The Fa And Favouritism

StevieH

can anyone explain this having seen the two incidents?

Wright-Phillips suspended by FA

Wright-Phillips will miss three matches for Manchester City

Manchester City's Shaun Wright-Phillips has been suspended for three matches by the Football Association.

The 27-year-old midfielder will miss Premier League games at Portsmouth, Liverpool and West Ham.

Wright-Phillips kicked Stoke's Rory Delap in the game on 31 January but it was missed by referee Martin Atkinson.

He was cleared to play against Middlesbrough on Saturday after the FA delayed taking disciplinary action against the midfielder.

Delap was shown a straight red card at the Britannia Stadium after kicking the ball at Wright-Phillips while he lay on the pitch.

Wright-Phillips retaliated by lashing out at the Stoke midfielder.

Atkinson told the FA that, having subsequently watched video footage of the incident, he would have shown the England international a red card if he had seen it at the time.

Ronaldo escapes punishment

United winger cleared of wrongdoing in White Hart Lane skirmish

By Chris Burton Last updated: 15th December 2008

Ronaldo: No action

Cristiano Ronaldo will not face any disciplinary action following his petulant kick at Michael Dawson on Saturday.

The Manchester United winger flicked out at the Tottenham defender during a dour goalless draw at White Hart Lane.

Referee Mike Dean, who took no action at the time, has looked at the incident again and deemed it to be undeserving of punishment.

The match official felt the skirmish was not serious enough to warrant a red card and, as a result, will not be charging the Portuguese superstar.

A Football Association spokesman said: "We contacted the referee, who confirmed he didn't see the incident at the time and, having reviewed footage, he has also confirmed he would not have sent the player off for violent conduct had he seen it.

"On that basis, no further action will be taken."

Atkinson told the FA that, having subsequently watched video footage of the incident, he would have shown the England international a red card if he had seen it at the time.

The match official felt the skirmish was not serious enough to warrant a red card and, as a result, will not be charging the Portuguese superstar.

A Football Association spokesman said: "We contacted the referee, who confirmed he didn't see the incident at the time and, having reviewed footage, he has also confirmed he would not have sent the player off for violent conduct had he seen it.

Because one referee thought it was worth reporting the incident after he saw it on camera whereas the other didnt.

When it comes to things getting highlighted on TV id say the teams that are on more will get worse treatment on the basis Hansen and the like will go on and on and on about it.

But in this case maybe one ref is more intimidated by Fergie then the other is of Sparky, after all Fergie is a Sir.....w4nka

Edited by sanmiguel

From what I remember, SWP connected, the look on his face spoke volumes and, he connected.....!

Ronaldo lashed out, plainly thought quickly about it and, pulled out, not connecting.! Two very separate incidents.

If anyone else remembers, try and back me up as that sounds like I'm being really bias.... :o

redrus

Because one referee thought it was worth reporting the incident after he saw it on camera whereas the other didnt.

When it comes to things getting highlighted on TV id say the teams that are on more will get worse treatment on the basis Hansen and the like will go on and on and on about it.

But in this case maybe one ref is more intimidated by Fergie then the other is of Sparky, after all Fergie is a Sir.....w4nka

Grow up....!

redrus

Grow up....!

redrus

Just showing my comtempt for the fascist regime, and the idiots who accept such so called honours.

I repeat my previous statement and, this section of the forum isn't the place for any kind of political (never mind the) <deleted>....!

:o

redrus

EASY

Delap is playing for Stoke City and Ronaldo(diving scumbag) plays for SIR red nose team.

Since aresole Wenger complained about our tactics when we beat them fair and square at the Brit,the refs have been so biased against us it stinks.

Same as last saturday when we won a fee kick and the Sunderland player got booked,he sent Etherington off for a little trip/kick,in which the player didnt even go down,then you see the Arsenal player get his second YELLOW card for a worse incident.it beggers belief sometimes.

To be fair also,our Danny Pugh looked like he cleared a goal bound header off the line with his arms/hands and that idiot Rob Styles or the linesman didnt see.As a matter of interest i think Rob Styles is the most incompetent,useless manager in the history of football,so please google his name and you will see he has a business which is after dinner speaker,read what he says and you will understand what a complete toopot he is.Part of his write up is

ives me a buzz when i am standing in the tunnel and there are 22 millionaires standing BEHIND me.That gives you an indication of the type of guy he is.Feel free to send him emails if you hate him as much as me.

From what I remember, SWP connected, the look on his face spoke volumes and, he connected.....!

Ronaldo lashed out, plainly thought quickly about it and, pulled out, not connecting.! Two very separate incidents.

If anyone else remembers, try and back me up as that sounds like I'm being really bias.... :o

redrus

i thought ronaldo connected too? mark hughes should be fuming about this.

You don't really think it's because Ronaldo didn't " connect " do you, honestly ??

Surely if someone throws a Punch, Kicks out ( Ronaldo & SWP ) or attemots to Head Butt, whether they connect or not is irrelevent because it's dangerous play & a sending off offence by the letter of the law ??

To be honest though i can't comment on teh Ronaldo incident as i don't recall it but judging by what redrus & stevie say, i conclude the above..

No youtubes of it i suppose ??

However one things for certain, SWP by the letter of the Law should have been sent off at the time, but teh Ref didn't see it so in my book he " got away with it ", i strongly disagree with going back over the incident using Video Evidence to punish a Player for something after the event, whether it's a sending off offence or not cos there is simply no way to draw the line on this issue & it's opening a HUGE can of worms..

Edited by MSingh

Bingo..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofjpU9q8K44

Kicking out is kicking out, whether he connects or not in my opinion & it's completely stupid IE Eboue & shows a complete lack of discipline as every single Players knows that it's a Sending Off offence which could cost your Team Points IE Eboue..

To address Stevie's question, there is no difference between the two incidents & the " didn't connect " arguement is a poor one in my opinion..

Not sure if favouritism is the right word but natureally it doesn't look too fair, thats' for sure, that Ronaldo didn't get punished for that incident..

The issue here is the Ronaldo incident as the SWP incident was a red card offence without a doubt ( whether we agree with the rule or not is also a different argument but it is the rule & should be therefore abided by ), whether as i said before that should be allowed to happen after the even is a different argument entirely..

I stand corrected and eat humble pie.... :D

redrus

* can't find the Delap bit but, here's him

& here he is talking to his older Brother... :o

Quality.... :D I only just remember that....!

redrus

I already said that without a doubt SWP was lucky to be on the pitch and so was Ronaldo. After the TV footage showing it to be the same type of behaviour, they should both be punished identically and i believe a ban is right for both. This is a fekkin disgrace and something should be done. :o

I already said that without a doubt SWP was lucky to be on the pitch and so was Ronaldo. After the TV footage showing it to be the same type of behaviour, they should both be punished identically and i believe a ban is right for both. This is a fekkin disgrace and something should be done. :o

Hang em, burn em, witches..................!!!!!

redrus

Yip :D

I'm sure you would say the same if Christi-acne had been banned :D

LOL

Christi-acne.........

I swear you're a school teacher, some of the things you say are straight off the playground.............. :D

redrus

What annoys me in all of this, is that the decisions were made AFTER the event, when everybody can look at the evidence and come to a decision.

I think that almost EVERY football fan on this forum, regardless of who they support, would agree that Shaun Wright Phillips AND Ronaldo AND Bosingwa,all deserved to get dismissed, and with the ref missing the incidents and footage being reviewed, should all be banned.

The fact that only one of the three was banned shows the complete ineptitude of the referees concerned, and the complete dipsticks at the FA :o

What annoys me in all of this, is that the decisions were made AFTER the event, when everybody can look at the evidence and come to a decision.

I think that almost EVERY football fan on this forum, regardless of who they support, would agree that Shaun Wright Phillips AND Ronaldo AND Bosingwa,all deserved to get dismissed, and with the ref missing the incidents and footage being reviewed, should all be banned.

The fact that only one of the three was banned shows the complete ineptitude of the referees concerned, and the complete dipsticks at the FA :o

exactly, it's all about consistency, something the FA has never been able to grasp.

Stevie, grasping at straws again, pressure getting to you? :D

come on james, you're turning into a pastiche of a stereotype of a cliche of a tabloid-reading manyoo supporter now lad. must try harder.

exactly, it's all about consistency, something the FA has never been able to grasp.

Stevie, grasping at straws again, pressure getting to you? :D

come on james, you're turning into a pastiche of a stereotype of a cliche of a tabloid-reading manyoo supporter now lad. must try harder.

Last time I checked, SAF was the one serving the touchline ban as handed out by the FA for comments about officiating. Not Rafa.

Last time I checked, SAF was the one serving the touchline ban as handed out by the FA for comments about officiating. Not Rafa.

and i seem to recall him communicating with the bench by telephone, which is against the rules. and he was allowed to get away with it.

and i seem to recall him communicating with the bench by telephone, which is against the rules. and he was allowed to get away with it.

and he chews gum at old trafford, against the rules too, ban him for life I say!!

Refereeing is pissweak these days. The stuff they get carded for is ridiculous. Any little show of temper or irritation earns a card.

That ain't the Refs thouhg Mate, that's the Lawmakers fault..

The Refs are only there to implement the Rules, they don't make them..

If the Refs don't implement those Rules & " Use their common " like so many of the so called experts say they should, they would get demoted, simple as that, & no one wants that in their Job.

True & if anyone thinks the Delap incident sending off was a sending off, then in that case Gerrard should have been sent off the following day against Chelsea in the first 2 mins..

For Steve Macmahon last week on Football Focus to say that the Ref was right NOT to send him off because it would have spoiled the Game is juts a complete & utter nonsense & completely contradictory & he's basically saying that because Gerrard is Gerrard, he shouldn't have been sent off for the same offence that Delap had been sent off the previous day for. & that's wrong & possibly something to do with the way Stevie is implying that Refs may have favouritism ( although i doubt he thought it would be twisted like this on to Gerrard :D )..

You don't really think it's because Ronaldo didn't " connect " do you, honestly ??

Surely if someone throws a Punch, Kicks out ( Ronaldo & SWP ) or attemots to Head Butt, whether they connect or not is irrelevent because it's dangerous play & a sending off offence by the letter of the law ??

To be honest though i can't comment on teh Ronaldo incident as i don't recall it but judging by what redrus & stevie say, i conclude the above..

However one things for certain, SWP by the letter of the Law should have been sent off at the time, but teh Ref didn't see it so in my book he " got away with it ", i strongly disagree with going back over the incident using Video Evidence to punish a Player for something after the event, whether it's a sending off offence or not cos there is simply no way to draw the line on this issue & it's opening a HUGE can of worms..

All top matches are video'd from dozens of angles so if the FA really wanted to stop these incidents they could do so immediately. All they would have to do is have a panel of experts look at to videos after each game and

punish every incident, whether the referee saw it (but took no or the wrong action) or not.

If the players all NEW they would be punished and/or banned for diving, dangerous play, retaliation, etc then they wouldn't do it in the first place.

All top matches are video'd from dozens of angles so if the FA really wanted to stop these incidents they could do so immediately. All they would have to do is have a panel of experts look at to videos after each game and

punish every incident, whether the referee saw it (but took no or the wrong action) or not.

If the players all NEW they would be punished and/or banned for diving, dangerous play, retaliation, etc then they wouldn't do it in the first place.

I reckon Steve Bennett would disagree Mate.. :D

I understand what you're saying Mate, just not sure i agree with it as i just think a Game of Football is a Game of Football, once the final Whistle is blown, everyone should shake their Opponents & the Refs hand & thats it !!

Maybe i'm just stuck in the past... :o

LOL

Christi-acne.........

I swear you're a school teacher, some of the things you say are straight off the playground.............. :D

redrus

Don't be too hard on him redrus - i think going through life known as Mr BJ is bound to have affected him and could explain the silly nicknames he thinks up for others! :D