Turkeys

lukey1979

I'm looking at buying a few live turkeys to spicen up my mealtimes here in Issan, My Yank mates have informed me that marinated and deep fried in peanut oil they are superb.

I live in Surin, doe's anybody know where i could purchase the gobbling birds alive?

Whilst on the subject i went looking for Peanut oil in Big C but to no avail, In the land where peanuts are grown is there seldom any peanut oil sold?

Cheers.

Luke.

I'm looking at buying a few live turkeys to spicen up my mealtimes here in Issan, My Yank mates have informed me that marinated and deep fried in peanut oil they are superb.

I live in Surin, doe's anybody know where i could purchase the gobbling birds alive?

Whilst on the subject i went looking for Peanut oil in Big C but to no avail, In the land where peanuts are grown is there seldom any peanut oil sold?

Cheers.

Luke.

Sounds like a trip to BKK,to me Luke

Dave

Cheers.

Luke.

Try Soi Kola.

John.....

deep frying turkey in the south (USA). makes a really great meal but i would NOT do it, a very dangerous process unless u are equipped to do it right and take all the correct precautions. Many double wides have been burned to ashes as a result of deep frying turkey in oil.

my village is small and some one has a couple of turkeys. If they are in my village they must be easy to buy around Buriram. Asked my wife she thinks they are from a dealer down from the train station(to the left as u leave the station. if u want i will try to remember to ask next time i go to town

i was certain frozen turkeys were at Big C, Makro or taweekits here in Buriram

Cheers.

Luke.

My wife tells me that peanut oil can be found on any market where they sell cooking oil.

Although, some time ago I bought a big bottle in Tesco.

As well as I can put it down phonetically: Na man tua

I had a couple dozen turkeys in Loei province. They looked exactly like the ones in the pictures. There must be several different breeds and I had the wrong breed. I can assure that mine were every bit as tough as the village range chickens. The Thais don't like to eat them and no way would I have sold one to any friend of mine. My wife got to eating the eggs and wouldn't allow the hens to sit on any eggs. We had an awful time getting rid of them and this New Years we got rid of the last pair. The only way to eat them is to make laap out of them.

They are very easy to raise but they are noisy and were fond of sitting on top of my car and truck. Their claws are like nails and they scratch the paint. No more turkeys for me.

deep frying turkey in the south (USA). makes a really great meal but i would NOT do it, a very dangerous process unless u are equipped to do it right and take all the correct precautions. Many double wides have been burned to ashes as a result of deep frying turkey in oil.

my village is small and some one has a couple of turkeys. If they are in my village they must be easy to buy around Buriram. Asked my wife she thinks they are from a dealer down from the train station(to the left as u leave the station. if u want i will try to remember to ask next time i go to town

i was certain frozen turkeys were at Big C, Makro or taweekits here in Buriram

Having cooked several in the States with this method, I can not Warn you enough.... Check the internet for proper directions and what equipment is required, and follow those directions to the letter.... I have on two occasions had the birds go in and a mushroom cloud of Hot Oil, Smoke and Flames shoot out the top of the pot.... Plus I always used the standard "Norbest" / "Butterball" ect, never used a Wild or Free Range bird... I did try to Roast one of the local Turkeys several years ago, and just wasted the time, effort and ingredients... It was the toughest, most tasteless thing I have every eaten...

Pianoman

Edited by pianoman

I had a couple dozen turkeys in Loei province. They looked exactly like the ones in the pictures. There must be several different breeds and I had the wrong breed. I can assure that mine were every bit as tough as the village range chickens. The Thais don't like to eat them and no way would I have sold one to any friend of mine. My wife got to eating the eggs and wouldn't allow the hens to sit on any eggs. We had an awful time getting rid of them and this New Years we got rid of the last pair. The only way to eat them is to make laap out of them.

They are very easy to raise but they are noisy and were fond of sitting on top of my car and truck. Their claws are like nails and they scratch the paint. No more turkeys for me.

With all tough old birds, the solution is to boil them first (a pressure cooker for smaller birds) then roast them. Usually very succulent, and generally have more flavour than the ready roasters.

Long way North of you in Nakhon Phanom there are maybe 6 turkey farms both black and white variety. We have had a few and they are really tasty. If you want me to enquire about obtaining chicks locally or if they have contacts near to Surin contact my email address.

Long way North of you in Nakhon Phanom there are maybe 6 turkey farms both black and white variety. We have had a few and they are really tasty. If you want me to enquire about obtaining chicks locally or if they have contacts near to Surin contact my email address.

If you insist that the birds near you are really tasty then i will be in touch shortly. Cheers mate.

If you insist that the birds near you are really tasty then i will be in touch shortly. Cheers mate.

Check the internet for proper directions and what equipment is required, and follow those directions to the letter....

DO NOT....... I REPEAT, DO NOT Drop a frozen turkey into hot oil.

In my opinion deep fried turkey in peanut oil with a good spice rub should turn out with light crisp skin that is flavor filled & juicy. Remember 1 thing if you eat to much the tryptophan will kick in and you'll soon be enjoying a nice nap.