Business Class Or Soho Router Recommendations

Veazer

I'm looking to upgrade a local office to something that can handle traffic better than the old dlink modem/router combo they have in place. They have a 4MB connection and multiple VPN users. The US office has told them that having multiple VPN users on a home router is likely to cause many problems, and indeed it seems to. They report that as soon as two VPN sessions are established that things start slowing down.

Any recommendation for a decent but not overpriced router (with B/G or B/G/N wifi) that is well suited to this task?

I've considered getting a suitable linksys WRT54G and running custom firmware, but it don't know if that's going to get around the VPN problem.

Any recommendation are appreciated.

edit: 10-20 users typical, all but a handful on wireless

Edited by Veazer

May you should think to get an 2. hand Cisco for to get the most out of your connection. About more info's on that I recommend you contact the member Prasert becaus he has a lot knowledge about that staff and can give the best advice you can get.

Cheers.

May you should think to get an 2. hand Cisco for to get the most out of your connection. About more info's on that I recommend you contact the member Prasert becaus he has a lot knowledge about that staff and can give the best advice you can get.

Cheers.

Yeah, i think getting a nice cisco is probably a good idea, but i'm not sure if they'll go for something that expensive. Also, they depend far too much on wifi so I'm trying to get them thinking about 802.11n. 802.11g is fine for general stuff but backup up big .pst files and such is too slow. There's probably not too much 2nd hand 802.11n cisco gear going around.

I was trying to remember which member was knowledgeable about this but now that you mention Prasert it sounds correct...

I've been checking out the specialized VPN versions of DD-WRT firmware for the Linksys WRT-54G series, seems pretty impressive considering the cost, still no 802.11n

Thanks for your input.

Actually there are a number of good SOHO products... WatchGuard, SonicWall and Juniper to mention only three. All of them better than consumer grade Linksys, D-Link etc. and likely all less than most Cisco. Also all are available second hand, same as Cisco.

You 'might' have a little more difficult time finding widespread 'N' support in the commercial grade systems since 'N' still is draft, even though it is widely used.

are they connecting to a remote VPN server or running the server inside their network ?

I use a 54GL at home here with tomato +openVPN mod running a server and I also run 3 concurrent TAP32 interfaces on my laptop with VPN tunnels connecting me to 3 diff VPN servers ( 54gl , tomato+openVPN mod ) outside Thailand and do not have a problem.

being able to tune and tweak the QoS also can make a large difference to the speed.