Is My Uk Pension In Jeopardy Living In Phuket?

Syl

I've just written a cheque to Revenue and Customs (the folks that manage NI contributions and Pensions) for £2,400 and that covers my NI payments from 1996 to 2003 and brings my years of entitlement up from 17 to 24 - over the next six years I will almost certainly back pay the remaining years. At around £335 per year it is excellent value for money that will pay back very quickly, provided I live that long of course!

Just done the same thing. I do think it's worth it, but only just. When i come to retirement it will have increased to the age of 67 (for men). Maybe i'll change my feeling as i get older, but right now that sounds like a pretty ripe old age - just 3 years off hitting seventy - and let's face it, not many of us will survive too far into our seventies. How many years will we get the benefit of the govt pension?

Now a pension that started at around the age of 60 - that would be worth having.

Is My UK Pension In Jeopardy Living In Phuket?

I am a young, uneducated 48 year old, who was informed by a long term resident 71 year old expat, that staying in Phuket/ Thailand/ LOG, for more then two years would ruin my government UK pension on retirement.

Searching the Internet has drawn a blank. I know this thread might not seem to be about Phuket, but I was told about this in Phuket!!!

So before I start worrying about it too much and lose even more hair, I thought I would ask this forum first ?

Syl.

Why do you worry as in another topic your said...

"I would say that my real concerns regarding my families safety is the ignorance of other people. This is why my family is in the UK nice and safe. I plan to sale up in Phuket when the market is right.

Syl"

• 3 weeks later...
Is My UK Pension In Jeopardy Living In Phuket?

I am a young, uneducated 48 year old, who was informed by a long term resident 71 year old expat, that staying in Phuket/ Thailand/ LOG, for more then two years would ruin my government UK pension on retirement.

Searching the Internet has drawn a blank. I know this thread might not seem to be about Phuket, but I was told about this in Phuket!!!

So before I start worrying about it too much and lose even more hair, I thought I would ask this forum first ?

Syl.

Your pension is not in jeopardy.

If its a private pension then you will get paid according to the rules you signed up to..provided Gordon Brown has not screwed it like many others ....so you get nothing at all.

In respect of State Pension...New rules were passed and implemented by parliament July 08

You qualify for a Full State Pension..provided you have paid 30 years NHS contributions,...If you have you do not need to pay more.

You only continue to pay if you are still employed.Self employed can naturally avoid this without penalty,if you work for an employer..you cannot.

If you declare yourself a NON-DOMICILE..or Tax Exile..then you will have your State Pension frozen at the current payment rate indeifinately....meaning no cost of living rises.You will lose access to Free GP and NHS benefits...unless of course you lie through your teeth..lose all your documents...Claim Asylum...then you get all benefits for free.

Hope apart from my cynicism..that i see as realism is of help

Good Luck

In respect of State Pension...New rules were passed and implemented by parliament July 08

You qualify for a Full State Pension..provided you have paid 30 years NHS contributions,...If you have you do not need to pay more.

Again miss-information! please see my post above, the 30 year rule does not come into force until 6th April 2010, anyone reaching 65 prior to that date needs to qualify under the old rules (44 years)