Creating A Asian Bike Touring Website

Richard-BKK

In Thailand I expect some opposition to one of my latest idea. I'm going to host and support (biketouring.asia)

For now I calculated a budget to support Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laotian and Indonesian. And Japanese which I probably will do myself, in the current setup (looking for that).

What can I promise, my promise is 750 links motorcycle and automotive related, plus 350 travel Asia related. This is all from all unique domain names and countries and languages as I indicated. My goal is none commercial, the website will rent out some commercial space, hosting a high profile website costs money.

Anybody want to be moderator of some region or country can contact me...

The gauntlet is cast down! LOL!

From me, I'm not really doing back-flips but I expected something like this.

I looked into a web-project like this myself about 2 years ago.

The reasons I didn't go through with it is that I operate out of Thailand and decided to concentrate myself here and leave it at Thailand. That way all the stuff I get is my own and not someone elses (relying on others is chancy business out in Asia). The fact I'm building a diving site too doesn't leave me much time either but there you go, busy is best I always say :o

The trouble is there isn't a country in SE Asia that is as developed for bike touring as Thailand is. If you include all of Asia then you've got half the world (roughly to go on)

The material for road-tours and ease of travel, big bike availability etc are a lot more dense in LOS and Japan compared to Cambo, Vietnam and a lot of the other places in SE Asia etc.

HOWEVER if you're going to concentrate on off-roading then you are onto something there.

You'll be breaking into new territory if you get routes in Vietnam, Cambo and Laos revealed, so the kudos is there for the grabber on that one.

If more farang bikers out here can focus to gathering on a major forum and filtering down then the benefits will be for the good of all :D

Right now there is a dearth of biker sites and forums on the net.

A buddy of mine has just bought the domain rights to www.ontheroadasia.com and I know he won't be too impressed at another shark in the sea.

May the best site win / dominate on that one :D

But apart from mine, GT Rider and Superbike-forums there's no Thaivisa encompassing one, much less for Asia at this time.

Richards plan may galvanise anyone else into this maelstrom!

Do you plan to include existing urls like GT Rider etc on an inclusive basis or charging for space?

I look forward to seeing this website Richard! :D

Always welcome with more sites for biking, I do believe the GT-Rider must be one of the most comprehensive touring sites around though, I use it all the time all info on Thailand and countries next by is there, so it will be a lot of work to do for you Richard. Good luck...

Cheers Bard

In Thailand I expect some opposition to one of my latest idea. I'm going to host and support

Opposition from where?

There is no decent forum in English that covers Thailand.

With you all the way down the highway.....................

I can think of 3 similar sites that wont like more competition right off the bat. The primary one being GT-R.

Word of advice from someone whose hosted a few forums.. Dont have 10's of forums at first, stick to a limited amount to keep each one busy and easy to scan. Once you have traffic where the front page of a forum has more threads in a day then you can think of splitting.

Also use good forum SW, dont cheap out (tho phpBB3 is better than 2) VB or IPB are the leaders IMO.

I can think of 3 similar sites that wont like more competition right off the bat. The primary one being GT-R.

GT-Riders provides some good information, but they want to sell maps and tours and are biased towards northern Thailand.

This is a competitive world. I would mainly like to see

1. real routes published on the website, so that when I go to Udon for example, I can look up a few day trips.

2. up to date border crossing info and a forum dedicated to each border, so the latest info is published

GT-R has some old(ish) information on borders, but maybe it is still valid?

I cannot find any site with a few recommended routes from the locals. I have a few favourites from 50 to 300 kms which anybody visiting this area is unlikely to stumble on.

And I would recommend Malaysia to anyone, great motorways (not Thai-style motorways with noodle carts, cattle and pick-ups U-turning, but fast, clear and NO potholes), no tolls for motorcycles and the Cameroun Highlands is absolutely fantastic for twisting high quality mountain roads. If you have never been, then go..... I've had many happy trips there.

Malaysia is fantastic for bikers! In 8 years riding over there I covered every corner of the peninsular and Sabah (Borneo) with bike. Couple of phone calls and we get 2-3 dozen riders just like that, no politics and squabling.

More sites on Asian Bike Touring, the better. There is no such thing as competition.

I'm not picking a fight, I indeed looked at gt-rider.com but had some disbelief that all people are always positive ... Do they live in the same country we do?

I want and have no sensor for people who stay at a place, with the exception of rude words etc etc ... Other then some sponsors at other websites, when you fuc_k up you fuc_k up and it is public.... There is no excuse to cover it up and sure you cannot expect our website to cover-up the truth...

No huge task just huge undertaking, but then I not scared of big thinks. The down side is that in a week the Kawasaki user group has to get online... Which leaves me with a limited amount of workers for about 14 days.

Edited by Richard-BKK

Richard,

Its like speaking double dutch to me, I have no idea what this sort of thing involves. You have obviously been thinking about this for a while...or did you just pull those figures out of your hat?

Do you speak, read and write Japanese?

^well that is very impressive. Sorry, I am aware that your first language is NOT english, but I can't remember which one is. I am always impressed by people that are multi-lingual....something which Europeans are renowned for.

How long do you think it would take you to get this up and running Richard?

Neverdie , indeed I'm not from a country where English is the first language, I not even grown up in a country they speak English, but then I never visited my so-called native "original" country, other then being a tourist.

I am always impressed by people that are multi-lingual....something which Europeans are renowned for.

Hmm, I think we have to narrow that down to the Scandies and the Swiss who can often speak two languages.

Although the rest can often mutter a few words of English and understand the bordering country's language, multi-lingual is not really applicable. And then we come to the Brits, many of whom can't even speak English to a degree that foreigners can understand...

I mean, what would we call someone from Glasgow, or Geordieland who I can't understand? Not multi-lingual, nor mono-lingual so maybe SUB-LINGUAL is the term we need?

:o:D :D :D :D

Edited by 12DrinkMore

I'm not picking a fight, I indeed looked at gt-rider.com but had some disbelief that all people are always positive ... Do they live in the same country we do?

I want and have no sensor for people who stay at a place, with the exception of rude words etc etc ... Other then some sponsors at other websites, when you fuc_k up you fuc_k up and it is public.... There is no excuse to cover it up and sure you cannot expect our website to cover-up the truth...

Blimey, I don't quite get the gist of that.

The down side is that in a week the Kawasaki user group has to get online...

What is this? I seem to have missed something. What have you got up your sleeve?

Disagree with you totally 12.

I know a Danish girl who can speak, french, german, english & a couple of others I cant think of.

I recently met a frenchman who lives in bkk, he speaks reads and writes, french, english, german, thai & lao.

I have met many Germans that speak numerous languages & I use to know a fellow from Switzerland who spoke about 5 or 6 languages.

Naturally the POMMES only winge in one tone & one language & I agree with what you say about them :o

and Sabah (Borneo) with bike.

How did you get the bike over there? I wanted to go, but there is just too much water in the way...

I lived in Kota Kinabalu 1 year. You can transfer bike and car by cargo ship or airplane.

And have it be known, cro doesnt mess around when it comes to taking bikes away....HE ONLY HAS BIG ONES :o

Disagree with you totally 12.

I know a Danish girl who can speak, french, german, english & a couple of others I cant think of.

I recently met a frenchman who lives in bkk, he speaks reads and writes, french, english, german, thai & lao.

I have met many Germans that speak numerous languages & I use to know a fellow from Switzerland who spoke about 5 or 6 languages.

Naturally the POMMES only winge in one tone & one language & I agree with what you say about them :o

Aaah, but we partly agree, the Scandies and the Swiss are pretty good at languages.

There are of course exceptions, but they, in this case, do not prove the rule. One Frenchman in BKK speaking numerous languages is very much the exception amongst the many Francais that I have met. And also amongst the Germans I certainly know a few who can express themselves in other languages, and the vast majority have a smattering of English, but certainly, IMO, not fluent.

And we totally agree about the Pommes, but there are a few who are fluent in other languages, like, er, me! :wai:

And while we are on the subject, howsabout the Pommes who end up speaking "bar girl English" in Thailand when they address the love of their life? Now I can cope with it when a non-English speaker communicates in English. But for me there is absolutely no excuse for a Brit to come out with utter cr&p such as

"me hungry, we go eat now"

"you wait, I fetch motosai"

"him no good"

"you go shop, me wait here"

etc etc

I think it has already been christened as "Tarzan" English.

:D :D :D :D