Why The Need For Giant Pick-up Trucks?

Neeranam

Pretty easy for me to explain why I drive what I do, and no matter you say a sedan or luxury car isn't going to do it..............

post-3361-1196610667_thumb.jpgpost-3361-1196610693_thumb.jpg

post-3361-1196610642_thumb.jpgpost-3361-1196610627_thumb.jpgpost-3361-1196610610_thumb.jpgpost-3361-1196610590_thumb.jpg

Wieng Haeng, Chiang Mai, Laos and Burma

However, when I am driving around Chiang Mai and looking for a parking spot I wish I drove something smaller (even though this truck is just a mid-size in the U.S.).

I have never purchased a vehicle thinking I was going to have an accident. I had a friend (used car salesman) who criticized my car purchases because I didn't consider the best or most popular options to get the most resale value. I buy a vehicle for me, not for the guy I am going to sell it to, and not because I may someday have an accident.

Ref the post on spotlight legality; I had to take my front lights off at the Chiang Mai Department of Transport when I had it inspected, illegal they said (later put them back on).

If I were driving in BKK, or never had a need to haul anything or leave the pavement, I would drive something else. I buy a vehicle that will do what I want it to do and match my needs (sometimes it takes more than 1). :o

However, when I am driving around Chiang Mai and looking for a parking spot I wish I drove something smaller (even though this truck is just a mid-size in the U.S.).

Ehm, it's actually COMPACT sized in the US. :o You can't get smaller pick-ups than the common Thai 1-tonne variety in the USA.. but you can get bigger. And then LOADS bigger, with full 4 door cab AND full bed and 6 wheels. :D

Does Neeraram really need that economy sized box of Cornflakes? There's so much variety in terms of cereal out there and when you buy the big box just to save a few Baht, IMO you're missing out on the spice of life.

Discuss.

:o

What are you on about?

Does Neeraram really need that economy sized box of Cornflakes? There's so much variety in terms of cereal out there and when you buy the big box just to save a few Baht, IMO you're missing out on the spice of life.

Discuss.

What are you on about?

I'm trying on what it feels like to be bothered/annoyed with the personal choices of those completely unrelated to me.

:D

Edited by Heng

I'm trying on what it feels like to be bothered/annoyed with the personal choices of those completely unrelated to me.

you need to have pure undiluted anglo saxon blood flowing through your veins before you will be able to feel the sense of outrage and vein bursting bluster that we so often experience and enjoy under those circumstances.

its not an option for thais i'm afraid.

Heng, don't tell me that you have a pick-up - I wouldn't believe you for a minute. Chinese/Thai people in Bangkok would rather starve than own one, or sell their daughters to be able to have a benz outside their noodle shop. :D

What a racist, bigoted comment :o

And it is bullshit :D

Discuss.

What are you on about?

LOL.. Sweet! Serves him right.

Oh.. All my neighbours are Chinese-Thais.. One Hilux truck (same as pictured earlier), one Furtuner and one Sport Rider. I'd say if you take a typical 'Farlang car' sample you may find fairly similar vehicle choices?

Ajarn had it correct; Bigoted bullshit. Strange how some things are allowed to remain on this forum where actual opinions sometimes go when a mild criticism of the rules is perceived.

Edited: Spelling mistakes corrected, though decided to leave "Furtuner" as it's FUNNY.

Edited by chanchao

I have 3 vehicles a Vigo 4x4 4-door, suzuki 4x4 and Yaris for the wife they all have a purpose. The Vigo is by far the most versitile vehicle there is and I can't imagine why anyone (besides people wanting to show off with a German car) would want a car if they can only have one vehicle.

<br />
<br />This thread is so old it would fail a roadworthy test.<br /><br />The pick-ups you see in Thailand are not giants and there is very little difference in weight between them and a mid-size family saloon.<br />there are however half the cost and &quot;twice&quot; as dangerous.....<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br />Depends on if your'e doing the hitting or being hit , I think I'd rather be hit in a pick up than a car, more metal to fold up an take the impact and Thai drivers?????????????? say no more!!<br />
<br /><br /><br />yeah, yeah ,yeah...I'm sorry that is old hat and whereas I can't say anytinng about your FEELINGS, the truth is you are much safer in a sedan.<br />I really don't want to go through why again just google about a bit. Remember you are looking at the usual pickup sold/built here in Thailand.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/BUSINESS/02/28...fety/index.html

It really depends on the type of accident and yes I have read other articles contradicting this, in a roll over it would be worse in an SUV. The Trrl is a Uk organisation involved with making driving safer for 35+years. It says in a 2 car incident you would be better off in an SUV. No I dont want to try it thanks and yes it just my formulated opinion as is yours. I see many tests on this type of vehicle and they use all participants deaths/injuries as a measure of its safety so if I walk away from my SUV unscathed and you are dead in your vehicle then they are clasifying the SUV as not so good. I am only interested in my own survival and whilst sorry for any other party I cannot consider the rest of the world.

There is a UK programme "Top Gear" they tried destroying a pick up recenlty and they couldnt, dropped it off buildings, chucked it in the sea etc still wouldn't die, yes I know the car survived and the passengers probably wouldn't. I know strength is not the overall factor and that you really want all the metal concerteenering around you to absorb the impact and for the car to be totally destroyed in this way.

Heng, don't tell me that you have a pick-up - I wouldn't believe you for a minute. Chinese/Thai people in Bangkok would rather starve than own one, or sell their daughters to be able to have a benz outside their noodle shop. :D

Actually we have several, but mostly for work use. The closest thing to your "pickup issues" would be a pair of Fortuners we have, one gas, one diesel and a CR-V.

What a racist, bigoted comment :o

And it is bullshit :D

I do sympathize with his frustration though. It only gets worse as the social divide/gap increases (worldwide, not just in Thailand). At least he has a harmless vent in threads/posts like these.

2005. This thread is like a little 'grumpy grouch' time capsule.

I just looked at this last page of the thread..

Have you mentioned a poor guy who was squeezed to death in Honda City when a bus run red lights into it. There's no way you could smash a pickup truck like that, apart from against a solid wall. The famous "collapsible" design was too too weak to withstand the impact. The car just collapsed.

i'm 6ft 2 and 14 stone and there is no way i could drive a corrolla, vios etc. i got in them in the showroom and they were like toys cars.

the prerunner is a perfect fit, plus it feels a lot safer to have my little boy in the back of one of these. you have better view of the road, fuel economy is good .... and they look impressive too. best ''car'' i have ever owned by a long way.

the craze for mercedes always brings a smile -they are for old men in england! wouldnt be seen dead in one for another 40 years....

<br />
in the uk i have had high status bmw's , jags , audis and benzs , and cheap low status fords , vauxhalls and renaults , but the best of them all is the vigo i own now.<br /><br />until you have tried one , dont knock it.
<br /><br />I own a Vigo. It's nowhere near a BMW, Audi or Jag.<br /><br />Sorry, but that statement is utter BS.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Friend of mine in the Uk's got a BMW "1" series, biggest piece of crap they've ever owned, dull inside broke down 2 days after being delivered new and lousy service from BMW dealer. Over priced too, best car she/we had was and ALFA 147 Selespeed only had it 18 months very nice it was too, beautiful inside and out.

The new 135i looks incredible, with performance to match.

I've owned several BMWs. Best cars on the road for my money. Dealer service always been impeccable too.

Best cars I ever owned were a midnight blue E30 M3 Evo III and my brilliant red E36 318iS coupe.

I'm a confessed serial Bimmer owner, Red E36 M3, 735i, and another E36 325is coupe.

But, Porsches are my true love, and I've owned more of those....

Oh yeah, regarding big trucks. love em. I own a Vigo Prerunner as one of my vehicles.

3 litre engines enable cruising speeds to be maintained at low revs and that means they are working more efficiently with less stress on the moving parts and they use less fuel, and you can really blast away from traffic lights too.

Diesel engines are designed to operate most efficiently at higher rpm's than gasoline engines. Drivers of diesel engines who drive at lower rpm's will experience a buildup of oil sludge in the injectors in fairly short order. This is the reason for the huge clouds of black smoke some of these guys put out...

Plus diesel fuel is a low grade fuel....just doesn't have the capability of burning clean at high or low speeds. :o

3 litre engines enable cruising speeds to be maintained at low revs and that means they are working more efficiently with less stress on the moving parts and they use less fuel, and you can really blast away from traffic lights too.

Diesel engines are designed to operate most efficiently at higher rpm's than gasoline engines. Drivers of diesel engines who drive at lower rpm's will experience a buildup of oil sludge in the injectors in fairly short order. This is the reason for the huge clouds of black smoke some of these guys put out...

Plus diesel fuel is a low grade fuel....just doesn't have the capability of burning clean at high or low speeds. :D

Diesels are designed to run at high RPM? :o You'll have to show me some facts to back that one up. I always thought the opposite.

I am told that 4x4's in Thailand come with Diesel engines ONLY! At least mine could only be had with the diesel and the automatic trans was only available on the 3.0L. Mine was a "50th Anniversary Edition" and came with a list of options, not that I really cared that much. If I COULD get a strong enough gasoline engine in it believe me I would have. Never had a diesel in my life, but I did get used to it after a short time.

Actually we have several, but mostly for work use. The closest thing to your "pickup issues" would be a pair of Fortuners we have, one gas, one diesel and a CR-V.

You won't let an opportunity to boast about your wealth pass will you.

We? I thought you were single. If we are talking about the family, my father in law has a pickup and a merc. My sister has a Lexus SUV and her husband a Jaguar, my brother a BMW top of the range and me a mazda sports car. I won't tell you "mummy and daddy" have but it is certainly better then a Fortuner or CRV :o .

What Plus said is a good point...those Honda Cities, Toyota Vios's, etc are crushed easily in accidents. A rigid old Chevy may not crunch up at all, allowing your body to absorb the rest of the impact. However, today's engineers have gone too far in the other direction, making their cars too weak. With rising oil prices, fuel economy is becomming more and more important for the average commuter, but I'd rather pay more at the pump than drive around in a Pepsi can.

Heng's a part of a herd now, they hitched and branded him, and put him in line for the throne, I suppose.

He always speaks for his big family, it's the way of their life, they make all the major decisions together, I expect they don't buy cars just for their own pleasure - thus Heng gets a minivan instead of Supra.

Previous generation Toyota diesel redlined below 4,000 rpm and never ever issued clouds of black smoke. The information above is simply incorrect if referred to Thai pickups.

Diesel engines are designed to operate most efficiently at higher rpm's than gasoline engines

are you quite sure of that fact ???

Think he's mixed up with his pressures and RPM. Diesel engines are designed to operate at higher pressures and lower RPM. Go thrashing your diesel motor and you'll end up knackering her, although drive it like Neeranam obviously drives his poof-mobile and you'll also do the motor no good.

A common misconception is to warm your motor up before driving. Very bad idea. Whether it be freezing cold or boiling hot outside, just get in her and drive. Although not as critical as it used to be, running engines under no load (idle) also does them no good. Happy truckin' :o

Heng's a part of a herd now, they hitched and branded him, and put him in line for the throne, I suppose.

He always speaks for his big family, it's the way of their life, they make all the major decisions together, I expect they don't buy cars just for their own pleasure - thus Heng gets a minivan instead of Supra.

Previous generation Toyota diesel redlined below 4,000 rpm and never ever issued clouds of black smoke. The information above is simply incorrect if referred to Thai pickups.

Had to make my own way, Plus. Yes, there is a seat at the board somewhere down the road, but considering that even my dad at 65 is still waiting for his seat and my 90+ year old grandpa is still at the helm, you do still need to do your own thing. That's a popular misconception for a lot of the grumpy-bitter crowd. We'e not all sitting around being fanned and fed grapes in massage parlours, at least not 7 days a week.

Enough of that tangent... maybe.

Agree with the point of about Toyota diesels, although you CAN get an older generation diesel to emit black clouds of smoke. It seems that some technical data/info always gets a creative spin on these forums. One sees it often on aircraft, immigration rules, business law, etc. related threads. It's all fun and games until a real aircraft engineer or attorney shows up.

I find little amusing about Neeranam's posts. 2 years since he started this, and he just got grumpier.

Maybe some time on the farm would do him some good? The LOS is the last place one should be if they have 'keeping up with the Jones-Watanapanichs' issues. It's all relative and one can be satisfied at wherever they are in life.