Why The Need For Giant Pick-up Trucks?

Neeranam

I know a guy in Thailand with a new toyota pick-up - he's renting another to help his wife's family on the farm as he doesn't want his one dirty! :o

Sensible guy then, who would want a brand new Vigo truck getting abused on the farm when it could be intimidating you in your little car on the highway? :D

Got a 4wd 4 doorvigo at home had it 2 years now and wouldn't be without it.Good to drive ,peppy,good visibility,you can go any where and most importantly you can carry lots of stuff on the back.I always seem to be buying cement or something of the ilk and wouldn't like that in the back of my car, and as for taking the rubbish to the collection area ,not what you want in the car. They are a much more practical viehicle than a car with all the same comforts

I was considering buying a car or a truck... and I'm weighing the options as my wife and were motorbiking it through a flash flood in Surat Thani... I'm yelling back to her...

"A car get's good gas mileage..."

no reply from her

"A car is more comfortable"

no reply from her

"A car is smaller and easier to drive..."

no reply.

then she says -

"With a truck you can play Songkran"

That decided it for me.... Songkran has to be the most fun anyone can have in 3 days.

We'll be buying a truck too.

Plus, good for the extended family.

Good for moving things.

Good for taking people to hospital - just throw them in the back, thai-style.

:o

VJ

Free e-book: Living in thailand

http://e-book-living-in-thailand.ubongames.com

(Nothing to buy on the site)

Driving a bigger car and it being higher up feels alot better and you can see alot more.

It feels alot safer. Im getting myself a new CRV soon, although its not that big it is really nice to drive compared to a normal sedan

I got an Isuzu 3 litre black windows alloys etc:

Mt wife has big family and we have 13 Rai growing rice and the wifes folks have 25 Rai.

Plus When I had built the our house over 60 trees in my garden were fetched in the back of my truck plus umpteen metres of turf plus Fertilizer each year etc etc etc.

How could I achieve this in a small car?

Also I wanted a pick up>

Its down to the individual Thailand is now rated pick up Capital of the world

Pleased I made my contribution and yes it is safer being able to loook above the small car.

OK – I can’t let a couple of points go by uncorrected –

Firstly these ideas of mass and weight...

For the purposes of this Thailand forum we are largely talking, are we not, of Toyota, Mitsubishi and Isuzu pickups etc? Well they weigh about 1800 to 1900 kg., and your average family saloon like a Camry or Accord? Well just a little more 1900+ kg.

Errrr... something stayed uncorrected for nearly a year.

Average pickup - 1.5 ton, average car - Jazz/Vios/Yaris - 1 ton, 1.1 for Corolla/Civic size. Fortuners are just under 2 ton. What will happen if they crash in cars half or two thirds of their weight?

Also pickups are rear wheel dirves, their weight distribution must be better than that of front wheel drive Japanese cars.

I liked the point about Songkran - it's really the highlight of the year, socially speaking. Open bed truck is like having an open house and an open heart. In a communal society like rural Thailand that's really a clincher.

I have a four door 4X4 Toyota and wanted to put big tires on it. It is a high ground clearance model. All the big tires I looked at are like mud tires and look like they belong on a tractor. I would like to be higher up but couldn't stand the road noise from these tires. A friend of mine has these big tires on his vehicle and you can here him coming a kilometer or so away.

while we are on the subject of transportation...

Hence my present query... how to acquire a used 13 seat van with low miles for low cost. You know what I mean, a Toyota 'Hiace', Nissan 'Urvan', etc... a big boat that you get stuck in traffic behind in BKK. The rear seats are removable for large cargo capacity and with a roof rack all one could ever need.

Tutsi,

That is actually my plan as well next I want to buy wheels here. I'll get a mini-van next. (Have a pick-up now.) Much more comfortable for all, access to AC for the whole clan, room for all and reclining seats to sleep in for the long trips, DVD player and stereo, built in cooler and cup holders, window curtains to keep the sun out, etc. etc. etc. To me a much nicer way to travel around the country with the family seeing the sights.

Cent

while we are on the subject of transportation...

Hence my present query... how to acquire a used 13 seat van with low miles for low cost. You know what I mean, a Toyota 'Hiace', Nissan 'Urvan', etc... a big boat that you get stuck in traffic behind in BKK. The rear seats are removable for large cargo capacity and with a roof rack all one could ever need.

Tutsi,

That is actually my plan as well next I want to buy wheels here. I'll get a mini-van next. (Have a pick-up now.) Much more comfortable for all, access to AC for the whole clan, room for all and reclining seats to sleep in for the long trips, DVD player and stereo, built in cooler and cup holders, window curtains to keep the sun out, etc. etc. etc. To me a much nicer way to travel around the country with the family seeing the sights.

Cent

you got the idea my man...I managed to acquire a 10 y.o. minivan from the BMTA (BKK Metro Trans Auth). The tranny is worn out and it burns oil but it gets us around. I announce 'all aboard for tescos' and the vehicle immediately fills up with squealing kids and the odd adult or two...with a cooler with drinks and a competent driver at the wheel tutsi tinkles the ice in his vodka and in the movable bosom of his beautiful thai family we

MOVE ON DOWN THE ROAD...

when we get to the tescos car park there are loads of big flash pickups...I have a look at the owners and can tell that they ain't got a pot to piz in otherwise...the poor black folk scenario repeated in central Thailand...

the best part is stopping at a roadside stand and buying sweetcorn and bananas...the kids love it...

hi ho, hi ho...

• 1 year later...

There's a big silk festival on in Khon Kaen now with excellent entertainers - Nok Noi, Carabao etc. It's interesting, and bloody annoying as the whole area is full of pickup trucks. All the peasants come in with their Toyota Vigo Hiluxes. What I can't understand is wy a frang with lots of money buys one of these jazzed up combine harvesters. Does anyone know?

i am not far off six feet and dont feel that buying my pickup is a macho thing , however as i get older and flabbier i must admit to feeling the need for something more muscle bound than myself , more a reaction to losing my youth.

Yes, unfortunately, my dream for a bigger penis by buying a big truck was not realised... :D

Your experience may differ :D

I drive a fiat but have many many g/fs :o

This thread is so old it would fail a roadworthy test.

The pick-ups you see in Thailand are not giants and there is very little difference in weight between them and a mid-size family saloon.

there are however half the cost and "twice" as dangerous.....

i dont know what you have got against these tough , down to earth , go anywhere , all purpose , cheap vehicles neeranam.

in the uk i have had high status bmw's , jags , audis and benzs , and cheap low status fords , vauxhalls and renaults , but the best of them all is the vigo i own now.

the deficiencies of handling that people whinge about actually encourage a slower , safer and more economical driving style , it will take me along almost any road or track in thailand without complaining and can carry 5 in relative comfort and a whole heap of junk in the back when necessary. it doesn't matter if it gets dented or scratched , its just another household appliance and the patina of use just adds to its appeal.

as for their size , their footprint is not much more than a medium sized family saloon , and the high driving position gives a safer view of the road.

until you have tried one , dont knock it.

<br />This thread is so old it would fail a roadworthy test.<br /><br />The pick-ups you see in Thailand are not giants and there is very little difference in weight between them and a mid-size family saloon.<br />there are however half the cost and "twice" as dangerous.....<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Depends on if your'e doing the hitting or being hit , I think I'd rather be hit in a pick up than a car, more metal to fold up an take the impact and Thai drivers?????????????? say no more!!

case of basic economics methinks.....lower VAT on pick-ups mean they are cheaper than other vehicles in addition to lasting longer....but a lower VAT also indirectly achieves another social purpose as mentioned in previous posts.....providing means of mass transport....it is cheaper for the Thai gov't to charge a lower VAT on pick-ups and thus create a pseudo-mass transport service than it would be to actually have to build out the infrastructure of a real transpoort network themselves

<br />
in the uk i have had high status bmw's , jags , audis and benzs , and cheap low status fords , vauxhalls and renaults , but the best of them all is the vigo i own now.<br /><br />until you have tried one , dont knock it.
<br /><br />I own a Vigo. It's nowhere near a BMW, Audi or Jag.<br /><br />Sorry, but that statement is utter BS.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Friend of mine in the Uk's got a BMW "1" series, biggest piece of crap they've ever owned, dull inside broke down 2 days after being delivered new and lousy service from BMW dealer. Over priced too, best car she/we had was and ALFA 147 Selespeed only had it 18 months very nice it was too, beautiful inside and out.

in the uk i have had high status bmw's , jags , audis and benzs , and cheap low status fords , vauxhalls and renaults , but the best of them all is the vigo i own now.

I own a Vigo. It's nowhere near a BMW, Audi or Jag.

Sorry, but that statement is utter BS.

No-one would rather have a pick-up truck than a BMW or Jag except maybe a window cleaner.

I have a Toyota Tiger 4WD pick up, it will go virtually anywhere, ( I hired a 2WD pick up once and was stuck in the mud in Isaan, the 4WD has no problems with anything.

I think the original poster is envious of the New pick ups cos he cannot afford one and his wife keeps nagging him for one.

So, if you are happy in a Mazda car, great, but I would not say that a car is the best form of Transport in Thailand, the Pick up is!

When the original poster is stuck in the mud and asks a guy with a 4WD to tow him out, he will appreciate them a little more.

Oh, and I paid 395,000 baht , second hand, had her a year and no problems at all, and I would still get the same money for her if I sold her tomorrow.

Mazda Car or a Pick up ? No contest. :o

I have to agree, a car in thailand dosent seem practical, not on the roads ? i use anyway, potholes,awful tarmac and surfaces almost everywhere,. no a pickup is a requirement in my book, it will do all a car will. a car will only do what a car can ,,ie no off road driving, and on some roads id consider a car dangerous, not only mazdas . :D

No-one would rather have a pick-up truck than a BMW or Jag except maybe a window cleaner.

I would, and do !,... wheres me bucket and chamois ? :o Edited by mikethevigoman

<br />This thread is so old it would fail a roadworthy test.<br /><br />The pick-ups you see in Thailand are not giants and there is very little difference in weight between them and a mid-size family saloon.<br />there are however half the cost and "twice" as dangerous.....<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Depends on if your'e doing the hitting or being hit , I think I'd rather be hit in a pick up than a car, more metal to fold up an take the impact and Thai drivers?????????????? say no more!!

yeah, yeah ,yeah...I'm sorry that is old hat and whereas I can't say anytinng about your FEELINGS, the truth is you are much safer in a sedan.

I really don't want to go through why again just google about a bit. Remember you are looking at the usual pickup sold/built here in Thailand.

Does Neeraram really need that economy sized box of Cornflakes? There's so much variety in terms of cereal out there and when you buy the big box just to save a few Baht, IMO you're missing out on the spice of life.

Discuss.

Edited by Heng

now you seem to have a problem with window cleaners !!

bmws, jags , benzs etc. are high maintenance vehicles , they cost a fortune to buy and run and the ownership experience is spoilt by the failure of these machines to match their reputations. any rattle or noise will have to be investigated at great expense , the constant worry about them being scratched and knocked when they are parked , and the complicated nature of their innards means that there are so many things that can and often do go wrong. and they can rarely, if ever, be used to even 50% of their full potential.

they need too much cosseting. its just not worth it.

its just a machine , another appliance.

i got tired of them and the snooty dealerships that supplied them and serviced them.

downgrading from those overated aspirational machines to a cheap second hand diesel vauxhall vectra was a liberating experience , and the money saved was put to much better use.

likewise the pick up i have here in thailand. it starts and it stops , its at home in town or in mud.

its classless and its the best vehicle i have ever owned.....and i would not change it for a benz or bmw unless 80% of my driving was on empty motorways.