Our Clubs In Europe Thread............ All Competitions.

redrus

As an English man i feel proud that we have the best league in the World - well at least in our opinion! So for me, to have an English team win the European Cup, whatever that team might be, means something as it validates this opinion.

All those years when the Italian teams did well in the competition, and those times when the Spanish teams have ruled, it's been difficult to take the taunts from those respective nationalities claiming that although the English Premier League might be popular world-wide, it was in fact an inferior league with a bit of pace but not much in the way of skill.

At the end of the day i guess i'd rather be taunted by a Liverpool fan than an Italian or a Spaniard, but that's because i put support for my country first - something that amongst club supporters is not that common (nor approved of) i know.

its ok, unlike other on here (not mentioning any names), we are not afraid to come out of the closet and admit our hatred to spaniands and italians.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an English man i feel proud that we have the best league in the World - well at least in our opinion! So for me, to have an English team win the European Cup, whatever that team might be, means something as it validates this opinion.

All those years when the Italian teams did well in the competition, and those times when the Spanish teams have ruled, it's been difficult to take the taunts from those respective nationalities claiming that although the English Premier League might be popular world-wide, it was in fact an inferior league with a bit of pace but not much in the way of skill.

At the end of the day i guess i'd rather be taunted by a Liverpool fan than an Italian or a Spaniard, but that's because i put support for my country first - something that amongst club supporters is not that common (nor approved of) i know.

don't think that argument carries much water any more since the club sides have very little to do with nationality. the playing staffs come from all over the world, as do the fanbases. i think that patriotism is now the preserve of national teams and competition, club football's become a global game.

don't think that argument carries much water any more since the club sides have very little to do with nationality. the playing staffs come from all over the world, as do the fanbases. i think that patriotism is now the preserve of national teams and competition, club football's become a global game.

Maybe so, but to me Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U and all the rest, are and always will be English clubs. The roots are too deep -personnel can't change that.

Maybe so, but to me Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U and all the rest, are and always will be English clubs. The roots are too deep -personnel can't change that.

personal view of course like, but then i don't and never have considered liverpool an english club, we're a scouse club. my point really was that the clubs have fans and players from all over the world which makes them international properties while national teams are absolutely defined by their country.

personal view of course like, but then i don't and never have considered liverpool an english club, we're a scouse club. my point really was that the clubs have fans and players from all over the world which makes them international properties while national teams are absolutely defined by their country.

What Steve Said.... :o

redrus

If Liverpool isn't an English club for the reasons you have stated, i don't see how it can be a scouse club either.

Anyway, the point i was making wasn't so much a pride of the English clubs (if you'll allow me to call them that for a minute), but rather a pride of the English Premier League. It's a product of England in my book, just as much as La Liga is an Italian product - and if it's alright by you, i'll remain proud of it. :o

I'd rather fuc_kin City won

There we have it, in black and white (well black and creamish). Red wants us to win the Champions League :o

In a sick kind of way I do want to see you do well, then fail, at the last hurdle....... Not to Liverpool though..... :D

redrus

There we have it, in black and white (well black and creamish). Red wants us to win the Champions League :o

In a sick kind of way I do want to see you do well, then fail, at the last hurdle....... Not to Liverpool though..... :D

:D

Cheers Red. So it was a kind of veiled best wish with an evil laugh at he end :D

Cheers Red. So it was a kind of veiled best wish with an evil laugh at he end :D

That's the fella..... :D

redrus

If Liverpool isn't an English club for the reasons you have stated, i don't see how it can be a scouse club either.

Anyway, the point i was making wasn't so much a pride of the English clubs (if you'll allow me to call them that for a minute), but rather a pride of the English Premier League. It's a product of England in my book, just as much as La Liga is an Italian product - and if it's alright by you, i'll remain proud of it. :o

yeah, i get you man. i won't though agree with you while the majority of the best players in the league continue to be not english, the best managers aren't english, the clubs aren't owned by englishmen and the league gets its money from an australian. :D

yeah, i get you man. i won't though agree with you while the majority of the best players in the league continue to be not english, the best managers aren't english, the clubs aren't owned by englishmen and the league gets its money from an australian. :D

So by that premise, Liverpool is no more a scouse club than it is an English club. Scousers have no claim to it, nor do the English. The years and years that is has taken being built up into what it is, largely by locals, who happen to be English, all counts for nothing?

redrus

Many of the successful English clubs over the years were coached/managed by Scotsmen. :D:o:D

Now Scotsmen just need to learn how to play the game.

Apparantly in all walks of business there are a disproportionate amount of Scottish managers, one theory is this is due to the better education system in Scotland that in time enables them to reach the top.

They just dont make very good translators.

16/02/2009 15:26

Champions League Countdown: Getting Ready For The Knockout Stages

Ewan Macdonald begins a look ahead to the Champions League Knockout Stages, which start in just over a week's time...

Just eight days stand between us and the resumption of the Champions League. It's been a long, long wait since December, but it's almost over now, and we here at Goal.com are already suitably excited.

We've already kept you updated with our in-depth examinations of England's and Italy's respective CL contenders, but between now and kick-off on the 24th of February we will inform you each days of the inside scoop at each club to see who's preparing well, and who isn't.

Tuesday February 24 2009

Atletico Madrid - Porto

Atletico Madrid's new manager, Abel Resino, couldn't begin his home career with a win: Getafe fought back from a goal down to seal a 1-1 draw at the Vicente Calderon on Sunday night, thus keeping the Rojiblancos out of the Champions League places. The coach, however, defiantly insisted that his side were superior.

No such concerns for the Dragons, though: Porto followed up their 1-1 draw with Benfica last week with a 3-1 win over Rio Ave, although it took two last-gasp goals from Ernesto Farias to delight the 34,000-strong crowd with a win. Porto remain top of the league.

Lyon - Barcelona

Lyon marched on past basement boys Le Havre on Sunday, keeping them four points clear of surprise package PSG at the top of the table. But it's not all smiles at the Stade Gerland: right-back John Mensah had to endure shocking racist abuse at the weekend, apparently from a segment of the Le Havre fanbase, and was eventually sent off for two bookable offences as well. Police arrested several of those responsible but Mensah is still said to be in an understandably upset state over the incident.

Meanwhile Barcelona, having drawn 2-2 at Real Betis on Saturday night, face accusations that anything short of their strongest eleven could struggle greatly in Lyon. Nonetheless, that unbeaten league run has now stretched to an astonishing 22 games. Pep Guardiola, though, is all too aware that things are very different on the continent...

Arsenal - Roma

A weird weekend at Arsenal! The Gunners face Cardiff City tonight in the FA Cup, with the misfiring Gunners eager to put their recent poor form behind them. Nicklas Bendtner believes that he should be first choice in an attempt to solve these woes, but how coach Arsene Wenger views his request is very much open to debate.

And then there's Roma, who were utterly, utterly humiliated by a Cristiano Doni-led Atalanta side at the weekend. As club legend Bruno Conti told Romanews.eu about the game, "Before thinking about Arsenal, we now need to get the Siena performance right. Yesterday we had a terrible performance in which we never got going... in Bergamo, we didn't see the real Roma."

Inter - Manchester United

Inter took advantage of their rivals' stumbles to move nine points clear at the top of Serie A with a close-fought derby win over AC Milan. The club president, Massimo Moratti, cheekily insisted that it should have been 7-0, although he admitted that there were question marks over a strike from Adriano that could have been borne of handball. Maicon and Julio Cesar were particularly excellent and will be causing United no end of headache.

Meanwhile Manchester United were facing altogether more modest opposition in the form of Derby County, whom the Red Devils thrashed 4-1 in the FA Cup. A much-rotated lineup did the needful, but it's back to business as usual at home against Fulham on Wednesday evening - a match from the early-season backlog that came as a result of United's being involved in so many tournaments. This fixture congestion is no doubt a source of concern for manager Alex Ferguson...

Wednesday February 25 2009

Real Madrid - Liverpool

For all the talk of a crisis at the Bernabeu, that's now eight wins on the trot for the Blancos, who look a new side under recently-appointed interim coach Juande Ramos. They haven't all been classic performances by any means, but the unorthodox formation that dismantled Sporting 4-0 on Sunday afternoon was exciting to watch. But just as interesting - as always at Madrid! - are off-pitch matters. El Pais claims that Royston Drenthe has personally asked to be excluded from the last three matchday squads, suggesting that all is not well with the Dutchman...

Over on Merseyside Liverpool had the weekend off due to their being out of the FA Cup, but as with Madrid there's little shortage of backroom drama. Coach Rafael Benitez is still in a contractual limbo, and he's revealed that even if the sticking point of having major input into transfers is resolved, he's wary of the fact that "10 or 12" of his assistants are out of contract in June...

Chelsea - Juventus

And then there's Chelsea, who beat Watford 3-1 in the FA Cup at the weekend under the auspices of Ray Wilkins. New stand-in coach Guus Hiddink watched from the stands, too, and while he would have been happy with the lethal goalscoring form of Nicolas Anelka, he surely knows that more needs to be done ahead of the meeting with Juve to get this side's confidence back in earnest.

Juventus themselves will feel unlucky not to have beaten Sampdoria at the weekend, given that they hit the woodwork three times, but others will say that teams make their own luck. Claudio Ranieri, most likely enjoying a private chuckle over the management reshuffle at the Bridge, has a lot to prove in this regard.

Villarreal - Panathinaikos

Another week, another draw for Villarreal. The Yellow Submarine tied 1-1 away to Racing Santander at the weekend, rendering them still joint-fourth as they undergo a run of just two league wins in the last ten. Still, coach Manuel Pellegrini was happy enough with the showing at the Sardinero, and he's been offered a further boost by Giuseppe Rossi, who has brushed aside speculation linking him with a return to Manchester United.

A draw at Iraklis on Sunday was less than what Panathinaikos needed to keep up a title challenge that was already looking all but dead, but enough to keep them in second place ahead of PAOK. Henk Ten Cate's men, though, are convinced that something is amiss, claiming that refereeing decisions are inexplicably going against their side week in, week out. They're not the only ones making such accusations: Aris, who lost out to Olympiacos, claim that corruption is rife in the Greek game...

Sporting Lisbon - Bayern Munich

Sporting Lisbon finally got back to winning ways at the weekend with a 2-1 win in Belem, but recent stumbles see them four points off pace-setters Porto. Still, Paulo Bento has the faith of the hierarchy, and a great deal of the fanbase, heading into this CL clash.

Bayern, meanwhile, are now in an unbelievable fourth position in the table after losing out to Hertha Berlin, who have moved top. But in typical 'FC Hollywood' style, Bayern figures have played down the result, with Uli Hoeness saying that it's "just a matter of time" until the Bavarians take their rightful place at the summit. But with Luca Toni's ankle playing up, their key striker could be out of this clash.

Trapattoni backs Italian clubs to beat Premiership rivals in Champions League

16.02.09 | tribalfootball.com

Republic of Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni is backing all three Italian teams to dump their Premiership opponents out of the Champions League.

Trapattoni, who has managed all three Serie A clubs, said: "Juventus have a 51 per cent chance of beating Chelsea. They are going very well.

"Alessandro Del Piero is always dangerous from set pieces. He'll be a key factor.

"As for Arsenal against Roma, I would bet on Roma to win. Arsenal are another club that is an open building site right now. Arsenal have the freshness of their young players, but Roma have come through similar games before.

"Inter and Manchester United are the two strongest teams in Europe and whoever wins will go on to become European champions.

"Alex Ferguson has managed to blend the physical strength of English football with the talents of superstars with Latin American spirit.

"But Inter have their weapons like Zlatan Ibrahimovic."

redrus

Mourinho up for United challenge

Andrew Allen; sport.co.uk: 17 February 2009 - 2:57 PM

Jose Mourinho has set his sights on beating the 'best team in Europe' when the Champions League last 16 gets underway on Tuesday next week. His Inter Milan side host United at the San Siro on February 24 with the second leg scheduled for Old Trafford two weeks later and Mourinho, says it is the perfect tie for his team. "Before the draw I said that I wanted United and some people thought I was crazy," Mourinho said. "After all, why would I want the top team in Europe? But I wanted them because it's a big challenge and because it will be difficult.

"It's a special draw for my players and I won't need to motivate them for this tie. The best matches to play in are against the best sides and the best side at the moment is United."

While Inter Milan have never beaten the Reds in a competitive fixture, Mourinho does have the edge over Sir Alex from his time at Porto and Chelsea. In fact, United's boss has only enjoyed one victory over his Portuguese counterpart.

"We know we can win," Mourinho said. "United are a special team with special players. They are very solid in defence and dangerous in attack.

"You look at the talent they have on the pitch and then on the bench too, and you know this will be difficult. My side has a lot of experience, we have a lot of talent and we know how to play the big games. It will be a close tie."

Inter are unbeaten in six Italian league and cup games, the latest being Sunday's 2-1 win over AC Milan in the local derby. They travel to Bologna in Serie A this Saturday.

redrus

• 2 weeks later...

All Engflish Teams looking good to be honest & i wouldn't, if i was a betting Man, have said that Man Ure would be the one's who got the worst result out of the 3 but they should be too strong at Home & i can't really see how Inter will score..

Isn't it funny though the way they've been matched up..

Serie A Number 1 V Prem Number 1 = In my opinion, Man Ure were by far the better Side even if they didn't score.

Serie A Struggler V Prem Struggler = 1-0 to Le Arse & should have been more.

Serie A Number 2 V Prem Number 2 = Easy really for Chelsea & although Juve threatened towards the end, you'd fancy Chelsea strongly to progress.

La Liga's most richest Historical Club v Prems most Historical Club = Tight but effective 0-1 Away win, job done..

Overall i think over the 4 Games it just shows that the Prem Clubs are strongest by a mile..

Will be interesting to see what the Germans say about that after last night though.. :o

& Barca obviously but i just wonder if Barca have peaked too early in the Season..

Edited by MSingh

All Engflish Teams looking good to be honest & i wouldn't, if i was a betting Man, have said that Man Ure would be the one's who got the worst result out of the 3 but they should be too strong at Home & i can't really see how Inter will score..

Serie A Number 1 V Prem Number 1 = In my opinion, Man Ure were by far the better Side even if they didn't score.

Serie A Number 2 V Prem Number 2 = Easy really for Chelsea & although Juve threatened towards the end, you'd fancy Chelsea strongly to progress.

La Liga's most richest Historical Club v Prems most Historical Club = Tight but effective 0-1 Away win, job done..

Overall i think over the 4 Games it just shows that the Prem Clubs are strongest by a mile..

Will be interesting to see what the Germans say about that after last night though.. :o

& Barca obviously but i just wonder if Barca have peaked too early in the Season..

*cough*

*cough*

I thought you'd prefer the Prem's Richest Historical Club ?? :D