Thai Driving Licence

Samuiclaudia

We are a company operating in Samui and some of our Farang employees need to get a Thai driving licence.

We have tried getting an English copy of the Highway Code from the Vehicle Licencing Authority over here but to no avail.

Can anyone help us to get this information?

Thank you :o

Highway code=

A ) Biggest automobile always has right of way

B ) Farang always wrong

C ) Pedestrians= 10 points

D ) Overtake wherever there is an open space

E ) Traffic lights are for decoration(like christmas trees!)

F ) Speed limit = 120 km in the city and 45 km on the highway :o

Highway code=

A) Biggest automobile always has right of way

:o Farang always wrong

C) Pedestrians= 10 points

D) overtake wherever there is an open space

E) Traffic lights are for decoration(like christmas trees!)

F) Speed limit = 120 km in the city and 45 km on the highway :D

G) "Right of way" is always" Left out"

H) One way streets don't count if riding a Motorbike ( at least in the North).

I) No more than 4 (of anything, people, Tv's etc) on an old 50cc Vespa.

j) Traffic officer = 1000 points & 200Bt Fine.

K) Motorbikes always move to the front of the line at traffic stops.

And from one of Stickman's Readers Submissions:

The following is a “reference” to Thai road rules. I have no idea who wrote it or indeed where I picked it up so if anyone reading it is the author please let me know so you can be credited with the composition. While it has its fun side I am sure that some long term residents will have experienced or at least witnessed most of its content.

RULES OF THE ROAD IN THAILAND

In order to successfully drive a motor vehicle in Thailand you must understand the transportation gestalt in an entirely different way. Definitions which you once thought were above definition will be immediately re-defined.

Please note the following:

THE ROAD

The road includes not only the paved portion of the highway, but also what we might call the verge, the curb, the sidewalk, the front yard, the roadside footstalls and the Wat. The paved portion of the roadway is generally one lane wide. Not one lane wide in each direction – just one lane.

ROAD MARKINGS

These colorful white and yellow lines mark the center of the lanes and are especially useful on dark and rainy nights.

PASSING OR OVERTAKING

Passing or overtaking is the national pastime in Thailand. Observant motorists among you may have encountered the following:

1. The Vertical Triple Maneuver

The act of passing three vehicles in one accelerated movement.

2. The Horizontal Triple Maneuver

The act of passing a vehicle that in itself is in the act of passing another vehicle.

3. The Double, Double Maneuver

The act of passing a vehicle at precisely the same time that another vehicle, coming from the opposite direction, is also engaged in the act of passing.

TAILGATING

Tailgating is what you do when not overtaking.

BEING OVERTAKEN

The act of being overtaken is an insult not to be endured. The greater the differential between the vehicle being passed (BMW) and the passing vehicle (pickup or a low ranking saloon) the greater the potential loss of prestige and face. The owner of the more expensive vehicle must always do everything possible to thwart the attempt of the less expensive vehicle attempting to overtake.

HEADLIGHTS

Rapidly flashing headlights can mean anything including but not limited to the following:

• OK to pass now.

• Do not pass now

• Get out of my way

• Help, I am in trouble

It takes years or sometimes an entire lifetime to learn this subtle, intriguing, and non-verbal communication skill. Generally however, you have three seconds

THE HORN

When sounded loudly and frequently, the horn sets up an invisible energy barrier protecting the vehicle and its passengers from all harm. The faster the vehicle is traveling, the better the horn works.

SEAT BELTS

Not only are seatbelts not worn, seatbelts are absolutely unnecessary. Driver and passengers are protected by the horn.

HAZARDS

Motorcycles will appear from nowhere and are to be treated with absolute and complete disregard. Animals on the other hand must be treated with great respect. It is presumed that highly evolved creatures like water buffalos, prized bulls, cows, chickens and ducks know how to sidestep a modern vehicle travelling at 150 Km. per hour on a rain slicked road. Dogs born in Thailand on the other hand possess an inbred instinct to leap in front of a speeding vehicle.

ACCIDENTS

Accidents are rare in Thailand and are usually the result of a malfunctioning horn. Be aware that most heavy vehicle drivers if involved in a serious accident will immediately leave the scene of and run to the nearest police station to inform them of the accident. This age old practice is commonly known as “fleeing the scene”

LIGHTS

Lights on vehicles are not needed especially at night as they are a drain on the battery. The larger the vehicle (10 wheeled truck, bus, etc.) the less need for illuminating it. Motorcycle riders are presumed to have 20/20 vision in the dark and are immune to all other traffic on the road. If lights are used however, at least one headlight must be pointing in the air. This will ensure that low flying aircraft are detected and will have the added advantage of blinding on-coming drivers.

INSURANCE

It is recommended that others purchase insurance. This will ensure that any foreigner involved in an accident will be in a position to take the blame and let the insurance company pay for any damage to both vehicles as well as all hospital bills.

It's a very observant piece of writing! I'm glad that I'm not the only one who wonders why 75% of all tuk-tuks in Phuket have the off-side headlight pointing straight at you. Is it some kind of code? ...So other tuk-tuks know it's a tuk-tuk coming in the other direction? Or maybe they're just too lazy to keep switching from head beam to dipped, so they have one of each all the time?

Another good reason to get a couple of 100 watt spots on the front of my pick-up :o