems...only a matter of time. Keep your guns handy and loaded.

Stop it before it grows.

Martian

There are effective and HUMANE ways of dealing with the problem. It requires that they be screened to determine the reasons why they came and the consequences of their action. If they are genuine political refugees, then resettlement is an option. If they are economic migrants, then return to their country is an option. In many, many cases people are both.

The military junta in Burma needs to be put on notice that their behavior toward people has consequences for their neighbors and this needs to be done by their neighbors--in this case Thailand--as well as the international community.

I don't think anyone is advocating that these people be allowed to settle in Thailand, or to run loose in the country. If they are refugees and will face further persecution when they are returned, then the best resettlement choice from them is most likely a Muslim country. They are ill-equipped to deal with the huge culture shock of many Western Judeo-Christian nations.

Edited by Scott