Phuket Gazette

pagallim

As a recent resident in Phuket, over the previous 18 months or so, I've appreciated the reporting of local crime and incidents in the Phuket Gazette, primarily because it creates awareness, and caution when necessary. An example of this was the spate of motor cycle robberies that occured in the early hours of the mornings between Kata and Rawai. I was extremely surprised and disappointed at the recent decision of the Phuket Gazette editorial staff, that they will no longer report local crime (especially when it involves 'farang') because of the potential adverse reaction of international site viewers. How pathetic! To create the artificial environment of 'everything is cool here' when the locals know full well that it isn't. Phuket, like many provinces with a similar international mix, is a hot bed of gangsters, petty crime and extortion, which, especially in a shrinking tourist market, becomes more competitive the less the number of 'punters' there are. Local residents, especially farang, depend on an informative local press, rather than deal with the market place rumours and hearsay. The Phuket Gazette is now nothing more than an advertising 'rag', with the only real journalism being devoted to events such as the Kings Cup or Chinese New Year. Very sad.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is true, I find it very troubling that a supposed newspaper does not report ALL local happenings... :o

http://www.phuketgazette.net/dailynews/index.asp?Id=7010

For 'given a lesser weighting', read unless there is a photograph of a suspect(s) in custody, forget about any news on local crime. In fact, events are seemingly only reported after appearing either in the Nation or BKK Post!

I have stopped supporting the PG at all, no more buying the papper issue or visit their website, it has nothing to add to phuket living anymore.

They are being selective in their reporting and its only "suitable" news released in line with policies ordered down, just a bunch of "lapdogs" without a bark, yeop yeop.

Please, PG change management or just get over with it, go to sleep for ever!

MC

Edited by Master Chief

Its the same in Samui, HH and Pattaya. They all have local rags which when you read them turn out to be just advertising papers with stories mainly about their advertisers. I have yet to read a bad or mediocre food report from the Samui express and refuse to believe EVERY restaurant is perfection! Take them for what they are! They also tend to over price property and under report crime! :o

Clearly the consensus of opinion here is that all news should be reported. That, I thought, is what newspapers were supposed to do. Let's hope that the Gazette picks up on this and returns to some commonsense and, in particular, its purpose. (Of course, I won't be hanging by the thumbs - or any other part of my anatomy - waiting for things to change.)

Clearly the consensus of opinion here is that all news should be reported. That, I thought, is what newspapers were supposed to do. Let's hope that the Gazette picks up on this and returns to some commonsense and, in particular, its purpose. (Of course, I won't be hanging by the thumbs - or any other part of my anatomy - waiting for things to change.)

Money talks. If its major source of revenue is property advertisers, those advertise won`t want a paper that may effect property prices with stories that put off potential property buyers.

well its kind of your fault if you are reading it.

If you wanna know what's up, read some forums, watch fox news every couple days and listen to what old thai people with no job are talking about outside of obesity and food.

Phuket gazette is a waste of tree slaughtering, my highschool newspaper was more worthy then this piece of crap created ONLY to overprice shitty realestate

If you wanna know what's up, read some forums, watch fox news every couple days and listen to what old thai people with no job are talking about outside of obesity and food.

Phuket gazette is a waste of tree slaughtering, my highschool newspaper was more worthy then this piece of crap created ONLY to overprice shitty realestate

You are joking fair and balanced my arse

You are joking fair and balanced my arse

But it is good for a laugh! :o

Fox news Oh Dear!! you are american then :o

Fox news Oh Dear!! you are american then :o

Surely, not Canadian :D

Local news is the problem. If PG doesn't report the local news, it doesn't get reported at all. This policy can only beg the question 'Why', and possibly cause a more negative impact than it is intended to prevent. Sure, major stories will still be reported in the Bangkok papers, but what about all the local crime news - burglaries, robberies, assaults, etc - that people should be entitled to know about. This failure to report policy is akin to a form of censorship, and is ill-conceived and arrogant.

lol i didnt say that you should listen to opinions, just basic news imo.. read the rolling 24/7 news on the bottom
If you believe both the selection of the news and the wording etc. is not opinionated, you'd better think twice.

Yeah the Gazette has changed a lot ifn just a few weeks since Husted left.

Those sexist cartoons for one now alll over it, can't seem to depict any foreign men who are with Thai women that aren't ' "bargirl" types - like it some kind of stereotype that foreign men are only in Thailand for one reason..Jees

The Nation newspaper owns the PG.

Policy is made by them.

I was aware of the relationship - but I'm not too sure about The Nation declaring policy to PG on news of local interest only. I would have thought it is not all that likely, but - in terms of a narrow-thinking overall political perspective from a faceless executive in Bangkok - you may be correct. Who knows? In any case, it may (just may) be of some use if enough sufficiently interested people started bombarding PG with emails/letters to the editor complaining about this new censorship policy.

lol i didnt say that you should listen to opinions, just basic news imo.. read the rolling 24/7 news on the bottom
If you believe both the selection of the news and the wording etc. is not opinionated, you'd better think twice.

Yes of course, everytime i read the lettering and see ' 3 die in plane crash' i think to myself dam_n REPUBLICAN NEWS, HOW DARE YOU PUT REPUBLIC IDEAS IN MY CANADIAN HEAD

then 2mins later OBAMA TALKS ECONOMY, HERES THE HIGHLIGHT:, i go on a FURY

OMG

THEY SAID OBAMA TALKS ECONOMY, not obama saves economy dam_n REPUBLIC NEWSSHOW.

seriously this bullshit that people have against american news being biased is a total nutjob. No matter what a tv station says, the news delivered is always the same and imo only people with iq's under 70 are affected by the choice of words, ESPECIALLY when the channel is on mute.

Anyways back on topic, u guys just need to get a gf with a mom that knows when the neighbor 10blocks away cleans his toilet.. don't need newspapers

Yes of course, everytime i read the lettering and see ' 3 die in plane crash' i think to myself dam_n REPUBLICAN NEWS, HOW DARE YOU PUT REPUBLIC IDEAS IN MY CANADIAN HEAD

OMG

I have no idea what you are talking about, or even what point you are trying to make .... :o

OMG

I have no idea what you are talking about, or even what point you are trying to make .... :o

trying to sound as crazy as this guy saying that reading the rolling news only gives you falsified views on the news, when obviously all it gives you is 6 through 10 neutral words to describe the news.

seriously this bullshit that people have against american news being biased is a total nutjob.

Canadianmonkey you completely lost me with this rant. You contradict yourself in a couple of different ways but lets certainly be clear, the news networks are owned by large powerful companies (i.e. Time Warner) that definitely have interest in politics therefore will have their agenda.

Maybe that's what the Phuket Gazette lacks..........

I'll just never forget the time George the II was up for re-election. All the network news shows had the "Terror Alert". This was a bar that was on the screen that would climb and decrease as the "threat of terror" either climbed or decreased. The Republican party was the only party that could keep America safe (although they were in office during 9/11, when not out golfing) and this "terror alert" would climb, climb, climb when there was any type of Democratic news, and would decrease when George the II was on the screen.

So Canadianmonket, I could not get what you were trying to say in your rant, but lets be perfectly clear. Media in the U.S. is as big a propaganda machine as there is in the world and the Rupert Murdochs will be sure that their political interests are put forth on the networks they own.

I have heard, thru a reputable source, that the PG is told what it is allowed to report and what it is not.

If there are 10 murders in a week, for example, they were allowed to print aprox 2 of them. (and those 2 were chosen by political powers)

So, no perhaps those 2 have been reduced to zero.

I still would trust the PG over Fox news though. I lost my faith in them as a news source after their tsunami coverage which was so far from the truth.

I still would trust the PG over Fox news though. I lost my faith in them as a news source after their tsunami coverage which was so far from the truth.

The BBC and CNN were just as bad when reporting the Tsunami, they all just wanted to find the worst possible scene to report from, and made video cuts to other countries when reporting from Phuket. The all painted a very inaccurate picture of conditions on Phuket Island. I actually spoke face-to-face with reporters from Fox & BBC about their hourly live reports. Pointed out major errors, but they all just thought they were doing a grand job of helping Phuket get aid money, when in fact they were killing the tourist industry.

Have to admit I do watch Fox as I find BBC & CNN far too insipid these past few years, compared with Fox's fire & brimstone style. You just need to take Fox reporting with a large pinch of salt, use a bit of common sense, and filter out the far right agenda. I find Fox very entertaining, BBC & CNN very dull. You have to laugh at the 'no spin zone' ... I find myself so dizzy with the spinning ... :o