Condo Charges

cmsally

Have a friend who's thinking of renting or maybe buying a condo here. I have no idea about condos but just wondered what the average charge was for the monthly maintenance fee as well charge per unit for electricity & water. A bit difficult for us to work out what is expensive and what cheap when we have no idea of the average.

A big help if you could include what charges are relevant for what building, so we know which building is more expensive and which cheapest.

Also while we are at it , which condos have the best management and whether there are any that should be avoided because of horrendous management.

Have a friend who's thinking of renting or maybe buying a condo here. I have no idea about condos but just wondered what the average charge was for the monthly maintenance fee as well charge per unit for electricity & water. A bit difficult for us to work out what is expensive and what cheap when we have no idea of the average.

A big help if you could include what charges are relevant for what building, so we know which building is more expensive and which cheapest.

Also while we are at it , which condos have the best management and whether there are any that should be avoided because of horrendous management.

For the best managed condo in Chiang Mai, Floral would be hard to beat. (I don't live there)

There are some shyt managed condos in Chiang Mai (probably that should read all over Thailand)

The management are running their own little enterprises (letting out parking spaces, letting out condos and not paying the absentee condo owners, running real estate businesses i.e. letting condos and pocketing the letting fee, likewise selling condos and pocketing the commissions, managers running their own little empires. You name it and if there is money to be skimmed off it will have been done)

Regarding monthly fees, they range generally from 12-13 baht to 20 baht a m2/month (Twin Peaks is way higher) The average is 15-16 baht.

Likewise with electricity and water charges, some add a mark up of 10% or more and some charge residents at cost (as they should) Floral, Rimping, 103, Riverside, Embassy Suites add no mark up.

If thinking of buying check out a few things up front (are their any delinquent owners "those not paying their condo fees" and, I know of some who have not paid for 12 ++ YEARS, is the building insured? many are not, are there sufficient parking spaces for all residents "many do not have", do the management present a financial statement annually?, some have not for 15 years, is there a management committee "a functioning management committee" many do not have. The list goes on ad infinitum)

Do I own a condo? yes!, am I a happy condo owner? not really!

Do your homework before making a decision.

Edited by john b good

As far as I know maintenance fee never includes internet nor TV. Some buildings are set up for certain services (ie the lines/cables of certain companies run there) but you have to get connected/ pay yourself.

This is based on my experience in BKK where I have a condo.

There is maintenance fee, then water & elec. (charged at cost rate for me in BKK), internet service, telephone and whatever TV you have extra to local.

The reason I was asking was to find out general info. and have been surprised to hear some condos here charge extra for water and elec. I thought that was the whole idea of living in a condo , ie to avoid the fees of serviced apartments and the like.

As far as I know maintenance fee never includes internet nor TV. Some buildings are set up for certain services (ie the lines/cables of certain companies run there) but you have to get connected/ pay yourself.

This is based on my experience in BKK where I have a condo.

There is maintenance fee, then water & elec. (charged at cost rate for me in BKK), internet service, telephone and whatever TV you have extra to local.

The reason I was asking was to find out general info. and have been surprised to hear some condos here charge extra for water and elec. I thought that was the whole idea of living in a condo , ie to avoid the fees of serviced apartments and the like.

cmsally, i am living in a house, but i have heard that Karnkanok condos are well-managed.

Anyone staying in any of K. condos care to comment?

Cheers!

I know that Hillside 4 common fee area is 810 baht for simple studio room 49 sq. meter.cable tv. 200 baht water not much electricity is government rate.

Management group are quite good and look like they have all kind of service in building, but internet not so good and a bit too pricy. You can have your own contact for internet ISP provider. Front desk are nice people and good service.

Riverside is similar fee, cable tv 350 baht service are not that much.

Twin peak is nearly double from Hillside 4, Peak Garden is worse.

Found out last week that Punna condos off or Niminhamin are 30/m2. Thats starting to get expensive.

Wow that's about twice what seems to be average - ie 15Bt/ sqm

Actually I saw Punna for the first time about a month ago while looking around the neighbouring Hillside 3 with my friend. Previously I had seen only the billboards and adverts. I must say I thought it wasn't nearly as posh as the adverts portray. I thought it looked more like an upmarket hor pak (monthly rental apartments).

Anyone have any experience of Doi Ping Mansion (near Alliance Francaise)? Similar location to Twin Peaks but the "Peaks" seem rather expensive.