Sentence Structure

DavidHouston

Sometimes I am puzzled by the syntax of a Thai written sentence which seems, at first blush, to be too complex. Take for example the following sentence:

อดีตสามารถเป็นอุทาหรณ์ให้กับสถานการณ์ที่เรากำลังต้องเผชิญอยู่ในสามจังหวัดชายแดนภาคใต้ได้เป็นอย่างดี

"The past can be a good model for the situation in which we find ourselves today with respect to the three Southern border provinces."

If the sentence were shortened and rearranged in the following manner, would the meaning still be the same?

อดีตสามารถเป็นอุทาหรณ์ที่ดีให้กับสถานการณ์ที่เรากำลังต้องเผชิญอยู่ในสามจังหวัดชายแดนภาคใต้

Thanks.

Edited by DavidHouston

I think your second sentence can be translated as follows:

"The past IS a good model for the situation we are being confronted with in the three Southern border provinces."

So, the meaning is more or less the same.

Edited by kriswillems

Sometimes I am puzzled by the syntax of a Thai written sentence which seems, at first blush, to be too complex. Take for example the following sentence:

อดีตสามารถเป็นอุทาหรณ์ให้กับสถานการณ์ที่เรากำลังต้องเผชิญอยู่ในสามจังหวัดชายแดนภาคใต้ได้เป็นอย่างดี

"The past can be a good model for the situation in which we find ourselves today with respect to the three Southern border provinces."

If the sentence were shortened and rearranged in the following manner, would the meaning still be the same?

อดีตสามารถเป็นอุทาหรณ์ที่ดีให้กับสถานการณ์ที่เรากำลังต้องเผชิญอยู่ในสามจังหวัดชายแดนภาคใต้

Thanks.

I am pretty sure that the chap who wrote this wouldn't mind, after all he has reduced จังหวัดชายแดนภาคใต้สามจังหวัด ! but it is only a newspaper I suppose. As for me if it looks like I will have to look a lot up I save time by going straight to the end 'อย่างดี' and get the flavour. The past can be a good model for the situation which we are faced with in the three southern border provinces. is English surely and I would avoid it at all costs.

What about ให้ ได้ ? you only have half of it, Seems to me it is สิ่งนี้ ให้ นี่ ได้ เป็นอย่างดี is yours สิ่งนี้ที่ดี ให้ นี่ ?

I am a bit crusty because of the rapidity that Thai is accomodating English and am afraid that there wont be any point in learning grammer soon.

Don't be surprised if I retract all this in face of a solid opposition.

editing! Seems to me that สามารถ suggests ได้ also but not sure.

Edited by tgeezer

I agree tgeezer,

I didn't see the word สามารถ.

There should be a ได้ at the end or you can just leave the สามารถ out.

Yes, it is an interesting verb; supposed to mean 'able to' but in spite of that always seems to be followed by 'can' ! and my Eng/Thai has unable as ไม้สามารถทำ ส.น. ได้

Lexitron has it as both an 'auxiliary verb' and a 'verb' I can't imagine how it could be a main verb, does anyone know?

I agree tgeezer,

I didn't see the word สามารถ.

There should be a ได้ at the end or you can just leave the สามารถ out.

Yes, it is an interesting verb; supposed to mean 'able to' but in spite of that always seems to be followed by 'can' ! and my Eng/Thai has unable as ไม้สามารถทำ ส.น. ได้

Lexitron has it as both an 'auxiliary verb' and a 'verb' I can't imagine how it could be a main verb, does anyone know?

"ก็ได้"

"ก็ได้"

I get it now ได้ in this case means อาจ which is future tense perhaps. ก็ได้ refers to something not done yet doesn't it? Today I found some examples สามารส used with ได้ ผู้รับสารสามารถโต้ตอบกันได้ and without สามารถแบ่งการรับสารลักษณะนี้ออกเป็น ๒ ประเภท ผู้รับสารต้องสามารถวิเคราะห์เจตนาของผู้ส่ง The first is instruction and the second two are explanation. Can anyone come up with some rule?

Thanks.

I'm a native Thai.

Both sentences have the 'same same' meaning and sound 'OK'

It can also be written as the following

เหตุการณ์ในอดีตสามารถเป็นอุทาหรณ์อย่างดีให้กับสถานการณ์ที่เรากำลังเผชิญอยู่ในสามจังหวัดชายแดนภาคใต้

เหตุการณ์ในอดีตเป็นบทเรียนอย่างดีให้กับสถานการณ์ที่เรากำลังเผชิญอยู่ในสามจังหวัดชายแดนภาคใต้

ปล มีคำพูดที่ใช้กันบ่อยๆ เอาไว้ปลอบใจคน "อดีตที่ผ่านมา ก็ให้มันผ่านไป" ประมาณว่า "Let go and Go on"

or "อดีตที่ผ่านมาหน่ะ ก็ให้มันผ่านไปนะ" same same meaning :o

สุดท้าย คนไทยจะคุ้นเคยกับการใช้ คำว่า "อดีต" พร้อมกับ "บทเรียน"

you can try "google" คำว่า "อดีต บทเรียน" ดูแล้วจะเห็นว่า มีเยอะมาก

อีกตัวอย่างที่ ผู้ใหญ่มักใช้พูดกับเด็กๆ หรือ ลูกหลาน บ่อยๆ ก็คือ

"อดีตที่ผ่านมา ก็ถือซะว่าเป็นบทเรียนนะ"

I think that syntax & collocations are the hardest part of learning any language.

I think that syntax & collocations are the hardest part of learning any language.

Very interesting and thanks for the effort, and the extra background.

อดีตสามารถเป็นอุทาหรณ์ให้กับสถานการณ์ได้เป็นอย่างดี

อดีตสามารถเป็นอุทาหรณ์อย่างดีให้กับสถานการณ์

อดีตสามารถเป็นอุทาหรณ์ที่ดีให้กับสถานการณ์

I know we all know what is meant, I just want to be sure that there is no significant difference. ได้เป็นอย่างดี is a popular closing phrase is that all?

To sum up the writer is just reiterating what everyone already knows; that it is a good thing to take lessons from the past.

And thanks for making me look up the spelling of ปล ปัจฉิมลิขิต written before you 'li ckit', the stamp!