Alternative To Ubc And Satellite Tv

melus

Let me just start by saying I'm not in any way affiliated with this company. I only want to pass on the inforamation.

Happy Home Cable TV gives you over 50 channels, including Fox News, Channel News Asia, ABC, and DW. Sorry, I don't think there are any sports or movie channels, but the price is right at only 200 baht per month with no start-up fees. You need to pay 6 months in advance, however. The reception is crystal clear, and you probably won't lose your signal during the monsoon season as with UBC.

Call them to see if your area is covered:

02-730-6921-3

They don't speak English, btw.

UBC was driving me insane while I spent 2 weeks in the hospital. Red screen fillers replacing advertisements with annoying music. They charge way too much.

We have PTV, in the Chonburi area. Seems to be the same channels as Happy. 350 thb/month. There's also a great movie channel with the latest movies.

Just enough good channels so you don't become a couch potato. :o

There is still no service available in Thailand to equal the UBC.

If money is your problem, get one of those mostly illegal cable systems and be satisfied with what they have.

If programing is more important than the price, nobody can beat UBC.

But, they still whine on and on about UBC...... Get over it, folks! If UBC makes you so angry, get a cheaper life! :o

Maybe you'll have to put a dent in your booze/broads budget if you want the best programming available in Thailand :D

Yes, that red screens with REALLY ANNOYING sounftracks !!! Some freaky techno-pop, or screaming woman or even worse ....

And always at the wrong time during broadcasting.

BTW, why they don't block adv. on thai chanels but only on foreign ones?

The law in Thailand is that you can only advertise on channels that are broadcast for free reception. (so any channel that isn't encrypted can advertise..., but channels that you are paying for can't advertise...)

It would be a nice idea - if it wasnt for the fact that most of the channels are broadcast in several countries, not just Thailand, so already have adverts. - hence the red screens when the law forces UBC to remove them.

Let me just start by saying I'm not in any way affiliated with this company. I only want to pass on the inforamation.

Happy Home Cable TV gives you over 50 channels, including Fox News, Channel News Asia, ABC, and DW. Sorry, I don't think there are any sports or movie channels, but the price is right at only 200 baht per month with no start-up fees. You need to pay 6 months in advance, however. The reception is crystal clear, and you probably won't lose  your signal during the monsoon season as with UBC.

Call them to see if your area is covered:

02-730-6921-3

They don't speak English, btw.

Whats the point if there is no movies or sport,what do they fill the other channel up with?

The law in Thailand is that you can only advertise on channels that are broadcast for free reception. (so any channel that isn't encrypted can advertise..., but channels that you are paying for can't advertise...)

BBC, CNN, DW and CNBC are not encrypted. they are free for all 'coz they're paid by advertising not by viewers. means if I want to see Larry King I have to watch Jaguar ad. I have no problem with it- nice car and nice ad, but screaming woman on the red screen - give me a break !

Field report.

I had some biz at China Town so I checked what is going on with satelite market today. I use it as reference for furhter plans etc.

Dish 7foot/213cm with pretty good LNB (big bulb in the focus) 4,xxx

Motor to make it search the skies ( pretty impresive to watch while drinking on the roof, though ) -1200-1500

Receiver (Guandzhou or even funnier) 3xxx, Korean model 4xxx, Smart-Ass triple slot Device - 5xxx

So, to watch something you need some 10.xxx.

The magic smart card was NOT available, but could be "ordered" at reasonable price between 3xxx and up...

Nobody will sell UBC cards - don't even ask. But there's Astro package from M'sya - which is very similar to UBC, so...

Installation cost - I guess good one will be 2xxx up, but you won't call them every week to re-adjust fittings and wiring.

All other prices should be considered as daylight robbery.

The sound or reception is perfect, dish looks nice, with a bit more investment could give more pleasure from different Sats and locations

Regards :o

UBC was driving me insane while I spent 2 weeks in the hospital. Red screen fillers replacing advertisements with annoying music. They charge way too much.
Annoying isn't a stong enough word for the red screens and inane, idiotic music. Now you even get this on the Star Movie channel!
We have PTV, in the Chonburi area. Seems to be the same channels as Happy. 350 thb/month. There's also a great movie channel with the latest movies.

This is probable the same as Happy Home Cable TV (HTV)

Any cable co. that doesn't block ads, tits and a ciggy in the actor's mouth, will get my $$$$
Exactly!
What's the point if there are no movies or sports, what do they fill the other channels up with?

See above.

Does Happy home have an Internet tv listing programs available?

Probably not, but call them to check, anyway.

Edited by melus

There is still no service available in Thailand to equal the UBC.

If money is your problem, get one of those mostly illegal cable systems and be satisfied with what they have.

If programing is more important than the price, nobody can beat UBC.

But, they still whine on and on about UBC...... Get over it, folks! If UBC makes you so angry, get a cheaper life!  :o

Maybe you'll have to put a dent in your booze/broads budget if you want the best programming available in Thailand  :D

One word... Astro !!

Makes you realize how bad UBC is !!!

The magic smart card was NOT available, but could be "ordered" at reasonable price between 3xxx and up...

Nobody will sell UBC cards - don't even ask. But there's Astro package from M'sya - which is very similar to UBC, so...

Agreed on most of your points.. I have a single non mopvable dish as I have no room in this rental house for a biggie and motorized setu (though I wanted to)..

However.. 'Magic cards' ?? Where I am there are no recievable signals that can be hacked.. Dream does not fit the foot print.. The Phillipines broadcast either and UBC and Astro are on as yet uncompromised systems (and dont for a minute thank thjats due to Taxin.. The knowledge in the sat communities does not give a hoot about his laws or punishmens simply IRDETO2 and SECA2 (v7.7) are not compromised.

Please fill me in publically or privately on what you mean by 'Magic cards' as I am a bit of a hobbiest when it comes to access control systems (I have paid for astro and a purchased UBC card simply so GF can watch the soaps clearly).