How Long Before You Go Back To Phuket?

SunbeltAsia

How long before you go back to Phuket?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I didn't vote because you didn't have an applicable option for me - I live here. Patong is looking better every day, Karon is looking very good already and although I haven't been to Kata recently, I'm sure it's getting better fast.

I like so many others here will make the effort to visit Phuket in the near future, hopefully February. But our individual efforts are surprisingly being thwarted by tour companies and even governments, who are doing their best to shut-down tourism to Phuket and local areas.

I was surprised to read that the Danish Foreign Ministry yesterday issued an official statement advising against travel to southern Thailand's west coast link here.

A quick translation:

'The (Danish) Foreign Ministry advises against journeys to southern Thailand's west coast, amongst other destinations, Phuket, Khao Lak and Krabi. This is based on the fact that the tidal wave of the 26th December has inflicted great damage to infrastructure etc.'

A leading Danish package-tour company (Star Tour) also states on it's website 'All departures to Phuket (and Sri Lanka) are cancelled till the 31.1.05. Customers who should have travelled in this period can either, at no cost, re-book to another destination or receive a refund.......'

Note that Star Tour made the decision to cancel all Phuket trips several days ago.

Of course most 'less savvy' tourists will take this misinformed advice as gospel and promptly cancel their trips, and from what I have read here on this forum, misinformed is a very nice way of saying bull****.

Might I suggest that local hotel owners who perhaps deal with Star Tour are made aware of this company's way of dealing with this crisis, and perhaps that people are made aware of the Danish governments attitude to helping the affected areas of Phuket. Perhaps Thai media could be made aware of this 'stab in the back' from the Danish government, and at the very least some protest mails could be sent to the Danish ambassador [email protected], expressing displeasure at the inaccuracy of the information being presented to Danish travellers.

Perhaps the Danish government feels more comfortable having people receiving 'disaster aid packages' than trying to rebuild their communities and their livelihoods.

Me, I'm just pissed off at such scaremongering.

I'll admit to ok, getting P-off but really just frustrated at the lack of present day balance and have just now emailed the Danish FM with the Thai Visa tsunami link.

I was made aware on about day 3 of the developing unbalanced reporting via several emails, photos etc from Phuket business people and individuals and sent an email to all 5000 on our newsletter. The email was met by some disbelief (except from those in Phuket).

However, to be fair (and balanced) the news stations did a great job getting awareness out initially, spurring a massive relief drive. NOW, they need to present the balanced story (too late??) or they must partly bear the responsibility should mass cancellations continue (I still have hope tho).

So, IF you feel the International television news services are not showing a balanced present day report on Phuket (as I certainly do) kindly email them and let them know.

Enough of the Phuket destruction reports, over and over and over. Demand a present day balanced report on the Phuket recovery, exact areas currently affected and ongoing rejuvenation effort.

Please email BBC by clicking here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/us/contact/

and CNN here:

http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form1.html?38

REMEMBER to also copy/include the url to Thai Visa's Tsunami forum here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showforum=57

Demand balanced reporting.

All local people and their jobs absolutely depend on the MILLIONS watching international media to make their decision and how/IF they cover the rapid rejuvenation in 'most' areas.

Support Phuket.

Edited by bahtandsold

I posted the Jan 2nd update over on Looney Planet.

The stupidity of the Q & A's is incredible. :o

Look for a post by "Stupid American" (5,800+posts.)

that really is his nic.

I won't bother posting anything over there anymore.

-------------

Found it: http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/messagep...threadid=681677

He's insinuating that Farang and Thai owners of businesses are or might be lieing about the state of Phuket to get more business.

Edited by udon

I haven't left yet either so this poll's not very comprehensive.

Don't ex-pats who live here count?

I'd say things are coming back remarkably fast. Beaches like Naiharn Kata/karon and understand Patong are all useable. (I was at Nai harn this morning and there was only a dozen or people there, water calm clear beautiful)

Most of the bars on Bangla rd are open. Most of the hotels are up an running.

I kind of like the light traffic the empty beaches and having all the girls to myself.

May the herds stay away a little longer.

Though I feel bad for the local businesses and the people who depend on them.

I'd wager the tourist throngs will be back sooner than later. I've heard cancellations for this month are high but are still booking for february.

...The stupidity of the Q & A's is incredible. :o ....

...and today the BBC World is still talking as if all of Phuket island has been washed away and that everyone lives within 100 metres of the beach. ****ing stupid! :D

RDN- BBC and other news sources always try to make things worse than they really are. Reminds me of the big floods that occured in Prague a number years ago. I would have sworn the whole city was flooded from the news reports, but when I got there apparently most of the damage was confined to the old city. It just shows you what a bunch of <deleted> some of these news agencies are.

...He's insinuating that Farang and Thai owners of businesses are or might be lieing about the state of Phuket to get more business.

Yes, I tried to join, but couldn't - something happening with their site - but they said people can reply without logging in, but that didn't work either! :o

I was considering bypassing Phuket this year, however I think I will still go as planned. Its good to know things aren't as bad as I once thought.

Sure, things are getting back to normal fast - have a look at Karon beach, there's nothing much wrong here!

Before:

before71mm.jpg

After:

after75bs.jpg

I actually prefer the "after" picture, but I'm sure the sun loungers and parasols will be back all too soon... :o

RDN- Looks more like what a beach should look like- but I'm afraid you are right the chairs will be back in full force.

Ah well, they have to make a living I suppose. I just wish they'd leave 20 or 30 yards of beach somewhere without them. There used to be a spot at the north end of the beach that was free of them, but even that bit got covered at the end of last year.

I suppose I could write to the governor and ask him to have a word with the governor of Phang Nga.... (my hero :o )

Phuket Gazette, Friday, February 27, 2004

Beach chair protest falls on deaf ears

Villagers block the road to Bangniang Beach.

bull2272004333719vr.jpg

KHAO LAK: An angry crowd of about 200 beach chair renters and other residents of the Bangniang area of Khao Lak blocked the road to Bangniang Beach from 9 am to 5 pm yesterday to protest the removal of beach chairs and umbrellas from the beach.

Police and military personnel moved all the chairs and umbrellas from the beach earlier the same day on orders from Phang Nga Governor Samatcha Pothaworn.

The protesters kept up the roadblock until Gov Samatcha arrived to listen to their grievances.

In the event, he was unmoved, refusing to back down from his controversial decision to ban beach chairs at Khao Lak – a move intended to preserve the beach’s natural beauty and to differentiate it from beaches in neighboring provinces, particularly Phuket.....

...I'll admit to ok, getting P-off but really just frustrated at the lack of present day balance....

AT LAST, today BBC World news had an interview with a reporter in Phuket who said that the best thing for people to do was TO CONTINUE TO COME to Thailand, to support the tourism business. Common sense at last.

Hi. Could anyone let me know if this hotel and/or staff survived, and how I might contact them when I get to Thailand in a few weeks (the e-mail is overloaded at the moment). Many thanks.

Thai Kamala Village

93 Moo 3 Rim-Had Road 

Kamala Beach, Kathu 

Phuket, 83120 Thailand 

Phone: (66) 076.279.795, 

(66) 076.279.797

Mobile: (66) 01.891.8085

Khun Pensri, Khun Chakrit or Mrs. Jongrak

E-mail: [email protected]