Getting Your Deposit Back When Renting An Apartment

I will soon be giving notice on my apartment to end the one year contract. The owner is okay, i have never had problems with her but i just need to check all the boxes and make sure i do things the right way to protect my deposit.

My question is basically this; the electric and telephone bills arrive mid month, my contract ends on the first of the month, when i plan to return the keys and move out. I don't believe the owner will give me my deposit back before the bills have all been paid.

What's the norm here in Thailand? How is this usually settled?

Thanks in advance

Lucky? Rented from decent people? Treated my landlords with respect and insisted on the same?

(or simply it is actually the most common result of being a good tenant)

I agree. That goes a long way. I have had good relations with the owner, never had any problems and ALWAYS pay the rent on time. But one still has to think ahead.

As with many/most things in TV, the question has already been asked and answered. Scroll back through the last 2-3 pages of threads in this sub-forum and you will find a long-running and informative thread .. something like "rental deposits only going one way in thailand". Lots of good tips there

Lucky? Rented from decent people? Treated my landlords with respect and insisted on the same?

(or simply it is actually the most common result of being a good tenant)

I agree. That goes a long way. I have had good relations with the owner, never had any problems and ALWAYS pay the rent on time. But one still has to think ahead.

Although it pains me to say so (Jd) Id agree :o , if you take care of my condos you will get your money back ( sheesh does that make me decent), if you leave it like a shi*hole you'll be in for a long long wait.

Also sticking by the rules you have signed helps, I had a Thai woman try and rent recently my wife told her it was no smoking in the condo, she said ok followed by "if I have friends visit can they smoke"....... doh!!!!

Weve been asked for Barbecues on the balcony too!!.... balcony is about 1.2M by 1.4metres enough for drying clothes.

I recently asked a lawyer in Bangkok whether the new Escrow Act could be applied

to rental deposits and this was his reply to me :-

Can the escrow provisions be applied to rental deposits where a condominium is rented out?

This is in light of an increasing number of complaints that landlords in Bangkok unjustifiably

keeps the deposits. Or does the Escrow Act in Thailand only apply to the purchase

of real estate?

Answer from the lawyer-

The Act itself is quite general when it comes to its actual application. It could potentially

apply to a number of arrangements where a third party agent is necessary and it’s up to

the Escrow Agent’s discretion on what they will offer. The Act really just defines the role

of an escrow agent more than anything else and it hasn’t made it compulsory which is

posing somewhat of a problem.

So in theory there is no excuse from now on - you could make the holding

of a deposit by an Escrow Agent a condition of the lease.

I also think it would be a good test - if the owner shows an open mind

you would at least know the chances are they dont have any bad intention

wheras if they object immediately - you can guess they were planning

all along to include your deposit as part of their rental " return " :o

I will soon be giving notice on my apartment to end the one year contract. The owner is okay, i have never had problems with her but i just need to check all the boxes and make sure i do things the right way to protect my deposit.

My question is basically this; the electric and telephone bills arrive mid month, my contract ends on the first of the month, when i plan to return the keys and move out. I don't believe the owner will give me my deposit back before the bills have all been paid.

What's the norm here in Thailand? How is this usually settled?

Thanks in advance

In my experience you do not have a hope in hel_l of getting the full deposit back whether you are a good tenant or not. My best from 3 rentals was around 30% and i had to wait 3 months for that. Seems to be the norm here, so arrange a plan 'B'

Cheers, Rick

• 1 month later...

Like in europe, you should have a signed paper from both (the owner & you) that explains clearly that you have payed XXXTHB deposit.

So when you check out and want your deposit back you just show the paper, if they don't want to give back your deposit you can go to the police and they will help you getting it back.

Ever tried to squeeze blood from a turnip?

The only hope of seeing anything is to screw the landlord before you get screwed.

If they're absolutely determined to jam you, pour quick-setting cement into every drain on your way out.

Don't forget to smile.

• 4 months later...
Ever tried to squeeze blood from a turnip?

The only hope of seeing anything is to screw the landlord before you get screwed.

If they're absolutely determined to jam you, pour quick-setting cement into every drain on your way out.

Don't forget to smile.

I am afraid that the security staff would have been called, and you would not be able to get out.

This is a really crappy thing about renting here....Landlords know they can bank on keeping everything you've ever paid them with almost no chance for you to recover. The sheer cost/hassle of trying to get it back prevents most from even trying.

In my case, I was a excellent tenant (you'll just have to take my word for it) for 7 years on the property of a multi-millionaire 70year old Chinese-Thai Landlord on Suk. 38. We were well connected (well, my gf was but I was on good terms too) with all the maids / security / handymen that worked on the property so we heard all the gossip / horror stories of tenants getting screwed out of most of their deposits (if not all). Deposits are 2 months rent....

In advance, I timed it so that when my next months rent was due, I didn't pay it. Then 1 week+ (can't remember exactly) later, I gave 30 days notice. I took the risk he wouldn't cut off my electric and played some hard luck story about having to move out due to financial difficulty, blah blah....all the time being respectful, polite, etc. so no one would lose face. Also told my GF to keep her mouth shut about where we were actually moving (to a new condo I bought) and gave some BS story to all that we were moving into cheaper digs.

I don't like lying but this seems to be the rules here for the most part (lived here 12 years) when dealing with landlords who hold all the power. We hadn't damaged anything (except normal wear / tear for 7 years without any type of overhaul by landlord in all that time) and were always liked by all. In the end, I timed it and measured my electric so I actually owed him around 500 thb (my rent was 20k/month) for electric, etc. on my moving day. I paid the guard as our taxi was leaving...

My Landlord did corner me to discuss my moving, rent etc. a few days before my moving date and at this time I realized just how shrewd / slightly shady he actually was at this game. He complained that even though I gave 30 days notice on a month to month contract (actually my contract had expired years ago and he had raised my rent 25% the previous year.......after other increases prior), that I couldn't calculate my last months rent on a daily rate and I had to pay the full month (ie. our rent due on 17th of each month in advance so if you moved out on 18th then you would still be liable for that full month in advance EVEN though you gave 30 days notice)....ridiculous. FYI, his units are in high demand / high Japanese area and my unit was already rented out a few days into my notice period!

He also mentioned that I had to pay a cleaning fee (not in any contract) even though he hadn't done any cleaning / painting in my crappy old building that would leak water from monsoons in 7 years! Ok, cutting this shorter than the long post it already is, I waied him, spoke very politely and allowed him to play his games while I played my "sad story" and told him I would pay him exactly what I owed him and couldn't afford to pay anything more......

Stupid I know, but I ended up being a rare (non-Thai) exception in not getting screwed over on my deposit. My next door neighbors (Brits) who were moving out shortly after me were too scared to play this game and already accepted / knew they would lose their full deposit (only having lived there 1 year).

Sorry for the long post but hope someone can take advantage of it. I've lived here 12 years and know countless people who have been screwed over on their deposits.....even by Farang landlords who play the Thai game. Forget what anyone tells you about legal recourse, police helping you, etc.....they have no idea on how things really work here. I guess if are renting from a legit business / organization then you might want to play it straight but if you are renting from individuals then there is no actual (real) law / order to protect you IMO.

I have rented two houses. First in Pattaya for 2 years, 2 months deposit on a monthly rent of 25k. Second one in Banchang for 1.3 years, 2 month deposit rent of 13k per month. Both landlords were a Thai women married to a Japanese men. Coincidence about that.

First rental we had an excellent relationship with the landlord to the point of some small entertaining in a group setting and dinners. Second landlord lived in Japan most of the time and visited once during rental period. Good relationship but hardly friends.

In both cases we got the full deposit returned. First one allowed us to use deposit as rent on the last two months. Second returned the cash a week after we moved.

So not all landlords are scumbags

In my first condo I informed the owner that I was going to move 1 month before, I paid the rent as normal and cleared all bills on the day, the owners daughter turned up at the appointed time and gave me my full deposit.

In my second condo, again informed the owner that I was leaving at the end of the month, I had already canceled my own telephone line, paid up, on the final day (last day of the month, rent due date), the owner checked the electricity and water meters with me, we then sat down and we calculated the difference between the deposit and monies due (rent and rates), then I was given the cash.

Never had a problem, have looked after the places I have lived in, always paid my rent on time.

A mate of mine lived in the same complex, when he left he had to pay, as he used the deposit for his last months rent, but his bills (water and electricity) plus damages were more, so he had to pay. He left the place in sh*t state. He was always overdue for his rent.

Now I own 2 places and am gonna rent them one day, but I will actually put the deposit money in a savings account where it can earn interest, this is the norm in Europe.

Edited by beano2274

As with many/most things in TV, the question has already been asked and answered. Scroll back through the last 2-3 pages of threads in this sub-forum and you will find a long-running and informative thread .. something like "rental deposits only going one way in thailand". Lots of good tips there

This is the thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Rental-Depos...nd-t222857.html

good luck, unfortunately its all too often you get screwed over , the landlord spent the bond , they pull you up on a technicality . some renters deliberately dont pay the last months rent for this reason .

I think that's a perfect solution. Deposits are very high sometimes.

You're in Thailand my friend..you ain't getting anything back. First reply knew this and acted accordingly. You do the same. Best bet.. if you have at TGF or equivalent...tell her, sister, family whatever, they can have 75% of whatever deposit they can get. If you get the other other 25% consider yourself lucky. They can spend their time pestering the holy shit out of the LL for that 75%...and they will!! It just isn't worth your aggravation. You will be strung along for months...guaranteed!

You're in Thailand my friend..you ain't getting anything back. First reply knew this and acted accordingly. You do the same. Best bet.. if you have at TGF or equivalent...tell her, sister, family whatever, they can have 75% of whatever deposit they can get. If you get the other other 25% consider yourself lucky. They can spend their time pestering the holy shit out of the LL for that 75%...and they will!! It just isn't worth your aggravation. You will be strung along for months...guaranteed!

That's it....I am moving out of Thailand.

If I ever come back for long stay, I will stay at a serviced apartment.