My Thai Family In Bangkok. More & More Unfriendly

Livinginexile

I have a Thai wife and a three year old son.

We have just returned from 6 weeks in Thailand mostly spent in Bangkok in the Sukumvit area.

It's been a while since we have spent much time in Bkk and usually the people there are allways smiling and stoping to talk to my son, taking pictures of him on the BTS, girls stopping on the street to tell him how narak he is...etc etc.

But this time there was very little of that friendly attitude. In fact my wife and I experienced quite an agressive attitude from a LOT of people. When walking down a street, most office type people would give us discusted looks. I even had a go at these two on the BTS one day that were giving my son the fithiest look!! It even got to a point at one stage were I got quite paranoid pushing a stroller down the street.

It's all since this yellow shirt rubbish happened. I don't know if there is a connection but we definately felt a whole lot of resentment whilst we were there. Up country we experienced only the usual friendlyness that we are used too.

Has anyone else felt a shift in Bkk'ites attitude to farang/thai families? It really was quite unsettling, especially in shopping centres.

Am I getting paranoid in my old age? :o

I don't live in BKK but yes, I visit fairly often and I believe I have noticed some shift in the attitude towards foreigners there.

I think it's simply because people (both Thai and others) are becoming more and more pressed about financial security.

I feel it's inevitable that some resentment may arise from certain people who have, in the past, largely relied on "the kindness of strangers". I saw it at the airport far more than on the streets. I don't know why. I asked a number of airport employees where the nearest BKK/Siam bank was within the airport and nobody knew. One answered agressively that I should go to the 3rd/4th floor. (The others in the group, to their credit, looked embarrassed.) There was no BKK/Siam bank on that floor, but there was one metres from the lift at which I asked the guys. It was visible on the way down :o.

One taxi driver vented about the "taxi mafia" at the airport. He was scrupulous in his use of the meter and in helping me with my suitcase. He was from Chiang Mai. I let him keep the (small) change from the fare.

Old ladies/men who sit from pre-dawn until midnight with nothing but a small blanket of folded paper planes for sale leave hurt but much admiration in the heart. So do the younger folk with 30 drinks or hair ornaments. They never clamour. I try to subtly help.

Edited by WaiWai

Yes, there is a change in the attitutde of people, especially in Bangkok. Bangkok, by and large, isn't a particularly friendly place (for Thailand). The segment which is friendlier is the lower class, the vendors, waiters, waitresses, etc. The upper echeleons have never been particularly friendly.

The political instability brought about a much greater level of deviseness and paranoia in the society. The overall affect is much less trust of others in the population--you don't know if whom you are talking to is red or yellow. Not as much sanook and not as much sabai. Add to that the economic situation and you have some factors leading to the myth of LOS.

good point about the yellow/red shirt thing.any agro against farang might be to do with the unemployment getting worse and downturn in tourist numbers with those that are here spending less or appearing to be more "cheap charlie",also its probably a big city thing too.

On Samui ive noticed a growing frustration regarding money cos of the fewer tourists here this year,many of the girls going back to the farm or trying bangkok for work.

I've not noticed any differences in attitudes. People may be experiencing problems financially and economically which can have an effect on attitudes but I certainly haven't come across any noticeable increase in anti-farang feeling in the population at large. I know both yellow and red supporters and none of them are anti-farang at all.

I have a Thai wife and a three year old son.

We have just returned from 6 weeks in Thailand mostly spent in Bangkok in the Sukumvit area.

It's been a while since we have spent much time in Bkk and usually the people there are allways smiling and stoping to talk to my son, taking pictures of him on the BTS, girls stopping on the street to tell him how narak he is...etc etc.

But this time there was very little of that friendly attitude. In fact my wife and I experienced quite an agressive attitude from a LOT of people. When walking down a street, most office type people would give us discusted looks. I even had a go at these two on the BTS one day that were giving my son the fithiest look!! It even got to a point at one stage were I got quite paranoid pushing a stroller down the street.

It's all since this yellow shirt rubbish happened. I don't know if there is a connection but we definately felt a whole lot of resentment whilst we were there. Up country we experienced only the usual friendlyness that we are used too.

Has anyone else felt a shift in Bkk'ites attitude to farang/thai families? It really was quite unsettling, especially in shopping centres.

Am I getting paranoid in my old age? :o

I assume you speak the language? Why don't you ask them next time you see someone give your son a dirty look,why?I cannot see any real reason for this,unless it is jealousy?Farang,Thai wife, beautiful kid...Lots of Thai people struggling,maybe feel you have the good life?

crikey tritex where did you dig that up from!

:D:D I look deep,deep DEEP into the forum......Nah,i always check to see a little about the op,but i remember that one because it was pretty confrontational,but in all fairness,he was drunk. :D So we have to forgive him! :o

usually the people there are allways smiling and stoping to talk to my son, taking pictures of him on the BTS, girls stopping on the street to tell him how narak he is...etc etc.

But this time there was very little of that friendly attitude. In fact my wife and I experienced quite an agressive attitude from a LOT of people. When walking down a street, most office type people would give us discusted looks.

smile first. If you are uneasy and not confident people won't be plaesant to you or will just ignore you.

I was in bangkok all through the airports occupations and later during xmas/new year - I haven't exoerienced any negative attitude, quite opposite - people were taking pity on me, that my holidays are spoilt and were timid that thailand lost it's face.

:D:D I look deep,deep DEEP into the forum......Nah,i always check to see a little about the op,but i remember that one because it was pretty confrontational,but in all fairness,he was drunk. :D So we have to forgive him! :o

a researcher on TV,what next!happy australia day.

a researcher on TV,what next!happy australia day.

To late,i have already taken the Aussie flag off the car...Didn't see anyone else in Sawan with one,so thought maybe it was time to pull my head in...More Brits here i think... :D LOL

well if you'Re not super old or fat... maybe it was just jealousy.. if you clearly look like you are taking advantage of a young uneducated issan girl, well then you know why. Thais are just starting to hate the abuse of the standard old and fat farang

or who knows, maybe u had a booger all day an inch away from falling hehe

Be careful what you dig up because a moderator might miss-read it the wrong way and "accidently" give you the warning for flaming instead. :D

I'm not from Bangkok and try to stay clear of the place. But Big Cities are not renown for their friendliness, Unless your in an obvious Tourist Area that is. Even here in the Village one day everyone smiles the next day they avoid eye contact. My Paranoia or just the people I meet having a bad day ? . probably a bit of both. Who realy knows, You never know what anyone is really thinking.

Also, IF the current Economic Turmoil is having an effect then some people will start to blame foreigners , Some not all.

I suspect some of the current 'Economic Migrants' to the UK will also be having more of these sort of days also.

Be careful what you dig up because a moderator might miss-read it the wrong way and "accidently" give you the warning for flaming instead. :D

It seems strange that the post in question was never censored or removed from that discussion,it's only 2 weeks ago.

It seems strange that the post in question was never censored or removed from that discussion,it's only 2 weeks ago.

If it is bothering you, report it and it will be given the appropriate attention, or let sleeping dogs lie where they are and lets get back on the topic at hand. :o

Yes you are right trite, I was drunk when I wrote that post and what I wrote was uncalled for.

I was quite suprised it wasn't removed too.

Apologies to all I offended.

I would just like to add...

Whenever I was out by myself it was the normal Thai smiles and friendlyness.

It was only when I was out and about with my family.

So I guess my question is to other Thai/Farang partners with children in Bkk.

I'm starting to worry it was all in my head now. :o

:P:wai: I look deep,deep DEEP into the forum......Nah,i always check to see a little about the op,but i remember that one because it was pretty confrontational,but in all fairness,he was drunk. :D So we have to forgive him! :D

Yes you are right trite, I was drunk when I wrote that post and what I wrote was uncalled for.

I was quite suprised it wasn't removed too.

Apologies to all I offended.

Nah,no apologies needed mate,who hasn't been wasted and said silly things? :o Besides, i think i will get slapped by soundman if i'm not careful...Lol.But seriously,why do you think that people are being rude to you?I mean,in Thailand?Usually the thais love kids,and like farangs.In China it is very different,no friendliness at all,but i normally find Thais cheery.Maybe there is a change recently in attitude?Poor/rich comparisons? :D My housekeeper's husband works in Bkk,but she lives in Sawan.She does not see her husband for up to 6 months at a time,i couldn't imagine him feeling or looking happy..One of my best friends lost her job after the pad closure of the airport,and i guess there will be a lot of people struggling,so maybe not much for them to smile about?

I had not noticed any difference when with/without the Thai wife,but then again,i really wasn't paying that much attention.Only to BKK for shopping at MBK!

Mate, it only seemed to be when I was out with my wife and son!

When I was out on my own...no problem.

When I was out with just my wife when my son was in day care...no problem (occasional dirty looks)

When the three of us out together, thats when you really notice the dirty looks, they seem to just drill us with their eyes.

It's more the Mrs they glare at. looking from her to our son and back again, I never experienced this about 12 mths ago in Bkk.

I had a bad head on for about the first week in Bkk but then I was pretty chilled out.

And really...I'm not an agressive person and usually wear a smile when we are out.

Nor am I fat or old. (well, not too old anyway)

Oh and I am exceptionally good looking too. :o

I'm eager to hear back from others with children in Bkk.

This post fascinated me...and disturbed me as well. There almost had to be a catalyst for these very atypical reactions to occur among typical Thai denizens. Is there anything 'different' or striking (in an unattractive way) about your manner of dress or appearance as well as that of your wife? Was your child making a racket and not being controlled? Where you wearing appropriate clothing in that setting? I visit BKK periodically on business and pleasure, and have never observed this. Some people are cooler than others, and I take issue with the poster who asked if you were either fat or old. I know a lot of fat, or old, or fat and old farangs who take pains to dress up and look and act decent. Look and act like a slob and you will get what you deserve amongst the Thai people. We see all kinds of 'weird farangs' up here in CM. The one that tops the 'don't do it' list is the visitor who comes here and strolls around the city--one littered with temples everywhere--wearing next to nothing--today we saw a 40-ish guy, looking every inch like a bum from the backpacker scene, wearing shorts, sandals, tons of ugly tattoos and no shirt...out in broad daylight at least 600 miles from the nearest beach! This is disrespectful to most Thais and immediately earns their scorn. My (Thai) wife's family and close friends are appalled at how the vast majority of foreign tourists dress when they come to the Kingdom, and it is from these unsavory visages that they begin to suspect that everybody back in the West dresses and acts likewise.

I have never seen the kind of reaction you mention from Thai people--unless you did something to provoke them first. Very interesting, and very disappointing if true and unqualified.

Edited by Fore Man