Governor Petitioned To Ban The Second Chiang Mai Gay Pride Parade

sriracha john

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Equally, the gay community should be responsible for policing the parade to ensure there are no display's of public affection or too sexually provocative acts that breach Thailand's moral code and give credence to some of the anti-parade arguments put forward in this thread.

Ballocks! There is no such thing as a gay "community." That is a myth. There are gay people and we are very diverse. Some of us will act in ways that are offensive just like any other kinds of people. Turn your bloody head away!

Your kind of talk reminds me of people who used to describe "Uncle Tom" type black American people as "a credit to their race." No, I for one reject that ancient kind of thinking. We should all dress up in dark suits and white shirts like Mormons, I suppose, huh? Why bother with a gay parade then?

If some man is so moved to kiss his boyfriend at a gay event in Thailand, do you think the street will explode if they do so?

I actually agree with your comments about the gay community in general. My point would have been clearer if I'd said the parade organisers instead.

First, let me identify myself. I'm head of LYC Chiang Mai. I'm writing from a biased position, since our group has chosen to support the Chiang Mai 2nd Gay Parade on February 21.

Well, that kills the theory there are no Farangs involved! Guess Endure was right afterall :D

(the opinions expressed below are that of the author and are not to be construed as representative or supported by any group, company, society, or world of which he is a member.)

I know many here don't have English as a first language, so let me be more specific.

LYC CNX was asked by MPlus to "support" the parade.

We had no part in its planning, conception, approval, government presentation, or execution. So, we are providing financial and moral support (like liaison with Westerners).

The parade would have gone on without our support, but I think it's particularly gracious of MPlus to invite our group (which is more than 50% Thai, by the way) to participate.

Like a previous poster suggested, if you think this ain't a Thai thing, look who's involved in the politics - MPlus and Natee. Though each tries to recruit Westerner support, it's all their show, for better or for worse.

If you prefer not to draw conclusions based on hearsay and inference, the information required to call MPlus directly is provided previously by another poster.

Of course, it's more fun to draw conclusions without hard data, since then you can conclude anything that makes you feel good! 555

http://www.chiangmaigaypride.com

My comment was meant to be tounge in cheek :o I'm well aware of the people involved. But I'm glad you've responded to clarify that the event is indeed 100% Thai organisation.

Is there some sort of class you can attend to teach you how to mince?

a gay friend of mine once recommended a method which you can practice in the comfort of your own home. when dressing in the morning place a tennis ball between one's buttocks, grip said tennis ball, then dress as normal. if you can make it through the entire day without dropping the tennis ball you will have mastered the tricky art of mincing.

If some man is so moved to kiss his boyfriend at a gay event in Thailand, do you think the street will explode if they do so?

Any type of public affection in Thailand is frowned upon. Please respect Thailand.

Completely inaccurate ... unless of course you are in your 60's and Thai and it is your kids that you are seeing kissing someone else.

Try being around average Thai people under 40 or so anywhere in the country ... and while some decorum is usually kept, a kiss or hand holding is completely normal here now. Put down those guidebooks from 20 years ago and visit Thailand again!

Any type of public affection in Thailand is frowned upon. Please respect Thailand.

Completely inaccurate ... unless of course you are in your 60's and Thai and it is your kids that you are seeing kissing someone else.

Try being around average Thai people under 40 or so anywhere in the country ... and while some decorum is usually kept, a kiss or hand holding is completely normal here now. Put down those guidebooks from 20 years ago and visit Thailand again!

In public I've only ever seen prostitutes kissing a punter. In Chiang Mai kissing is taboo for people not working in the sex trade. You may not have noticed.

In public I've only ever seen prostitutes kissing a punter. In Chiang Mai kissing is taboo for people not working in the sex trade. You may not have noticed.

WOW! You are right ... those must have been prostitutes and punters on campus at CMU! (get real!)

(edit --- and those 2 college age people that I saw at the walking street market ... and the guy and girl holding hands waiting at the movies that kissed? ... oh and the couple at the restaurant over the river? ... all hookers and johns!)

Edited by jdinasia

In any case, please keep in mind that if you see two males kissing in public they represent themselves, those particular two males, and not the gay community, which only exists in the abstract imagination. Same difference if you see two heteros who need to get a room, they are themselves, not the heterosexual community. Got it now?

Is there some sort of class you can attend to teach you how to mince?

a gay friend of mine once recommended a method which you can practice in the comfort of your own home. when dressing in the morning place a tennis ball between one's buttocks, grip said tennis ball, then dress as normal. if you can make it through the entire day without dropping the tennis ball you will have mastered the tricky art of mincing.

I tried that, StevieH, but I was damned if I could find the blasted ball in the evening! Can't imagine where it disappeared to! :o

You don't honestly think that any sponsoring organisation will truthfully confirm if my worst suspicions about yet another sordid 'gay pride' event are true? I'll wait for the pictures from this year's event; that's the most reliable way to judge towards what sort of crowd the event is pitched and by whom. If it's convincing, maybe I'll go next year.

You don't honestly think that any sponsoring organisation will truthfully confirm if my worst suspicions about yet another sordid 'gay pride' event are true? I'll wait for the pictures from this year's event; that's the most reliable way to judge towards what sort of crowd the event is pitched and by whom. If it's convincing, maybe I'll go next year.

When is the Gay Pride? I heard rumors that it was cancelled? my friends told me there is a benefit on Febraury 14, any ideas where. As a gay man i think we, all gay and lesbian and their friends, should support this. please advise

WOW! You are right ... those must have been prostitutes and punters on campus at CMU! (get real!)

(edit --- and those 2 college age people that I saw at the walking street market ... and the guy and girl holding hands waiting at the movies that kissed? ... oh and the couple at the restaurant over the river? ... all hookers and johns!)

Did you see Elvis at CMU as well?

We live in different worlds. Your world has the general Thai population kissing in public and it seems to be postive and within the mores of Thai culture. Although things are changing slowly I experience a different Thailand from you. Still each to his own.

If I feel a compulsion to kiss my husband in public, I will do so. Nothing wrong with it. And I am Thai. People really do get too riled up about 'thai culture'. As the article from MPlus said, culture changes, it shifts. If people are going to be offended by a little kiss between lovers then they are the ones who I feel sorry for. Naught wrong with love! And my parents have been holding hands in public for forty years...nothing wrong with it.

You were educated in England and you're luk krung - not really a typical Thai. And your husband is a plastic Australian (Kiwi).

Holding hands and kissing are a wee bit different. Kissing, imo, is still viewed as something for indoors. I'm talking about tongues swapping spit and stuff not a peck on the cheek. I think the post that started this diatribe was referring to tongues and not a little sniff or peck on the side of the face.

Edited by Loaded

Did you see Elvis at CMU as well?

We live in different worlds. Your world has the general Thai population kissing in public and it seems to be postive and within the mores of Thai culture. Although things are changing slowly I experience a different Thailand from you. Still each to his own.

Right ... you experience a Thailand that no longer exists outside of small towns/villages! Get out there around your average youngish people and take a look around away from the prostitutes and punters you mention! Every instance I mentioned was something I have seen in Chiang Mai ... not Patong etc :o

But I now see you are qualifying things more and more ... now is it OK to kiss so long as no tongues are involved?

I don't know if there will be kissing at the gay parade or not , but the only time I can remember seeing kissing in Thailand was when a farang grabbed his Thai lady (of the long in the tooth type) and tongue kissed her , for some time. This long in the tooth type lady blushed for probably the first time in her life . The Thais stopped what they were doing and stared , lots of them , it was in the middle of a shopping center.

kissing in public is taboo for sure. perhaps some people can get away with it in romantic, secluded places in sunset , but in shopping centers, on the street and parades , nope.

people that say otherwise only show their ignorance of thai culture im afraid :o

Edited by mc2

I don't know if there will be kissing at the gay parade or not , but the only time I can remember seeing kissing in Thailand was when a farang grabbed his Thai lady (of the long in the tooth type) and tongue kissed her . This long in the tooth type lady blushed for probably the first time in her life . The Thais stopped what they were doing and stared , lots of them , it was in the middle of a shopping center.

kissing in public is taboo for sure. perhaps some people can get away with it in romantic, secluded places in sunset , but in shopping centers, on the street and parades , nope.

people that say otherwise only show their ignorance of thai culture im afraid :o

LOL

Come to Thailand and look around outside of Pattaya :D ((or even turn on the television))

I don't know if there will be kissing at the gay parade or not , but the only time I can remember seeing kissing in Thailand was when a farang grabbed his Thai lady (of the long in the tooth type) and tongue kissed her . This long in the tooth type lady blushed for probably the first time in her life . The Thais stopped what they were doing and stared , lots of them , it was in the middle of a shopping center.

LOL

Come to Thailand and look around outside of Pattaya :D ((or even turn on the television))

never been there . dont really want to.

this was in a shopping center , in BKK. Pantip plaza .

never seen kissing on telivision also, unless u count a tiny "HOM" during a wedding as a kiss .

you dont have a clue do you :D

hmmmmm

early 1990's for the first kiss on Thai TV

thats super.

and now you think this heralded a new phase in thai cultrue where tabboo of kissing in public (PUBLIC, not seculuded romantic places) lifted ?

a gay parade should respected thai modest ways. mistakes of minority groups are easier to spot and remember . just use common sense , its not a free for all.

Coming up on 19 years later ... and kissing in public is relatively common amongst the under 40 set. Certainly not the scandal that Bird Mc made with that girl so many years ago -- again EVERY instance I mentioned happened in public (and in Chiang Mai to boot)

Don't worry, the fact that you don't notice it is probably just that it is so common these days (again as stated from the beginning ... amongst younger folks .. mostly college age)

In fact, I have been kissed by a Thai girl in public. It was her birthday and she was a trifle (VERY) drunk and yes all her friends were scandalized so much that they laughed about it for 20 minutes! Granted this occurred where alcohol was being consumed, but it wasn't in a bar with hookers OR in a gay bar.

Come to Thailand and open your eyes ... in fact just turn on the TV if you can't get here :o

Quite a few people have made the same observation at different times on different threads about our man in asia. :o

Thanks! Usually it's either people that don't understand Thailand, Thai politics, or believe that we never landed men on the moon! (sometimes it is all three in one person!)

but we have cleared up the TV kiss ... and the fact that Thais kiss in public (granted not Thais in intergenerational relationships etc ... but just regular Thai people ....)

Quite a few people have made the same observation at different times on different threads about our man in asia. :D

and almost 10000 posts of it :D

george needs a rule against nonsense.

Oh dear, not another jd bashing thread... :o

Quite a few people have made the same observation at different times on different threads about our man in asia. :D

and almost 10000 posts of it :D

george needs a rule against nonsense.

Oh dear, not another jd bashing thread... :o

LOL .. normally it's just you doing it jetset (well, you and those that have been banned over and over :D

But again all it takes is turning on the TV or opening ones eyes in public to see that kissing is not that rare in public amongst younger Thais.