Best Value Meal In Bangkok

onethailand

Shabu shabu or sukiyaki -- at Niku's, Emporium Mall, 5th floor towards the back beyond Burger King. Lunch special sets baht 169 for pork shabu shabu, to baht 199 for beef sukiyaki, but after adding a coke plus service charge/tax, the 169 baht comes to about 250 baht. Ingredients very fresh. Daily from 10 am to 4 pm for the lunch specials. Good value if you enjoy shabu shabu or sukiyaki. Regular dinner menu not that good a deal, about 400 baht for buffet sukiyaki.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the category of bakeries, noticed yesterday that the bakery shop inside the Ambassador Hotel (Sukhumvit Soi 11) is advertising half off all their products daily from 5 pm onward for takeout.... and the original prices are pretty reasonable as it is... Haven't tried their fare lately, though...

post-53787-1237010559_thumb.jpg

Edited by jfchandler

I made the mistake of having the 99THB breakfast at MM's. The "soda bread" was a single piece of white toast. The sausages were foul-tasting, and no bigger than the tips of my fingers. Perhaps I was eating the tips of someone's fingers - the sausages were horrible. The bacon was nearly raw. The meal was served on a plate covered with grease. Absolute cr@p.

Since I was the one who posted about it based on their advertisement, but hadn't tried it myself yet, I felt compelled based on the comment above to try the 99 baht breakfast special on offer now at Molly Malone's pub on Soi Convent in Silom. And, contrary to the experience above, I had a very nice, satisfying, perfectly prepared breakfast there at a great price. No complaints whatsoever.

post-53787-1235354773_thumb.jpg

As the photo above attests, they served up a very good portion of eggs, which I ordered and received scrambled. One normal size sausage link, (unless one has enormously long finger tips), and two strips of bacon hiding under the fried hash browns patty. One slice of white bread toast (not sure if it was "soda" bread or not) and butter. And a large pot of boiling hot tea. Everything was well-cooked and there wasn't a hint of any grease on my plate, except for a bit that came off the bacon. Prompt and pleasant service. Total bill with tax.... 106 baht.

Certainly would order it again, any time I'm hungry for breakfast in the Silom area...

nothing wrong with that by the looks of it and well priced too ............

For those among us who appreciate Thai khanom jin (Thai rice noodles served with a variety of sauces and vegetables), there is a new khanom jin buffet restaurant on the 5th floor of MBK that's offering a 59 baht "all you can eat" deal.

In English, the place is called Chaowdin Buffet, and it's an open air place just opposite MBK's so-called international food court. Your choice of 59 baht for all you can eat, or 40 baht for a single plate. Probably about 8 different pots of sauces/toppings to choose from, along with all the various smaller bowls of chopped and sliced vegetables and flavorings to add alongside.

We had lunch there the other day, and it was perfectly satisfactory. The big containers of toppings were heavy on sauces and light on meats, except for the gang keow wan gai (green chicken curry), which was pretty substantial. But we tried several different toppings and all manners of accompanying vegetables, and came away pleasantly filled for a very modest price.

See their advertisement and menu below...

post-53787-1237127884_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1237127901_thumb.jpg

Ahh, My Nairai pizza advice was good so someone even started a new thread about it :o .

Everything is good at Narai, except the pizza.

That is so true - their pasta is really quite good, especially for the price.

I used to go to Century almost every day as my office was almost next to it - the food hall downstairs is not bad too, and cheap. There are two Japanese-style places on the second storey (behind the coffee place, near Santa Fe Steakhouse). The one on the left is like a carbon copy of Fuji at slightly reduced prices. The one on the right is a Japanese-style BBQ place - I have not been there for a while because although the food is really quite good, in the evenings it's quite expensive (or was, anyway). It's still always full though, and to my knowledge they only had one fire there in the last couple of years!

The Khanom Jin place opened not so long ago (a year and a half maybe), and is really good value if you go for the buffet (and are hungry). But it can play your stomach up a bit if you're not careful - your friends might not want to stand downwind afterwards :D

Edited by SWW

The bbq place at Century Movie Complex mentioned in the prior post is the Izumi restaurant, the first one mentioned and reviewed in this thread above.

And, the khanom jin buffet place at Century, although I myself haven't tried it yet, is one that my GF says goes for about 79 baht per person. When we were eating at the MBK buffet the other day, she said she thought the khaom jin buffet at Century was a bit better, though also higher priced (79 baht at Century vs. 59 baht at MBK).

The bbq place at Century Movie Complex mentioned in the prior post is the Izumi restaurant, the first one mentioned and reviewed in this thread above.

And, the khanom jin buffet place at Century, although I myself haven't tried it yet, is one that my GF says goes for about 79 baht per person. When we were eating at the MBK buffet the other day, she said she thought the khaom jin buffet at Century was a bit better, though also higher priced (79 baht at Century vs. 59 baht at MBK).

I don't know when I saw you coming off the skytrain at 71 yesterday, you looked quite full. :o

Also, been meaning to try the 224 baht lunch buffet special weekdays (Monday to Friday, noon to 2:30 pm) at the Grand President Hotel's cafe, also nearby on Sukhumvit Soi 11.... Anyone else sampled it???

post-53787-1237010807_thumb.jpg

I've never had the lunch, but the breakfast buffet is very good. A step above a tourist level buffet in quality and selection. Prepared in small quantities so it's fresher. They have Indian and Middle Eastern food at breakfast in addition to Asian. Although not much Thai, mostly Chinese and Japanese. They also have French toast or pancakes, eggs, meats, potatoes, baked beans, etc. Fruit selection is good as is the bread/pastry selection. Also it's one of the few places I don't have to ask for coffee refills. They're attentive.

I never realized they had a lunch buffet. Always assumed it was to order. I'll give it a try the next time I stay there.

Carmine 6, were you doing the Grand President's breakfast buffet as a hotel guest (and thus had it comped/free) or as a paying customer? Any idea of the price to purchase their breakfast buffet...

It sounds good, and the restaurant there has gotten particularly good comments for its Sunday brunch buffet...

I don't know when I saw you coming off the skytrain at 71 yesterday, you looked quite full. :o

You snooping on me again, BKK??? Trying to ascertain my restaurant eating habits???? :D

Actually...hadn't eaten at all then. The GF and I were outbound from Phra Kanong BTS yesterday, en route to a breakfast appointment at Dotcom's home for homemade huevos rancheros... He fixed a mean batch of huevos.... :D

You snooping on me again, BKK??? Trying to ascertain my restaurant eating habits???? :D

Actually...hadn't eaten at all then. The GF and I were outbound from Phra Kanong BTS yesterday, en route to a breakfast appointment at Dotcom's home for homemade huevos rancheros... He fixed a mean batch of huevos.... :D

Breakfast at 1pm? forgot, that was American time I guess. Saw you wondering down Soi 8 last week as well. Funny, until I met you recently, never saw you before :D

Speaking of breakfasts, and meal values in BKK, stopped by the Old German Beerhouse in Sukhumvit Soi 11 (just opposite the Grand President Hotel, a short walk from Nana BTS) today to try their advertised breakfast special, which turned out to be very good tasting at a great 99 baht price. And it seems to be on offer every day and regardless of time.

Though not overwhelmingly filling as presented, the beerhouse's 99 baht "American Breakfast" is a good value for the price. The breakfast includes a small cup of hot coffee or tea (no offer of refills), a glass of orange juice, a single fried egg, home fry sliced potatoes, about 4 strips of very good/sweet tasting American (maybe German too???) style bacon, a small bowl of corn flakes and milk, and a slice of white bread toast and butter.

I might give the slight edge to Molly Malone's similar 99 baht breakfast, as being a bit more filling (more than 1 egg I believe) and including a large pot of hot tea vs. a small cup. But the two meals are identical in price and pretty close in composition. See the Molly Malone breakfast review above.

But it works out OK either way... If you're nearby Silom, head for Molly Malone's (though their breakfast special is only during the morning hours). If you're nearby Sukhumvit, head for the Old German Beerhouse. Either way, you're covered.

Here's the visuals on the Old German Beerhouse breakfast, with the added note that despite the name and what it might connote for some, the restaurant is actually a very pleasant, airy, open venue with a misting system installed around the perimeter to help keep things inside cool. I believe they also have wireless Internet and, of course, lots of BEER available...

post-53787-1237197672_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1237197682_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1237197695_thumb.jpg

Carmine 6, were you doing the Grand President's breakfast buffet as a hotel guest (and thus had it comped/free) or as a paying customer? Any idea of the price to purchase their breakfast buffet...

It sounds good, and the restaurant there has gotten particularly good comments for its Sunday brunch buffet...

Included with the room. Not sure what it runs separately. I'd imagine a bit more than 100 baht, since their made to order breakfast at the Old German Beer House is about 90 baht. Oh my bad, per the above it is 99 baht.

It's good for meeting up with someone. I'd say a little formal feeling for an everyday place. Although lots of people go in shorts, I put pants or jeans on, and go back to my room to change to shorts before heading out.

Edited by Carmine6

• 2 weeks later...
I had posted in another thread about the Victory Monument area regarding a restaurant in Century Movie Plaza called Izumi. Take the BTS to Victory Monument, take the Century Movie Plaza exit and walk straight into the building (2nd floor) - walk past the escalators, it is in the corner past the coffee shop (green with Japanese lettering in white, no English sign).

Anyhow, I'd also met with jfchandler yesterday over an average Japanese meal, and had told him about Izumi - but decided I would go and try it again today myself - this time with a photo.

The price of this meal was 49 baht. (yes, you read that right, 49 baht) - but only available between noon and 3 pm. In front is a bowl of rice topped with barbecue beef (you can choose pork) - unlike any other place I've been, there's always meat left after finishing the rice. Don't expect Thai-French for 49 baht, but this is still dam_n good.

They also have a deal for 109 baht (same hours) where you get two plates of meat to barbecue yourself over a charcoal grill, rice, drink (Coke or green tea), fruit, miso soup, and a Japanese salad.

I don't know of any food court or even street-side stalls where you can get a bowl/plate of rice and a Coke for less than 50 baht - so I'd say that this is absolutely the best value meal in Bangkok.

post-15263-1234254976_thumb.jpg

Best value meal....... eat off the street, try the bbq, only 10baht each...

• 1 month later...

Time to bring this thread back to life.

For good pizza and pasta lovers, Via Vai Restaurant in Sukhumvit Soi 8, just a short walk from Nana BTS, is having a great set of 7-day-a-week lunch specials, as well as Tuesday and Wednesday night dinner specials.

I had the lunch special today, which for 199 baht plus tax gave me my choice of any regular size pizza or pasta dish along with an all-you-can-eat salad bar that was well stocked with a variety of Italian antipasti along with the salad basics. I added a bottle of water and ice, which brought my bill to 269 baht, rounded off to 300 baht with the tip.

For other options on their lunch specials (which are offered every day from noon to 2:30 pm), they're offering the all-you-can-eat salad bar only for 150 baht+, or the combination of pizza or pasta, salad bar, choice of fish or meat entree and coffee or expresso for 300 baht plus tax.

For dinners on Tuesday and Wednesday night starting at 6 pm, they're offering your choice of their pizzas or pasta dishes solo for 180 baht plus tax, which depending on the pizza you order could be as much as 50 percent off the regular menu price.

I've had and liked their pizzas and pastas before. And I must say, the freshly cooked spicy salami pizza I had today for their lunch special was no different or smaller than their regular menu pizzas. So I consider these to be a good deal.

post-53787-1243423423_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1243423454_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1243423491_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1243423507_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1243423539_thumb.jpg

Italian Trio 24 on Sukhumvit 24.

250THB Lunch. Gotta be the best lunch deal for a BKK Italian and its quality not that Pomodoro / Little Italy type nonsense.

Selection of bread rolls with olive oil and balsamic.

Appetizer (my choice Beef Carpaccio)

Main / Pizza / Pasta (my choice Fresh Pasta Carbonara)

Free Choclate crepe for dessert

Edited by namoo

Namoo, that sounds very good, and like a good deal....

But I've never even heard the name of this restaurant....

Their lunch special good every day??? And any particular hours???

Whereabouts on Soi 24???

I love chocolate crepes... Mmmmmmm..... Thanks, jfc...

250THB Lunch. Gotta be the best lunch deal for a BKK Italian and its quality not that Pomodoro / Little Italy type nonsense.

Selection of bread rolls with olive oil and balsamic.

Appetizer (my choice Beef Carpaccio)

Main / Pizza / Pasta (my choice Fresh Pasta Carbonara)

Free Choclate crepe for dessert

But I've never even heard the name of this restaurant....

Their lunch special good every day??? And any particular hours???

Whereabouts on Soi 24???

It's either MON-FRI or MON-SAT cannot remember. 1130:-2:00pm

First small soi on the left as u enter 24 from sukhumvit think its 24/1 - Cant miss the restaurant facing u as u enter that soi.

Or come out the side door of emporium onto 24 and its facing u.

Nice modern/contemporary styling - Highly recommend it.

Also they make fresh pasta EVERYDAY not like some of the other "High End" Italians in town.

The hard bit is trying to avoid the temptation of a few glasses of vino to go with the excellent food.

Edited by namoo

Molly's stopped offering their special..

Big surprise when i go there for the first time and have to pay 310 baht for some pretty cheap "irhs" food expecting a 200baht meal

ha ha thats your luck, or Murphy's Law I would call it. :)

I like Molly Malone's for food and drink, but haven't been there for a week or so.

Their web site is still showing two different sets of food specials... See images below.... Are you saying one or both of these specials is no longer being honored, even though they're still posted on the bar's web site??

post-53787-1243587094_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1243587106_thumb.jpg

I'd be surprised if MM's has ditched their daily specials, the one with a different dish every day of the week.

They've had those for ages, and certainly were advertising one on their chalkboards the last time I was in there about one week ago.

On that visit, however, I did NOT see their credit crunch lunches mentioned anywhere. Nor did their former very good special happy hour for pitchers of sangria still exist. I was bummed about that...

I was in town today so I thought I'd try namoo's recommendation Trio 24 Italian restaurant for lunch, I must say I was suitably impressed.

For appetizer I ordered the smoked salmon, while the G/F ordered the tenderloin beef carpaccio, and for main I had the pasta carbonara, the G/F had the fillet of fish.

Chocolate crepes to follow.

The bread was good too.

Now while this may not represent the best value meal in Bangkok, I'd have to go along with namoo and agree that it must be the best value Italian in Bangkok. The food is quality, the service was spot on, and the restaurant is tastefully decorated....I'll be back.

post-61198-1243685036_thumb.jpg

Edited by thecatman

The staff told me that new daily specials will be coming next week once the advertising has been printed.

Greenwood01, why would you tell everyone to stay away from MOllys because you dont like the prices? come on, sort your head out. the food happens to be great there 99% of he times ive eaten there. the prices are on the menu and if you do not want to pay then dont order anything. to be onest, the price range is fit for all. the 99 baht breakfast is a good deal, and I think for 450 baht you get a great rib eye or fillet steak, with the tenderness and colour of the meat it cant be local <deleted>. i will tell everyone to eat there!

Yeah over 300 baht for some 20 baht sausage and the second worst mashed potatoes i have ever eaten?

probably have some thai guy off the street cooking their western meals

hum! it sounds like you have a major problem with the pub, has the staff or management treated you wrong? or do you have shares in another pub close by?