Drug Rehab Program?

lukamar

We just found out that my wife's youngest brother, he's 24, has a Yaba Problem. It took a good while for the family to realize and admit that he had a problem but now they are out of denial and are willing to get him some help.

My wife has talked to the government hospital in CR but they only have a program that puts them on other drugs during the come down stage. What my wife and I would like to find is a rehab program for him in CR or Phayao. They have one in Mae Rim in Chiang mai but it's aimed at Heroine addicts more than Meth addicts, but it is an alternative.

We have just started trying to get information today but would appreciate any information on a program in Chiang Rai or an NGO that does this sort of thing that anyone has. Also does anyone know if there is any kind of support group/s for families of people with drug problems.

My brother in law, Who is a policeman, also lectures kids at a live-in center for kids that have or have had drug problems. It`s halfway between the Santiburi turn off and Huay Sak. I don`t know if this kid is to old for this program or not. I will endeavour to find out for you and let you know.

Regards,

Chang35baht

Thanks C35B.

Both the Police and the Army run a facility at their base. My Father in Law is going to go over there today and see what they offer. He still has contacts with the military even though he's been retired for a few years so maybe that will help.

We also found the Operation Dawn Foundation in Mae Chan. My wife had a very long talk with them they have a minimum 1 year program in what sounds like a locked down facility. The cost is right, it's free. All the people there need is credits to buy incidentals from their store you put money into their credit account. I guess they don't want a bunch of addicts with cash in their hand, which is probably a good idea. You have to put 5000Bt up front to hold your space for the year. if they last for a year you get 100% of it back. The problem is it's a Christian missionary type place and I don't know if he would feel like he fits in, he wanted to become a monk before he went into the military and he still talks about doing that. On the religious note my wife didn't know until I told her so maybe they don't push it the way I think they will.

http://en.oncb.go.th/file/treament.html

this link has some listings worth checking out.

and while i don't know operation dawn personally, i wonder if its really 'free'. i wonder if any christian based 'help' groups ever give help with no strings attached. the fee may be giving up your personal religious/spiritual beliefs and adopting theirs.

not really free then, is it?

A bit of an update.

The Father in Law, in the end it's his decision although I get to pay :o , has decided that Operation Dawn is the best alternative. He talked to a bunch of people, got some advice on rehab and visited their facility. He doesn't have a problem with it being christian based, which surprised me. He feels that it will give him something totally different, a different way of thinking and a different direction. He feels that if his son still wants to become a monk after the rehab the christian experience can only make him a better one. Anyway he's going today and he also wants to go. So thanks all for the advice.

I'd imagine that a good serve of Christianity would drive more than a few people into a Buddhist monastery.

Best of luck to you all anyway.

ROTFLMAO - It would turn me suicidal or into an addict, but that's another story. I escaped when I was about 12... :o

• 2 weeks later...
We just found out that my wife's youngest brother, he's 24, has a Yaba Problem. It took a good while for the family to realize and admit that he had a problem but now they are out of denial and are willing to get him some help.

My wife has talked to the government hospital in CR but they only have a program that puts them on other drugs during the come down stage. What my wife and I would like to find is a rehab program for him in CR or Phayao. They have one in Mae Rim in Chiang mai but it's aimed at Heroine addicts more than Meth addicts, but it is an alternative.

We have just started trying to get information today but would appreciate any information on a program in Chiang Rai or an NGO that does this sort of thing that anyone has. Also does anyone know if there is any kind of support group/s for families of people with drug problems.

the largest and only real drug rehab in the north worth a shit is in Mae Rim , C.M. and no they are not just for heroine that is just so incorrect. From alcohol (which is what most of the guest are there for )reefer , speed, to ice,thinners,vapors, pills, and opium and heroine .(which are pretty rare now)

they have full time nurses,clincical psychologist and full time doctor,very large facility even have a "vip" section for all the movie stars (most likely tile floors instead of concrete.)

keep the religous crap out of it and maybe he can recover.

Hate to sound negative, but this is THE most difficult drug to get off of and stay off of. It has the highest relapse rate, and I don't think I've ever known someone to get off it and stay off it. It's also the toughest to tell if people are using without a test. I understand you want to help, but protecting my immediate family would be highest on the list of priorities and kept at the forefront of the mind if I were you. I wish you luck.

I don't think I've ever known someone to get off it and stay off it.

Thanks for the input damian. I'm well aware of the problems associated with this particular drug and the recurrence rate. During the early 70's I used a lot of Meth so I personally know what he's going through and what the drug does to you, although YaBa is a lot worse than what Meth used to be. My wife and I have started an education program for the family and convinced them that "Tough Love" is the way to go. They now understand, to a degree, that he will try to manipulate them into thinking he's not using when he actually is. They are much more aware than they were.

A bit of a word about the Dawn Foundation. They really seem to be a decent program. He "escaped" on day two, but they managed to track him down and bring him back. They even made him wear leg shackles for a week. At this point he's got the drug out of his system but it's still a long road for him. The program is for one year and probably that time frame will be needed but they will allow people to remain up to 3 years. His biggest complaint is that a lot of the people in treatment there don't speak Thai and his bed is hard as a rock. That may actually be a blessing in disguise in the end.

When he gets out, we will probably be back in Thailand, I'm going to get some drug test kits and make him take tests when I feel the need.

Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I wonder if you can help. I had heard of a yr long rehab program in thailand, so i googled it and hit upon this forum, and your discussion about operation dawn.

I wonder if you have the time to let me know more details please.

Since reading your post i have emailed them to ask for information, but not heard back.

I am in Perth, Western australia. I have a 31 yr old brother who has been a heroin addict for about 10 yrs. He has recently started using speed.

We are DESPERATE for a long term program. urgently.

I cant really get much real information from their website, so anything you can tell me would be great.

like, where it is, do they take foreigners, can people get in immediatly, how we go about making contact etc etc. and what the program is like.

thanks for reading.

PT

Hi,

I wonder if you can help. I had heard of a yr long rehab program in thailand, so i googled it and hit upon this forum, and your discussion about operation dawn.

Since reading your post i have emailed them to ask for information, but not heard back.

I am in Perth, Western australia. I have a 31 yr old brother who has been a heroin addict for about 10 yrs. He has recently started using speed.

I cant really get much real information from their website, so anything you can tell me would be great.

like, where it is, do they take foreigners, can people get in immediatly, how we go about making contact etc etc. and what the program is like.

thanks for reading.

PT

Sorry for the slow reply,

I'll send you a PM.

Marty

Hi,

I don't know if it can be useful but i've seen a TV program about Tham Krabok, a temple where you learn that eating is more important than taking drug (what i remember), and i found this link on Google: http://www.thamkrabok.org.au/

The problem with this and some other similar places is their program starts at over 20,000Bt. This is a huge sum of money for most Thai people and the program is targeting foreigners who need rehab. What Thailand needs is a decent nation wide rehab program but considering they can't educate half the population having a national drug rehab program is more than a pipe dream.

Thanks for the input damian. I'm well aware of the problems associated with this particular drug and the recurrence rate. During the early 70's I used a lot of Meth so I personally know what he's going through and what the drug does to you, although YaBa is a lot worse than what Meth used to be.

I really wonder about this. Frankly, uncut Meth Amphetimine is pretty hard to beat. My guess is it is pretty much the same product now, only not stepped on. :o

Hi,

thanks for reading.

PT

PT your distress is understandable. Is your brother on-board with a plan to send him into rehab overseas? I don't want to throw cold water on the idea, but what if he escapes or leaves the program and relapses in Thailand? Travel insurance won't cover any health issues arising from drug use and your family could be up for a big bill if anything happened to him. And if he relapsed and got caught with drugs in his possession he could be looking at a l-o-n-g time in prison.

Not saying don't try but do consider the context of how things work in Thailand.