Governor Petitioned To Ban The Second Chiang Mai Gay Pride Parade

sriracha john

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red threats call off gay march

A few red-shirts also tried to break through police security in front of the stage to attack an organiser because they were upset that she had been taking their pictures.

"Chiang Mai people cannot accept this and will stop the parade by all means, even violence."

Thank you both for the photos... but please... stay safe.

I was not there nor do I know all about the details of this event, but I think it was wrong to call the parade off.

because this will make those red-shirted thugs and obviously paid hooligans give the confidence that they have the power and means to destroy everything they dont like. those people say they fight FOR democracy, but instead they fight AGAINST democratic citizen rights.

there was so much publicity both in the farang- as well in the Thai-media, that the Chiang mai authorities would not have been able to allow any violence and the police would have had to do their duty. because it would go through the media immidiately.

and with plenty of tourists in town, the rest of the world would have learned about that too.

because now what will happen next year ?

As a recommendation for further events, the organizers should buy RED shirts with pro-gay-slogans and wear them at the parade. THAT would be interesting to see how the thugs react on that.....

Edited by THAILIBAN

Oh behave.....can we stay focused please?

Apologies... dishonest trolls always bother me.

:o Has anyone found any program anywhere offering a 'phD' in Thai cultural studies anywhere?

Had he attended the Thai Studies program at Chula, then no doubt I would know him :D

To the folks that were kind enough to put up the pics of the Reds .... please be very careful. That group does have murderers in it!

Oh behave.....can we stay focused please?

Apologies... dishonest trolls always bother me.

:D Has anyone found any program anywhere offering a 'phD' in Thai cultural studies anywhere?

Had he attended the Thai Studies program at Chula, then no doubt I would know him :D

:o:D:D

again .. you used this fictitious 'phD in Thai culural studies' degree to justify a position (again erroneous) so sorry .. calling you on it is NOT off topic :wai:

A few red-shirts also tried to break through police security in front of the stage to attack an organiser because they were upset that she had been taking their pictures.

"Chiang Mai people cannot accept this and will stop the parade by all means, even violence."

From the four pictures Ally posted it was the girl in the pink shirt in the bottom right corner of the bottom right picture they tried to attack and grab her camera. The police intervened quickly and restrained the red guys - only active thing I saw them do all day :o Should add I was watching from a safe distance........

Heard a few days ago the red shirts were planning to protest but I'd dismissed it as rumour only. There could be no logical reason for doing so. As it was I'd say the reds scored a massive own goal!

Firstly, the cancellation of the parade will give the event much more publicity than would otherwise have been the case. Secondly, far from upholding Lanna culture, the red shirts portrayed Chiang Mai as a city full of selfish intollerant thugs with no respect for the rule of law or the rights of anybody else. Just what CM tourist business needs right now.......

I agree with Thailiban's comments, its a disappointment the parade didn't go ahead, any violence by the reds would have generated a whole load more publicity and made them look even more ridiculous than they did yesterday.

From what I saw most of the mob were paid thugs from the surrounding countryside, real lo-so types who wouldn't know thai culture from lao kao. Far from educated I suspect most would have been hard pressed to write their own name! Pity the police didn't bring the mobile urine testing unit with them, I'm sure that would have been a quick way to reduce their numbers :D Though it might have had a similar effect on the parade too........

I think the real story has nothing to do with gay parade, but was an excuse for the Red's to be on the streets and get at something they saw as being organised by the yellows - though I can't understand how they make that connection. Guess we'll have to wait for the CM mail to tell us that :D

Firstly, the cancellation of the parade will give the event much more publicity than would otherwise have been the case. Secondly, far from upholding Lanna culture, the red shirts portrayed Chiang Mai as a city full of selfish intollerant thugs with no respect for the rule of law or the rights of anybody else. Just what CM tourist business needs right now.......

absolutely true, sadly.

From the four pictures Ally posted it was the girl in the pink shirt in the bottom right corner of the bottom right picture they tried to attack and grab her camera. The police intervened quickly and restrained the red guys - only active thing I saw them do all day :o Should add I was watching from a safe distance........

Thank you for your post and yes as jdinasia posted, this Red Shirt group is dangerous. The pink-shirted woman was brave and am just glad that the police decided to do something in her particular case.

Heard a few days ago the red shirts were planning to protest but I'd dismissed it as rumour only. There could be no logical reason for doing so. As it was I'd say the reds scored a massive own goal!

Weren't the Red Shirts ALSO responsible for disrupting your very recent Flower Festival, as well?

Edited by sriracha john

I think most of you are missing the point here, gay parades now days in country’s like Thailand or the UK for that matter are very little to do with gay rights issues, its just a big excuse for a piss up and a party, and what’s wrong with that. Lighten up folks! :o

Obviously that is NOT true in Thailand if it inspired these red shirted criminal hoodlums to use threatened violence to stop free expression of gay people in Thailand.

The poster who tried to blame PAD for the actions of these violent red Thaksinistas is downright comical. Up is down. Black is white. Gay is straight. No, it was the RED SHIRTS who did this. Clear and simple.

Sure, I am sure some red shirts and plenty of red shirt supporters are also gay. And that is relevant to this shameful repressive action in what way?

Edited by Jingthing

Well, it seems that the fascist side of this "democratic" group is coming out in full colours, now. A shame (and stupid, really) for them to set themselves against gays as a group.

I agree it is a shame but I am not sure it is politically stupid. Targeting unpopular groups for political gain is a common tactic of both left wing and right wing totalitarian movements.

I do wonder how much of the red bullies objection comes from the anti-foreigner part of it rather than the anti-gay part of it. Kind of like when the leader of Iran says there are no Iranian gays, that gayness is imported by the foreign devils. If the people see this red action as mostly anti-foreigner, well that always works in Thai politics.

Edited by Jingthing

Well, it seems that the fascist side of this "democratic" group is coming out in full colours, now. A shame (and stupid, really) for them to set themselves against gays as a group.

You don't think it came out when they were lobbing bombs at people? Or killing the radio guy?

Kinda sucks that this happened but I wonder if the Gov'r could be pressured into helping set up the event again AND offering protection? (Could be a VERY good PR thing for the HIV prevention/info group!)

As far as I am concerned, these gay parades now do have a deep meaning in Thai society. Is anyone else disappointed that the parade was so easily canceled by a rather small group of red shirted thugs? Where is the spirit of Stonewall that inspired these parades in the first place? Parades throughout the world have met insipid hate groups like these red shirts but they MARCHED ANYWAY. It would be a real shame if they don't try again. Caving in to these thugs? Then, they have won.

Look at the hateful SMUG expression of the red man in the lower left of post 304. This guy won. The people who think gays are always weak and live to "mince into a frenzy" have won. Something is wrong with this picture.

Edited by Jingthing

I think most of you are missing the point here, gay parades now days in country’s like Thailand or the UK for that matter are very little to do with gay rights issues, its just a big excuse for a piss up and a party, and what’s wrong with that. Lighten up folks! :o

Obviously that is NOT true in Thailand if it inspired these red shirted criminal hoodlums to use threatened violence to stop free expression of gay people in Thailand.

The poster who tried to blame PAD for the actions of these violent red Thaksinistas is downright comical. Up is down. Black is white. Gay is straight. No, it was the RED SHIRTS who did this. Clear and simple.

Sure, I am sure some red shirts and plenty of red shirt supporters are also gay. And that is relevant to this shameful repressive action in what way?

if you follow the whole story - it all started up because 2 gay people - one farang and one Thai tried to get the gay parade stopped any way possible, on tv, in the newspapers - making some crazy comments - and then got the red shirts involved.

"The spirit of Stonewall"? --- you have to be joking!

Not at all.post-37101-1235298381_thumb.jpg

Not in the abstract sense anyway. When there have been early gay parades in some countries, and they MARCH ANYWAY, even though people are throwing rocks at them, or worse, most probably don't know about Stonewall, but they are living out the same spirit.

if you follow the whole story - it all started up because 2 gay people - one farang and one Thai tried to get the gay parade stopped any way possible, on tv, in the newspapers - making some crazy comments - and then got the red shirts involved.

So the red shirts are not RESPONSIBLE for their OWN actions? Give me a break.

Edited by Jingthing

"The spirit of Stonewall"? --- you have to be joking!

Not at all.

The Stonewall riots have nothing even approximating anything in common with the history of gays in Thailand (and in fact by your previous remarks about ladyboys not being 'gay' and Stonewall being a drag bar and the riots started by a bunch of DQ's in NYC ......

There's never been persecution of gays and gay businesses in Thailand on the order of magnitude that occurred in NYC 30 years ago ....

'spirit of stonewall' ... lol!

There's a hotel behind Wat Prasing (Warawot Hotel I think) that is owned by one of the organisers of the red shirts. They have, or used to have, a stall outside the hotel partially blocking the road as it turns towards the moat and Little Bee bakery. Don't forget this when you are spending your baht.

My wife, and her family, are fairly representative of Chiang Mai people and she and her family couldn't see anything negative about a gay parade in Chiang Mai. They thought it would be 'sanuk'. I don't know any heterosexual Chiang Mai Thai who has ever said anything homophobic in the many years I have lived here. As someone said before, Thailand is the least homophobic country in the world, and Chiang Mai probably more pink than any other province.

The red shirts do not represent Chiang Mai, or Thai, people. They are a fascist organisation that saw an opportunity for publicity. Like all fascist organisations they use thuggery and ignorance to promote their stupidity.

They are a fascist organisation that saw an opportunity for publicity. Like all fascist organisations they use thuggery and ignorance to promote their stupidity.

Obviously true. But shouldn't evil be RESISTED?

These thugs clearly thought there would be no resistance. They were right. You think it is OK to leave it like that and give them their total victory for repression?

At the very least, lets hope this action of the red shirts is broadcast around the world. The fact of what these red shirts really are can do damage to any international support from liberal democratic countries that the Thug in Chief, Mr. T, can ever return as PM for life. Totalitarian leaders always use scapegoats. Chavez of Venezuela is now scapegoating Jews, it doesn't matter if its from the right or the left.

Edited by Jingthing

There's never been persecution of gays and gay businesses in Thailand on the order of magnitude that occurred in NYC 30 years ago ..

Agreed. But what just happened was ant-gay repression in Thailand. Yes?

You aren't making sense --- you agree there's never been a need for the 'spirit of stonewall' before but .....

and no .. this was a bunch of Reds looking for attention.

I agreed it was worse for gays in the US before Stonewall than here. I don't agree that Thailand is a paradise for Thai gays and I don't agree that they don't face a good amount of discrimination in their own society. But I can't really speak for Thai gays, and neither can you.

Edited by Jingthing

I agree with Thailiban's comments, its a disappointment the parade didn't go ahead, any violence by the reds would have generated a whole load more publicity and made them look even more ridiculous than they did yesterday.

From what I saw most of the mob were paid thugs from the surrounding countryside, real lo-so types who wouldn't know thai culture from lao kao. Far from educated I suspect most would have been hard pressed to write their own name! Pity the police didn't bring the mobile urine testing unit with them, I'm sure that would have been a quick way to reduce their numbers :D Though it might have had a similar effect on the parade too........

I think the real story has nothing to do with gay parade, but was an excuse for the Red's to be on the streets and get at something they saw as being organised by the yellows - though I can't understand how they make that connection. Guess we'll have to wait for the CM mail to tell us that :D

I live in the 'surrounding countryside'--just outside a small farming village. The people here are NOT thugs, nor are they uneducated--for example, the son of the older couple who run the local store has a degree from CMU in psychology, and is now in the USA studying for a Master's. The locals do have an awareness of their own culture, and treasure it. As a result, they are not happy about taking the worst (whatever that is, McDonalds, lack of respect for parents, etc) from Western culture and losing the best of their own culture--which many farangs may not even try to understand.

Even if what you, perhaps unwisely, wrote, was true--why do you suppose it would be necessary to be able to 'write your own name' in order to have feelings about whatever is happening in your own society and your rears about that?

Whatever the reason was for the red-shirts' unfortunate involvement, (my own view is that they want the publicity--probably the same reason that they joined in a farmers' protest at City Hall last week), I was there yesterday, and did not see any drunks or obviously stoned people on either side.

Keep a clear head, why don't you, and don't have the Thai people think that all farangs believe as you do. Some of us actually do want to be able to stay here!

okinasan