Directions

rickthailand

Hi, I have just returned from a trip to chiang mai and I have rented a house there where I will be moving on the 1st of March. Does

anyone has the best route to drive from Udon Thani to chiang mai as I will be moving myself and my stuff by car. I am sure I will be on the chiang mai forum a lot in the weeks to come.

Thanks for you help.

rick

My best guess is to stay to the main highways. The smaller roads are too filled with local traffic to make much time. I would go south from Udon Thani on hwy 210 and then continue south on hwy 228 to Chum Phae. Then go west on hwy 12 (Hwy from Khon Kaen) to Phitsanulok. Then go north on hwy 11 past Uttaradit to the junction at Den Chai. Then turn west again on hwy 11 to Lampang and on to Chiang Mai. It's a long haul and my friend in Udon Thani says it takes him about 8 hours to reach Chiang Mai in his Pathfinder truck. There are several low mountain passes you have to cross and it's never a fast journey. Yah gotta look out for all sorts of strange drivers who don't act rationally.

Good luck