Does This Mean Net Neutrality Is Going Away

livinthailandos

Ok so i'm sure there has been numerous articles on this I just wonder if this is more or less a start to net neutrality going away and eventually having to pay for content. The article is from wired

<h1 id="articlehed">ESPN to ISPs: Pay for Your Customers to Play Video</h1>

http://blog.wired.com/business/2009/02/espn-stands-fir.html

i will do more research on this but just reading this makes me wonder though about internet usage for the future, we already have internet bandwidth caps in many countries

This appears to be the opposite of what the net neutrality laws are aiming for.

So many of us use the net for getting our television content though, so you have to hand it to ESPN for being on the cutting edge, which is the complete opposite of how the music recording industry has been going about things. A bit cheeky for ESPN to come up with such a scheme IMO since I'm sure it's a pretty low percentage of users that would actually use the service, and the ISP's are forking out the money for the huge bandwidth customers use when viewing it. The usage caps make the outcome of this even more unpredictable. I can't believe ESPN wouldn't make more money putting ads in the content or charging the users for premium content/quality. Seems an odd way to go about things.