Air Asia Hand Carry Weight Limit?

dudeyone

Hi guys, I am flying Air Asia from Vietnam to BKK. My main luggage is currently at 21kgs so I plan to take out 6KGs and put it in my hand luggage. My Hand luggage will probably be around 7-8 KGs. Is there any limit for hand luggage? Will they weigh my hand luggage?

.. i was over their limit and had to pay about 3000THB. robbing cnuts

Come on yeasty, be honest and tell us how much extra bags you were carrying and the total weight.

I paid 2888 baht for my excess coming back from the US but that was 3 checked bags totaling well over 60kg. Not bad when the airfare was only 3000 baht.

WHAT PART OF LOW-COST CARRIER DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?

Cheap <deleted>.

Huh? Why I gotta pay for excess luggage? Didn't someone just say they won't weigh hand luggage.

Chill dude. If you keep your checked baggage STRICTLY below 15kg and your carry-on isn't more than 2 bags and not oversize (fit in overhead locker or under seat in front of you) and not obviously heavy, you will manage. Just because you can carry your skis, surfboard, golf bag, doesn't mean they will be permitted, if you get my drift.

AirAsia staff are used to all the tricks and complaints from those who want cheap seats AND unlimited baggage allowance and I commend them for their consistency in enforcing those limits. Their check-in facilities would be much faster if these freeloaders would stop trying it on and either pack accordingly or just pay the charges that are part of the terms of carriage that they already accepted when they clicked that 'Purchase' button.

We checked in at Hanoi airport for the return leg and were a bit overweighted (the luggage I mean, Thai gf only weights 45kgs, which does not mean she could check in a 60kgs bag to get even with her farang :o)

we were told we were 7 kgs over and moved some to our then light back packs, thus avoiding the surcharge which is more expensive on international flights I think (80B + VAT on domestic)

My son checked in on an Air Asia flight a few days ago with only his back pack and his laptop, he was not checked for weight.

I use air asia on a regular basis from CNX - BKK, just put as much as you can in your back pack and don't worry about it. Ive never had mine weighed and im usually around the 10kg limit in the back pack, plus i carry a laptop bag also.

Nanlaew bit low calling me a cheap <deleted> when you know nothing about me. bit uncalled for really

my bag weighed 31kg and they said i could not even take it on the plane even if i wanted to pay the excess charge, so i took my bag to the front of bangkok airport and threw out everthing i did not really need. I can tell you the thais had a frenzy and all my stuff was gone within seconds.

I think i got my bag down to around 20ish but was still charged 3000bht (around that) which was more than my airfare. I do remember looking on the slip after their calculations were wrong on price per kg. funny thing was when i paid the fine no one even checked to see if i paid it which seemed strange.

anyway back to the OP, just check the weights online and if your over just take it in your hand luggage as they will never check that. I had a pretty big rucksack and laptop and had no problems.

Hand Luggage max weight is 7kgs and many times with Air Asia I have been asked to put my hand luggage bag on the belt so they can check the weight.

People saying they never check is not true, as I have been checked a number of times by Air Asia and Tiget Air when flying into Thailand. I always get asked in Singapore, never in Thailand, so maybe it is some staff in some countries that check it when others don't.

tiger definitely check hand baggage weight. Air Asia is sometimes yes, usually no (in Thailand).

by the way for those who didnt get the email, Air Asia now offering assigned seating rather than free-seating starting soon

Unfortunatly they are. Well some good news is that the front seats are half the price of Tiger seat chooser.

The thing I hate about this is AirAsia normally would board very quick due the the free seats as everyone wanted to get near the front, now they know where they are sitting people will drag their arse to the plane and i will sit there waiting for them for 1/2 an hour or more. I like the free seating bundle on board approach for these budget short fights. Gets people on the plane quicker.

Try to track down a cheap photographers vest.

I carried 10kgs in the 22 pockets from BNE to BKK.

I could barely stand up. :o

Excellent idea! I'm flying next month back to the EU with a miserable 5 kg carry-on allowance. Turkish Airlines. But where to find a cheap photographer's vest my big farang size?

Air Asia takes the cake. I hate flying with them but I usually hide my carry on luggage from the check in chick as they might want to weigh it as happened at Chiangrai airport to the people in front of me. I usually cram up to 15kgs per bag in to the overhead locker. That times 4 bags plus extras and checked bags is quite a lot.

Free seating sucks as the mad people rush to get all the window seats then sleep or shut the blind for the entire flight. Not good when traveling with kids who like to look out the window.

I liked 12GO better.................

Luggage 15 kg, hand luggage 7 kg; however they will also allow you to carry on a lap top in addition to your 7 kg handluggage. I got this from the Air Asia desk in Thailand and it was verified in Singapore as their official policy. In fact it is in published form if you ask them for the rules.

Try to track down a cheap photographers vest.

I carried 10kgs in the 22 pockets from BNE to BKK.

I could barely stand up. :o

Excellent idea! I'm flying next month back to the EU with a miserable 5 kg carry-on allowance. Turkish Airlines. But where to find a cheap photographer's vest my big farang size?

Funny you should ask, I happen to have a new one spare and still wrapped......... in 3xl size. :D:D from the US. 100%cotton.

PM me if interested.

cheers :D

My friend don not worry. I flew from Kuala Lumpur to Phuket with 15kgs in main luggage and 30 kgs in 3 different hand luggages!!! They don't weigh the hand luggages!

Hi guys, I am flying Air Asia from Vietnam to BKK. My main luggage is currently at 21kgs so I plan to take out 6KGs and put it in my hand luggage. My Hand luggage will probably be around 7-8 KGs. Is there any limit for hand luggage? Will they weigh my hand luggage?

It's true they didn't. I just completed my flight. In fact, my luggage was overweight by 3 kgs and they nicely asked me if I would like to take out the additional weight and carry it with you or pay the excess weight fee. I took out more things and got it down to 15.5 and they said it's ok, no worries.

I use air asia all the time from Phnom Penh to BKK. Never check in a bag, travel with a small case. laptop and camera bag and have never been stoped or questioned.

I do love seeing tourists with 2-3 suitcases checking in and having to pay $5/kilo (PNH-BKK) /kilo overweitgh and it costing them 3 or 4 x the fare!!

R/T is around $110-140

The hand luggage is 7 kgs per perosn.

Tiger Air at Singapore Budget weigh hand carry almost all the time.

In other locations, it will be quite unusual to have your hand carry weigh. Some people even carry 2 bags (and they both looks heavy, but not too bulky) aboard AirAsia.

If you have hand carry to hide, try not to show them during check-in.