Thai Actor To Sue Cosmetic Clinic Over Botched Injection

george

Actor to sue cosmetic clinic over botched injection

BANGKOK: -- A Thai actor yesterday filed a complaint with Lumpini Police against a cosmetic clinic in Central Chidlom following a botox injection he claimed caused his left eye to swell and his eyelid to droop.

"Raem Pisawas" soap opera star Pachara Kaewpetch, 38, said he had botox injections many times in the past 4-5 years at other clinics without any problems.

Pachara said he went to this clinic at Central Chidlom recently, as part of a friend's prepaid cosmetic program worth Bt130,000. He requested botox injections in the forehead and the outside corners of the eyes, but the doctor,he claimed, injected the botox around his eyes.

Later, said Pachara, the area around his left eye became swollen and the eyelid drooped to cover the eye. He went back to the clinic about the condition but was ignored and nobody would take responsibility.

"Now I don't dare to go see people. This really affects my mental [health] and my work. I had to cancel many jobs," he said, adding he was told by a Bumrungrad Hospital doctor that such a condition would heal with proper treatment from experts, but it could take 5-6 months to return to normal.

"This morning, the clinic called me but I didn't talk to them. I had already given them a chance but they had ignored trying to solve the problem for me," Pachara said.

The clinic had offered to pay him Bt10,000 per week as a refund, but "it looks like an instalment and they didn't say if they would refund the whole amount or not," he added.

Asked for how much he would sue the clinic, Pachara said he would have to consult with his lawyer.

Police said they would send the actor to the Police General hospital to determine what caused his condition as part of an investigation. So far police have only recorded a complaint and not filed charges against anyone.

In a related development, Medical Registration Division officials inspected the clinic at Central Chidlom and found it had a proper licence.

"The doctor who treated the actor also had a medical licence," the division's director Dr Thara Chinakarn said, "so we will pass on related documents to the Medical Council to decide whether the doctor provided substandard treatment".

Prasat Neurological Institute's director Dr Maiyadhi Samsen said effects of botox could last for three to six months. "The actor should fully recover by that time, but there's no quick fix," he said.

Maiyadhi said botox injections can be used to cure muscle disorders and even migraine, as well as to temporarily give a youthful look to one's face.

-- The Nation 2008-02-11

Som nam na...

If he was informed of the possible [and publicly known] side-effects before treatment, that is an ELECTED one, he has no-one to blame but himself.

He could always take up a real job during his droop-time...