Trekking And Walking Routes In The Mountains

femi fan

I'm keen to start availing myself more of the beautiful scenery in chiang mai's mountains by doing more walking and trekking (and in practice for a trip to nepal). All i've seen on the net so far are companies aimed at tourists and 3000 baht a pop for an organised walk for one day.

Anybody know any trails, websites with maps, anything in fact to do with where to walk and enjoy the mountain scenery? I'm vaguely aware of being able to walk from montatarn waterfalls up to the temple on doi suthep for example. Anyone done this, or any other walks that are easy to follow?

There's a hiking group affiliated with the Expat's club:

http://www.chiangmaiexpatsclub.com/groups.asp

I believe they do hikes of 2-4 hours most Sundays (I think this Sunday will be one of the few with no hike).

Unfortunately, hiking in CM is best from November through mid February when it's dry and cool, although I'm sure a few from that group probably hike year round.

I'm keen to start availing myself more of the beautiful scenery in chiang mai's mountains by doing more walking and trekking (and in practice for a trip to nepal). All i've seen on the net so far are companies aimed at tourists and 3000 baht a pop for an organised walk for one day.

Anybody know any trails, websites with maps, anything in fact to do with where to walk and enjoy the mountain scenery? I'm vaguely aware of being able to walk from montatarn waterfalls up to the temple on doi suthep for example. Anyone done this, or any other walks that are easy to follow?

Get to Huay Tung Taow. It's north along the canal road about 5km from the Huay Kaew junction. The walk around the lake is beautiful and must be a couple of km. There's a 5km exercise track close by. Also, there are hill-tribe trails that climb all the way to Doi Pui. It's also possible (but very difficult) to walk right across to Doi Suthep.

Behind the 700 year stadium are many mountain bike trails left over from the 1998 Asean Games.

Yes; either from the soi that starts at the end of Suthep road and also leads past the back-entrance to the zoo, or from Huay Tueng Thao. The latter is a bigger unpaved road, the former is walking only.

Or you could start at Montrathan Falls, there's a path that starts there as well.

To the original poster: 3000 baht a day is steep, but you'd expect that just looking at companies being on the internet. Locally for 3000 baht it'd be a couple days. (2-3). Usually what adds cost is the fun extras, not the hiking; things like elephants, rafting, etc.

If you search for the thread "Strange Sign": posted by Puwa on 23 January (its on PAGE 8)you will find a few good google photos of the HUAY TUNG THAO LAKE area helpfully pinpointing the spot you start the walk up to Doi Suthep. Its a dirt track starting at the NE point of the Lake where you will see the excavated area on the right and maybe a few guys propping up a sentry post. It goes past the entrance to the Doi Suthep National Park (don't go in and just kick the dogs) all the way up and in some parts is so deeply ravined that it deserves to become a tourist attraction in its own right. I walked it the day after cobrasnake posted the photos and its a good long trek. Not much scenery as its mostly enclosed by trees. The second half is much more interesting with great views of the cultivated valleys.

It might help to say you just keep walking straight ahead taking none of the few forks veering right or left.If you do feel an inclination to veer left because it looks like the proper track; resist it; go straight ahead. There are no helpful signs as I remember until you come across a sign "Chiang Mai 13kms" and a few other signs about teak trails. Turn left here and you come to a small tarmac road and an imposing wooden Archway.I assumed this was the end but I could be mistaken. Doi Suthep may well have been another 4kms. I was too exhausted to explore further. There is a Camping ground somewhere up there. I certainly could not have walked to Doi Pui. Would love to know how you get on if you attempt this walk and also anything else you find out in answer to your question. I've not discovered any maps with walking trails though I've been told DK books may stock some.

As for the Phalad Nature trail which you approach from the small road, on the right, at the end of Suthep Road going past the back of the Zoo and along to a TV station , where the trail begins; its a very pleasant 25/30 minute hike up to the delightful Wat Fahin/Phalad presently being renovated by CM University.Once at the Wat you can scramble up to the main road but I've never found a continuing trail up to Doi Suthep. A monk told me "you just follow the stream" ; hmmmm. Perhaps you could discover the route and post it here. I'm sceptical myself.

Edited by Asmerom

There's a book called something like "Mountain Biking Around Chiang Mai" by Pete Devakul which has a number of excellent hand-drawn maps of biking trails on doi suthep-pui. GPS coordinates and everything. those are the only good maps i've seen, and with a little imagination could be adapted to hiking. i bought a copy at surawongse several years ago.

Edited by Puwa

There's a book called something like "Mountain Biking Around Chiang Mai" by Pete Devakul which has a number of excellent hand-drawn maps of biking trails on doi suthep-pui. GPS coordinates and everything. those are the only good maps i've seen, and with a little imagination could be adapted to hiking. i bought a copy at surawongse several years ago.

Amazingly i have this book! You've just reminded me of this forgotten fact. I did buy it a few years ago too with the intention of really getting some use out of my then new bike. I've now dug it out and maybe you have helped me answer my own OP!

• 2 years later...

Amazingly i have this book! You've just reminded me of this forgotten fact. I did buy it a few years ago too with the intention of really getting some use out of my then new bike. I've now dug it out and maybe you have helped me answer my own OP!

I can't seem to find a copy of this book anymore :-( Been to all the big book stores in CM also some of the MTB shops. If anyone knows where I can get a copy please let me know