Problems With Maxnet ?

Dario

Sorry, I meant to write U/S in the title for upload speed.

A few months ago I asked Maxnet to connect Internet Premier 2MB package to my home and I was asked to pay 9,750 Baht to get a cable which apparently did not exist in my soi. After being connected I had on average 1,750 MB down and 845KB up.

I asked them at the time if I would have tyo share my cable (for which I paid nearly 10K) with other customers in the future and I was told: NO.

I just returned from a 4 day absence in Bangkok and felt that my speed had slowed down. At some times this morning I experienced 700KB down and 100KB up. I own several websites and need a good upload speed.

Maxnet this late afternoon sent 2 young boys to my home who IMHM didn't understand much. They somehow juggled that during their visit I obtained 700-800 KB up again but once they left and I checked again, the upload speed is now again at about 130 KB.

They also said that they are sure that I have to share my line definitely with others and that is the reason for the drop.

I feel pretty much duped by this company and feel that I am used to pay for their infrastructure whereas in fact they have to pay. Thumbs down for TT&T Maxnet!

Any observations from other Maxnet users who had to pay such an amount for their cable and later saw a drop in perfor mance???

Edited by Dario

I can't comment specifically on Maxnet, since I have no experience with them. (I'm with C.A.T.) However, I have never heard of anyone getting exclusive access to a cable with any company.

When I signed up with C.A.T., I was one of the first in my area (near Wat Suttawat, east end of Nernplubwarn) to do so. They had to string cable to a post near my house, and link that cable to the telephone line that was already in place. (I do not have a land line phone connection.) They didn't charge me for the cable from their closest line to that post. They told me that my speed might go down as more people were added. That has happened, although not to a significant degree. I was still able to get streaming video from the USA of NFL games, all the way through the Super Bowl. Speed does go down during peak hours of late morning through late afternoon. But it's acceptable during other hours on most days.

I can't comment specifically on Maxnet, since I have no experience with them. (I'm with C.A.T.) However, I have never heard of anyone getting exclusive access to a cable with any company.

When I signed up with C.A.T., I was one of the first in my area (near Wat Suttawat, east end of Nernplubwarn) to do so. They had to string cable to a post near my house, and link that cable to the telephone line that was already in place. (I do not have a land line phone connection.) They didn't charge me for the cable from their closest line to that post. They told me that my speed might go down as more people were added. That has happened, although not to a significant degree. I was still able to get streaming video from the USA of NFL games, all the way through the Super Bowl. Speed does go down during peak hours of late morning through late afternoon. But it's acceptable during other hours on most days.

There's a difference here: I paid 10K to get connected and was told I wouldn't have to share my cable with others. You didn't pay anything to get connected and I would assume it as normal that others get connected to the same string as yours. You still got the 10Ks, I don't and am treated the same way as you.

100 KB up whereas I am promised to get 1MB ist just not fair, don't you think so?

See the difference now?

There's a difference here: I paid 10K to get connected and was told I wouldn't have to share my cable with others. You didn't pay anything to get connected and I would assume it as normal that others get connected to the same string as yours. You still got the 10Ks, I don't and am treated the same way as you.

100 KB up whereas I am promised to get 1MB ist just not fair, don't you think so?

See the difference now?

I understand your feelings, Dario. However, may I ask how long you've lived in Thailand? Anything you are told verbally, and much of what you may even get in writing, is meaningless here. You get what you get. The numbers that are published/promissed by all Thai internet providers are always much higher than what users experience. That's just the way it is.

As for your promise of exclusive access to the cable you paid for, that comes under that "verbal" issue I noted. My guess is that the cable is now, and will continue to be, shared with other users. You will get no satisfaction from TT&T on that.

Sorry, I meant to write U/S in the title for upload speed.

A few months ago I asked Maxnet to connect Internet Premier 2MB package to my home and I was asked to pay 9,750 Baht to get a cable which apparently did not exist in my soi. After being connected I had on average 1,750 MB down and 845KB up.

I asked them at the time if I would have tyo share my cable (for which I paid nearly 10K) with other customers in the future and I was told: NO.

I just returned from a 4 day absence in Bangkok and felt that my speed had slowed down. At some times this morning I experienced 700KB down and 100KB up. I own several websites and need a good upload speed.

Maxnet this late afternoon sent 2 young boys to my home who IMHM didn't understand much. They somehow juggled that during their visit I obtained 700-800 KB up again but once they left and I checked again, the upload speed is now again at about 130 KB.

They also said that they are sure that I have to share my line definitely with others and that is the reason for the drop.

I feel pretty much duped by this company and feel that I am used to pay for their infrastructure whereas in fact they have to pay. Thumbs down for TT&T Maxnet!

Any observations from other Maxnet users who had to pay such an amount for their cable and later saw a drop in perfor mance???

I have a basic "Indy" package for 1000 per month which is rated as max 4Mb down/512kb up. I hardly ever get as low as 100kb up even on my cheap package so there may be something wrong with your connection...expecially considering the technicians "juggled" with your line and got a temporary improvement.

What speeds do you get if you test at the TT&T speed testing site? They cannot guarantee an upload speed to offshore servers...no one can.

Dario, it seems you have some misconceptions on how internet and specifically ADSL works (along with the local technicians being unable to explain!).

Your phone line is not shared with anyone. It never is with ADSL, even when you just pay the standard 3000 Baht hook-up fee.

You have simply paid extra because of the distance involved in connecting you to the nearest distribution/main cable point!

However, what IS shared is your internet access. To put it simply, you have your own dedicated line to the main telephone exchange (DSLAM), but there they will have one 2mbps feed for every 10 Maxnet Premier customers.

For the Maxnet Indy customers there would be 40 customers hooked up to one main 2 Mbps feed!

To get a dedicated line is not more expensive in installation, but is much more expensive in monthly fees!

For example, the MAXNET BIZ package, is still shared with 4 other customers (although some smart routing will ensure you pretty much 90% of rated speed 24/7), but this connection costs 5900 Baht/month (+vat).

Although I must agree that Maxnet Premier has slowed down over the past few days. They might some routing problems or such. Nothing to do though with your "dedicated" phoneline though!

Thanks for that, Monty. I, too, had some misconceptions of how it all comes together.

Am I correct, then, in assuming that the claim of "fiber optic cable" also applies ONLY to the main cable? I have assumed this because I know that the cable from the nearby post to my house is common telephone cable. So, clearly, the entire route is NOT fiber optic. Are the lines they string from the main to, in my case, a post, fiber optic; or also just common phone cable?

Thanks for that, Monty. I, too, had some misconceptions of how it all comes together.

Am I correct, then, in assuming that the claim of "fiber optic cable" also applies ONLY to the main cable? I have assumed this because I know that the cable from the nearby post to my house is common telephone cable. So, clearly, the entire route is NOT fiber optic. Are the lines they string from the main to, in my case, a post, fiber optic; or also just common phone cable?

Never looked closely at CAT's installations, but generally all their distribution points are being fed (internet wise) by fiber cable.

TT&T for example has those micro DSLAM's, which they install on electricity poles. Main phone cable goes in, and main phone cable comes out again. And a third cable (fiber) goes in to feed that micro DSLAM with internet.

So your phone signal still travels to you all the way from the main phone exchange over conventional copper wire, but the internet access (ADSL) gets injected onto the phone cable at that micro DSLAM, much closer to your home. This way they solve the problem of the limited distance ADSL can travel!

So they use a hybrid system, phone is conventional, internet is brought somewhere relatively close to your home over a fiber optic cable to then get injected onto the conventional cabling.

As opposed to our fully fiber networks we have in the West. There a single fiber cable enters your house, into a little device which extracts whatever signals are on the fiber cable so you can use them.

In Belgium that single cable carries Cable Television, phone signal and internet. The little box has 3 exits, 1 coax to your TV, One standar phone connector to hook up a phone, and 1 LAN connector to hook up your PC!

Dario, it seems you have some misconceptions on how internet and specifically ADSL works (along with the local technicians being unable to explain!).

Your phone line is not shared with anyone. It never is with ADSL, even when you just pay the standard 3000 Baht hook-up fee.

You have simply paid extra because of the distance involved in connecting you to the nearest distribution/main cable point!

However, what IS shared is your internet access. To put it simply, you have your own dedicated line to the main telephone exchange (DSLAM), but there they will have one 2mbps feed for every 10 Maxnet Premier customers.

For the Maxnet Indy customers there would be 40 customers hooked up to one main 2 Mbps feed!

To get a dedicated line is not more expensive in installation, but is much more expensive in monthly fees!

For example, the MAXNET BIZ package, is still shared with 4 other customers (although some smart routing will ensure you pretty much 90% of rated speed 24/7), but this connection costs 5900 Baht/month (+vat).

Although I must agree that Maxnet Premier has slowed down over the past few days. They might some routing problems or such. Nothing to do though with your "dedicated" phoneline though!

Thanks a lot, Monty. I really didn't know all that but thanks to you, I now do. Now that all makes sense to me. By the way, I cannot really complain much about Maxnet, there are less "glitches" as I have fore example in my other home in Don Muang with True. I truly found your answer very helpful and of course, very informative!

Good flow of communication is everything ...

Thanks a lot, Monty. I really didn't know all that but thanks to you, I now do. Now that all makes sense to me. By the way, I cannot really complain much about Maxnet, there are less "glitches" as I have fore example in my other home in Don Muang with True. I truly found your answer very helpful and of course, very informative!

I have another question, Monty: I got my connection without using a telephone line, although, I think there is a number marked on the pole where the little box is from TT&T which then goes over to my house. We asked the question to the 2 guys from TT&T: how much would now a phone connection cost, since we would like to connect a fax machine? They said, they don't know, they only know about Internet. Do you have an idea? My wife tried to call 1103 but didn't get anyone who could answer.

Edited by Dario

I have another question, Monty: I got my connection without using a telephone line, although, I think there is a number marked on the pole where the little box is from TT&T which then goes over to my house. We asked the question to the 2 guys from TT&T: how much would now a phone connection cost, since we would like to connect a fax machine? They said, they don't know, they only know about Internet. Do you have an idea? My wife tried to call 1103 but didn't get anyone who could answer.

That's a strange one, I was of the impression one could not get Maxnet unless subscribed to a TT&T phone number.

Have you tried to plug the cable now going to your modem into a phone? Should be exactly the same connector.

My idea it should work, call to a mobile and your number will show up on the screen.

CAT is different, they indeed offer ADSL of plain phonelines without having a phone service!

That's a strange one, I was of the impression one could not get Maxnet unless subscribed to a TT&T phone number.

Have you tried to plug the cable now going to your modem into a phone? Should be exactly the same connector.

My idea it should work, call to a mobile and your number will show up on the screen.

CAT is different, they indeed offer ADSL of plain phonelines without having a phone service!

It is true Monty, we got the ADSL from Maxnet without subscribing to a phone line. Now, I will have to go and buy a phone, cuz all my phones are in my home in Bangkok. I will uypdate you on this.

It is true Monty, we got the ADSL from Maxnet without subscribing to a phone line. Now, I will have to go and buy a phone, cuz all my phones are in my home in Bangkok. I will uypdate you on this.

You don't need a phone for ADSL. Just hook up the line to your modem.

You don't need a phone for ADSL. Just hook up the line to your modem.

He already has the ADSL up and running, he was wondering if he could use the line for phone calls as well!

Don't forget to put a filter on the phone if you want to continur to get ADSL.

A broken filter can cause all sorts of greif and none will stop the ADSL from working. It is an inline filter between the phone and the wall in its simplest form, or you can split you incoming cable and have a filter on the telephony (fax) side and no filter on the internet side.