Bnh Hospital

Who, me ?

Hi there

6 years ago, I had 3 back operations (laminectomy L5-S1) within 5 month, done at the Bangkok Hospital

A few weeks ago, I faced some sharp pain in the right thigh, calf, followed by numbness. Medication did not help much, and I met a couple of doctors for advice.

I was diagnosed a new disc rupture at the same level L5-S1, and all advices were for a surgery . I also asked a good friend of mine in France, who is a doctor, to give his opinion. He confirmed.

I met Dr Eakpatipan at the BNH Hospital (Spine Clinic), who made a full examination, and checked MRI. He explained in details hid diagnostic, and explained pros and cons of various solutions. He then recommended a procedure. I decided to admit at the BNH to have this operation done. I went for pre-op check up on Friday 23 January, and admit at the hospital on Monday 26. Operation was done in the evening (19:30). Decompression, laminectomy, fixation with Titanium rods, etc.....Less than 3 hours. A short stay in recovery room (2 hours), back in my room at 01:00, where I was served a regular dinner (at my request). Bed rest of course, and at 15:00 Tuesday 27, I had an X-Ray, to check if all is OK. Dr Eakpatipan supervised the X-Ray making, and immediately allowed me to sit , then to walk a few steps. Then, back in my room.

I met every day the cardiologist, the anesthesiologist, and of course Dr Eakpatipan (twice a day). Every visit was a real one, with each Doctor spending time, asking questions, and making examination. Nurses were very often in my room, making sure that I was fine, and that all my needs were covered. My wife was taken care same as if she were a patient. I have been discharged Saturday 31 afternoon, after a full assessment from Dr Eakpatipan, and cardiologist.

I can only warmly recommend the BNH Hospital , and Dr Eakpatipan to anyone experiencing spine troubles. During my time there, I have been taken care like a patient, but also like a friend. The quality of the treatment is in my opinion outstanding (I can compare with my 3 stays at the Bangkok Hospital). I have never felt any discomfort, even right after the operation, during wake up process. All was smooth.

The room (Regent, standard) was comfortable, and the food very good, with large choice of Thai or Western menu.

I never had to be bothered with administrative stuff, and all contact with my insurance company were managed by the cashier department. By the way, I have Goodhealth coverage, and they did not make any trouble to cover this operation, even if I had previous similar troubles in the past. They cover any pre=existing condition after two years.

I just wanted to share my experience, if it can help anyone to make a decision.

Cheers all

WM

• 2 weeks later...

Although it's only a minor part of your experience, I would like to also commend the BNH cashier department for interfacing with the insurance companies.

After a minor outpatient procedure, a BNH cashier interceded on my behalf after the insurance company refused to pay -- the cashier asked me to wait and had my doctor re-itemize my bill so that it was covered fully by my insurance company.

In comparison, at Bangkok Hospital-Pattaya -- a BNH-affiliated hospital -- I had the same outpatient procedure performed and the cashier bluntly informed me "Insurance no cover. You pay now." I asked him/her (a khatooey) if the bill could be re-itemized/re-classified to have insurance cover it. After a glare and a big sigh, I was told to wait, and voila, insurance covered the entire amount.

Oh, and congratulations on a successful surgery!

I did not have to be involved with cashier department, other than to receive the bill (paid by the insurance company), and to clear the 500 Baht for a wireless internet connexion. But with them also, all was smooth, clear, and very professional.

BTW, my recovery is going well, and I have resumed work already I drive short distances, and live almost normally. I still need to be very careful and to rest as much as possible of course, but I am very happy with the results of the operation. I had a check up last sunday 8th, and next is scheduled for March 1st

Once again, I warmly recommend the BNH, and especially the spine center (Dr Eakpatipan)