Thai Website World Unlocked

Insight

Apologies if this has been posted before, but check this.

Tried with a few sites and it's producing very readable results....

Wow! This is going to make doing my writing assignments so much easier! Thanks for the tip

The ability to translate a Thai page into English is provided right on the original google search page! Gee, I can see this is going to be fun already. One of my favorite restaurants in town is called แม่หยา. Google translated it to The Parent Drug. Okay, it's not perfect, but knowing google, it'll get better as each day goes by.

Today's latest news from Thai Rath:

19:00 19:00. น. บรรจุกระดูก'ยอดรัก สลักใจ' ใต้หุ่นจำลองที่วัดไร่ขิง Am packing bone 'darling carved mind' under the measurement model farm ginger.

18:45 18:45. น. 'บ้านริมน้ำ'รับซบภูมิใจไทย PM 'Home Theater' proud to be Thai cuddle. เหตุเพื่อแผ่นดินแพแตก Why แพแตก to earth.

18:23 18:23. น. ตีปี๊บเคาะ30ล้านสร้างสภาใหม่ Am beating bucket percussion create 30 million new council. ส.ส.ปิ้งขอโรงแรมเพิ่ม S.s. increase broil for hotels.

18:00 18:00. น. ตร.นครศรีฯ รวบ'หนุ่ม พนม' มือปืนรับจ้างชื่อดัง Nakorn Sri Tr. am bagging the 'young mountain' famous mercenary gunman.

17:45 17:45. น. ฝากขังสองผัวเมียจัดสวิงกิ้ง PM leaves swing by impounding two spouses Europe. ค้านประกันหวั่นหลบหนี Escape of dreaded opposition.

17:30 17:30. น. ส.ว่ายน้ำสหรัฐฯ U.S. swimmer pm Sat. แบน'ฉลามเฟล์ปส' 3 เดือนสูบกัญชา Flat 'ฉลาม French Oil DPW' 3-month smoking marijuana.

17:20 17:20. น. อัยการเร่งขอที่อยู่ ทักษิณ หวังให้กลับมารับโทษ PM Thaksin is that prosecutors hope for accelerating the back pay.

17:15 17:15. น. โฆษกมาร์คซัดพท.จ้องป่วนสภาหวังขวางรบ.ทำงาน I am the spokesperson Mark beat you. Council forward lateral gaze be tumultuous battle. Work.

17:00 17:00. น. หุ้นปลายสัปดาห์ขยับปิดที่444.39จุดบวก10.95จุด Share am weekend closing movement plus 10.95 points to 444.39 points.

:o

Of course headlines are difficult. But, here is the first sentence in an article from today's Matichon:

การส่งออกกุ้งจากประเทศไทย นับเป็นอีกหนึ่งอุตสาหกรรมที่มีการพัฒนาอย่างต่อเนื่อง

And Google's version:

"Shrimp exports from Thailand. This is one industry that is constantly evolving."

If one removes the space to test "การส่งออกกุ้งจากประเทศไทยนับเป็นอีกหนึ่งอุตสาหกรรมที่มีการพัฒนาอย่างต่อเนื่อง", the translation comes back:

"Shrimp exports from Thailand is one industry that is constantly evolving."

I would have said,

"Thailand's shrimp export business is yet one more industry which is continuously developing [or evolving]."

I think that Google did a pretty good job with that no so simple declarative sentence, no?

Meadish:

I put in David's last query ถ้าไม่มีความรู้นี้แล้วก็ไม่สามารถวิเคราะห์ภาษาดังที่มนุษย์ทำได to see what'd come up:

Here's google's take: Without this knowledge can not analyze the language that men can do.

Here's aanon's take: Without this knowledge, [a computer system] will be unable to analyse language in the way that humans can.

One of the many restaurants in Udon is called แม่หยา which google translates to The Parent Drug. Maybe the result will be some really humorous signs in English popping up in town. For me, it'll be a tool to use....maybe no better no worse than a strict literal translation can do.

Hopefully it'll get better over time.

In retrospect I can see my post could be taken as disapproval, although the real reason is that I just happen to enjoy nonsense translations.

I didn't really mean to sound disparaging, so my apologies if the OP or anybody else took it that way.

I do think Google Translate is a great service, a few notches above most other automated translation solutions.

Thank you for posting this Insight, it will definitely come in handy for me and a lot of other people. :o

I noticed that this suffers from the same "tone marker blindness" that regular Google searching does, unfortunately. Ask it translate ชา and it returns "slow" instead of "tea", etc.

Presumably this is supposed to be a feature not a bug, so that a search for ใหม (not a word) would get translated as "new" (ใหม่) instead of nothing. But when these bad interpretations clobber real words, that's no good.

Very cool to have Thai added to Google Translate, though. I look forward to seeing it improve with time.

No worries Meadish. Translations such as "Wait for someone to be taken before the fermented fish and the better the event." are renewing my interest in the language :D

"god of the heavenly price." from your link is also a fantastic way of saying something is amazingly inexpensive. I actually think I will start using that, in English. :o

I am not surprised at this result. Look how difficult all the examples from newspapers are to us.

From a Thai language textbook and it did a perfect job. It took a space to be a full stop wrongly, but:

ดังนั้นผู้เขียนจึงควรมีความรู้ ความเข้าใจเกี่ยวกับองค์ประกอบของเรียงความ came out as:

'So the author should know. Understanding regards the composition of the essay. ' The first time I have known that เรียงความ is essay, I just call it a 'piece' in my mind. knowledge, understanding/ component parts arn't important.

Edited by tgeezer

I am not surprised at this result. Look how difficult all the examples from newspapers are to us.

From a Thai language textbook and it did a perfect job. It took a space to be a full stop wrongly, but:

ดังนั้นผู้เขียนจึงควรมีความรู้ ความเข้าใจเกี่ยวกับองค์ประกอบของเรียงความ came out as:

'So the author should know. Understanding regards the composition of the essay. ' The first time I have known that ความเขียน is essay, I just call it a 'piece' in my mind. knowledge, understanding/ component parts arn't important.

I believe this is the true meaning:

"For that reason, a writer ought to have knowledge and an understanding of essay elements."

You'd be hard pressed to guess this meaning from the translation given by google translate, so I think it's a bit of a stretch to call it a 'perfect job'.

Edited by aanon

You'd be hard pressed to guess this meaning from the translation given by google translate, so I think it's a bit of a stretch to call it a 'perfect job'.

Yours is the same. elements= composition, for that reason=so, Writer=author, I can work it out, most of us would see that 'knowledge' is required.

Don't forget it doesn't have to stand alone, you have the Thai there to help in understanding. I agree if your job is translation then they should find another name for the site, but what? Actually I think there must be a meaning for 'translation' which doesn't require good syntax, English in this case.

Edited by tgeezer

19:00 19:00. น. บรรจุกระดูก'ยอดรัก สลักใจ' ใต้หุ่นจำลองที่วัดไร่ขิง Am packing bone 'darling carved mind' under the measurement model farm ginger.

18:45 18:45. น. 'บ้านริมน้ำ'รับซบภูมิใจไทย PM 'Home Theater' proud to be Thai cuddle. เหตุเพื่อแผ่นดินแพแตก Why แพแตก to earth.

18:23 18:23. น. ตีปี๊บเคาะ30ล้านสร้างสภาใหม่ Am beating bucket percussion create 30 million new council. ส.ส.ปิ้งขอโรงแรมเพิ่ม S.s. increase broil for hotels.

18:00 18:00. น. ตร.นครศรีฯ รวบ'หนุ่ม พนม' มือปืนรับจ้างชื่อดัง Nakorn Sri Tr. am bagging the 'young mountain' famous mercenary gunman.

17:45 17:45. น. ฝากขังสองผัวเมียจัดสวิงกิ้ง PM leaves swing by impounding two spouses Europe. ค้านประกันหวั่นหลบหนี Escape of dreaded opposition.

17:30 17:30. น. ส.ว่ายน้ำสหรัฐฯ U.S. swimmer pm Sat. แบน'ฉลามเฟล์ปส' 3 เดือนสูบกัญชา Flat 'ฉลาม French Oil DPW' 3-month smoking marijuana.

17:20 17:20. น. อัยการเร่งขอที่อยู่ ทักษิณ หวังให้กลับมารับโทษ PM Thaksin is that prosecutors hope for accelerating the back pay.

17:15 17:15. น. โฆษกมาร์คซัดพท.จ้องป่วนสภาหวังขวางรบ.ทำงาน I am the spokesperson Mark beat you. Council forward lateral gaze be tumultuous battle. Work.

17:00 17:00. น. หุ้นปลายสัปดาห์ขยับปิดที่444.39จุดบวก10.95จุด Share am weekend closing movement plus 10.95 points to 444.39 points.

:o

I had pretty good results on the websites I went to, but your find gave me quite a laugh! Thanks for passing that along. Pretty amazing translator.

It is a very good and useful service.

I translate English to Thai, then back to English to check the results.

The problems I have found (for Google) comes from

plural words - make them singular and Google does better.

Lists with a b c at the beginning causes problems

Names do not get translated

Try the same phrase twice, Google does not produce the same result every time.

I start with the English phrase to Thai,

Copy the Thai to below the English, do swap and translate back to English.

If no good I fiddle with the English and translate again, add the new Thai back to the translate box and translate back to English.

I do this until I have a few Thai phrases being translated and one of them looks the best.

Takes a bit of time but since it takes between 2 and 7 days for me to get documents translated this is much faster. Took an hour to get a page done last night and the translation is OK, at least a Thai can understand it.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if Google will accept translations for Thai or English words so they can use them in their "translation" pages?

I ask because I was looking to confirm that กระหล่ำดาว was the Thai for "Brussels Sprouts", but all the Google translate pages came up with the same nonsense: "spot for athletic star".

Also, the two Thai to English web sites I use (thai2english.com and thai-language.com) don't have Brussels Sprouts either. (Are you reading this Mike & Glenn? :o )

Does anyone know if Google will accept translations for Thai or English words so they can use them in their "translation" pages?

I ask because I was looking to confirm that กระหล่ำดาว was the Thai for "Brussels Sprouts", but all the Google translate pages came up with the same nonsense: "spot for athletic star".

Also, the two Thai to English web sites I use (thai2english.com and thai-language.com) don't have Brussels Sprouts either. (Are you reading this Mike & Glenn? :o )

On Google translate, after the word/phrase is translated in the bottom right of the page there is an expandable box with the title "Suggest a better translation" where you can do just that.

On Google translate, after the word/phrase is translated in the bottom right of the page there is an expandable box with the title "Suggest a better translation" where you can do just that.

this is great however I would like to know if this English Thai translation is correct since I moved into this new condo on Sukhumvit soi 13 and each floor has a trashbin and people seem to be too lazy to walk ten feet and open bin and throw in, they seem to rather throw on floor and the Juristic people say they cannot force people to throw trash in bin or put security to watch on this floor. Amazing in an expensive condo and a new one people would risk rats, mice and bugs for a little walk to the bin on each floor?

Anyplace I could write this up?

ไม่มีขยะในชั้นกรุณาใส่ในถังขยะ. อย่าขี้คร้านหรือลามกนี้เรามีบ้าน. เราไม่ต้องการ Rats, Mice หรือวิกลจริต. หยุดมัน.

this is what Google translated it and I printed it and put up, the last one I put up they ripped down. Sad, but is this in Thai correct?

thanks in advance.

No Garbage on floor Please put in Trash. Do not be Lazy or filthy this is our home. We do not want Rats, Mice or Bugs. Stop it.

A good way to check the translation is to paste it back in and have it translate it back into English. In this case we get:

"Please no trash in the floor in the trash. Do not be lazy or obscene, we are home. We do not want to Rats, Mice or alienation. Stop it."

Clearly a lot is lost in translation!

I'd suggest this:

ขอความร่วมมือ กรุณาอย่าทิ้งขยะลงบนพื้น ช่วยกันทิ้งในถังขยะ อย่าเป็นคนขี้เกียจหรือมักง่าย ที่นี่คือบ้านของเรา เราไม่ต้องการให้มีหนูหรือแมลงในบ้าน

Literally:

Your cooperation is requested. Please do not throw trash on the floor. Let's put it in the trash can. Don't be lazy or thoughtless. This is our home. We do not want rats or insects in our home.

This is worded politely but strongly, which I think is what you're looking for. In particular, the inclusion of อย่าเป็นคนขี้เกียจหรือมักง่าย "don't be lazy or thoughtless" (I swapped thoughtless for filthy at my wife's suggestion, because it packs more of a punch in Thai). It will likely make the culprit feel embarrassed (and maybe angry). Again, probably what you want.

Thanks very much! I've not used the Google Translate page before ( http://translate.google.com/?hl=en ), but I did use the [Translate this page] link on the normal Google search results page.

I've just tried "Brussels Sprouts" on the Google Translate page and the Thai word they give is, in fact, "small cabbage": http://translate.google.com/translate_t?hl...ssels%20Sprouts

I'll use the "Contribute a better translation" link to put them straight.