Couple Of Queries

sceadugenga

My request would be please don't.

Until recently I only had a slow link and large images were a real pain.

With the thumbnail members have the choice to download the full image if they want to.

With large images we loose that choice.

For the caption, just type in the name you want, on the line after the image.

My request would be please don't.

Until recently I only had a slow link and large images were a real pain.

With the thumbnail members have the choice to download the full image if they want to.

With large images we loose that choice.

For the caption, just type in the name you want, on the line after the image.

Thankyou! At last you have made a comment about this!

I made this post about 3 years ago and since the size of photos as got bigger and BIGGER!

post 2006-06-01 14:32:30

Post #29

Group: Members

Member No.: 13,984

I've just found this thread and read the posts but don't know if anything has been resolved about posting pix. I'm in the same opinion as Thomas Merton ie. use the add attachment facility which puts a thumbnail on display which can be opened up by clicking. As I'm on dial-up and I would think many more in Thailand are it would make life so much easier. When I clck on a thread that has pix. that open up straight away I have to wait a long time to read entire thread. If I check back later to same thread, I've got the same problem waiting for pix. I've already viewed. Whereas if only thumbnails are displayed I can choose which ones I want to enlarge and if I've seen them already I don't have to view them again. Hope you understand my post. Could we not have a limit to the size of pix. posted ( say max 600/700 wide, 150kb ) Sorry if already limit I'm not aware of.

BTW does the use of ImageShack Flickr etc. just put a link on the page? If so this is OK for larger pix.

Just fed up waiting for big pix. to open without any control. huh.gif huh.gif

I'm sure that if only thumbnails or low definition photos were posted more people could get interested in viewing them.

For those that want to show full size they have the use of the services of "Flicker" etc'

i almost always resize any thumbnails i post to just a couple of hundred kb's max.. similarly, any flickr linked stuff has usually had the same treatment.. if you're unable to load these up in less than a few seconds, then wow you have the lousiest connection known to man..

the problem arises when people upload images straight out of their cameras without touching them.. files usually in excess 0f 1-2Mb. Then your dial up connection will struggle...

:o

One photo of approx. 150 - 200 kb is not too much trouble for dial-up but when someone uploads 4, 5, 6 or more on the same page it starts to struggle. Someone else may add more photos to the same thread later and you've got even more pics. trying to download at the same time. Using thumbnails makes sense for everybody!

Oh and BTW. I probably do have the lousiest connection known to man at least in Thailand anyway!!

Edited by monsieurhappy

i almost always resize any thumbnails i post to just a couple of hundred kb's max.. similarly, any flickr linked stuff has usually had the same treatment..

the problem arises when people upload images straight out of their cameras without touching them.. files usually in excess 0f 1-2Mb. Then your dial up connection will struggle...

:o

I also do the same on Pbase re-size my photo and then recompress it once more.

One photo of approx. 150 - 200 kb is not too much trouble for dial-up but when someone uploads 4, 5, 6 or more on the same page it starts to struggle.

When members up-load their photo as LARGE FILES (mb size) as mentioned in Bold above, then to me thumbnails are meaningless as the actual photo cannot be seen on your computer, only when the software re-sizes it then you are able to see it.

Example is shown here

Large Size Photos do not mean large file size , it is only the sceen size of the photo that is larger than a thumbnail, what really matters is when the FILE SIZE is too big, then the download is slow.

Get the picture :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

Kan, you have probably explained things better than me but a point I was trying to make is if you get a thread with lots of embedded photos in it ( the ones that open without thumbnails ) every time you open that thread, maybe when someone else has added a new post, you have to wait for all the photos to open each time.

If the photos are thumbnails you only have to open the ones you want to look at and the rest appear much faster. So if the thread as been running a while and then someone adds a new photo, you don't have to wait for all the previous photos to open before you can view the new one.

Does this make sense?

If I am going to post a photo on the net or send in an email, I first reduce the size to about 800/1000 pixels wide so that it can be viewed on most computer screens without scrolling. Then using Adobe Elements software ( not expensive ) I have the option of "saving for the web" which reduces the definition. There is other software ( free online ) that will do the same job.

This would make it so much better for people like me who have slow downloads. ( I would think that accounts for many who live in Thailand)

I also realise that this subject as been broached before but because I don't look in this forum so often these days I have not read the threads concerned.

I use a free program called "Shrink Pic" that automatically reduces photos to under 100kb which I hope would reduce the load on slow connections.

What I had in mind when I made the OP was creating a post or blog entry where the photos are mixed in with the text of the article.

Eg....

Paragraph

Picture

Paragraph

Picture

etc.

I use a free program called "Shrink Pic" that automatically reduces photos to under 100kb which I hope would reduce the load on slow connections.

What I had in mind when I made the OP was creating a post or blog entry where the photos are mixed in with the text of the article.

Eg....

The WAR Mar vs VEG.............................

MarVVeg1.jpg

Who eats this............anyway

Jackie-Vegemite.jpg

etc.

This is done by using external links like I just have from Photobucket. It is free of charge so I put all my silly stuff in there.

Hope this helps. If you have any more Queries, just ask away.

Yours truly,

Kan Win :o

Another example for the OP:-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had some friends over from the UK, their first time is thailand btw, and since my Thai wife is quite a handy cook she decided to stir up the old wok with some fried rice.

Food came and it was really superb, all enjoyed it and after the meal my friends ask my wife "what is that dish call in Thai" her relpy was " Khow Pat Kung", you should have seen their faces :D utter Shocked.......

So I stepped forward and said "No not this one"

cowpat.jpg

but this one

thai_rice.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End of the example.

Your truly,

P.S. and you all thought that photographs do not have a sense of humour :o

Reason could be that you have to close the "tags" i.e.

[ img]photo.jpg[ /img]

remove the spaces that I put into the img part.

Do a test run in here again "sceadugenga". :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :o

//:- Edit to add more info.

Edited by Kan Win

OK, dunno wot "tags" are though.

http://s734.photobucket.com/albums/ww347/s...nt=IMG_0170.jpg

Once more.

http://s734.photobucket.com/albums/ww347/sceadugenga1/?action=view&current=IMG_0170.jpg (last removed so it will post).

I spit on PhotoBucket and and all it's weaselly devices.

post-38081-1234351297_thumb.jpg

Edited by sceadugenga

Reason could be that you have to close the "tags" i.e.

[ img]photo.jpg[ /img]

remove the spaces that I put into the img part.

Do a test run in here again "sceadugenga". :wai:

Yours truly,

//:- Edit to add more info.

OK, dunno wot "tags" are though.

http://s734.photobucket.com/albums/ww347/s...nt=IMG_0170.jpg

Once more.

p><p>I spit on PhotoBucket and and all i

The answer is highlighted above in me post. This you failed to do and will have to go to the bottom of this class :P unless you follow these steps:-

http://s734.photobucket.com/albums/ww347/sceadugenga1/?action=view&current=IMG_0170.jpg (last [/img]

Like this:-

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww347/sceadugenga1/IMG_0002.jpg' alt='IMG_0002.jpg'>

Get rid of the red bits and add a / into your last [/ i m g ] like it is shown above.

Kan Win: Used one of your other photo btw in this eggsample.

Get the picture now :o

Another way is to read my posted photo is by clicking on the "quote" button and the "reply" button, but just look at the post and all shall be revealed. :D

Hope this helps :D

Yours truly,

Win :D

P.S. and to you all "sceadugenga" and I are old pals from a different world know as forum 47

Edited by Kan Win

Thanks Win, I'll study it up tomorrow.

It takes me a while to work things out these days, something to do with being 60 I think.

Ohh dear, ohh dear, and there I will be 60 this year too. Naught to do with your age I say nor mine :o

Hope it helps you, if not PM me please.

Yours truly

Win from Kan :D