Work Permit To Teach 1 Day/week, Possible?

Hi all,

I'm in Thoeng, a small town near Chiangrai. I'm trying to get a work permit and have approached a highschool requesting a visa in exchange for 1 day a week of free english instruction. They're keen and hoping to get approval from the principal, but I'm wondering if there are any legal or immigration restrictions on obtaining a work permit?

Is there a minimum hours/week of work required to get a work permit? (Canadian passport).

thanks.

As far as I know there is no miminum legal requirement.

I get the impression that you think that a workpermit will allow you to work also at other locations. To make sure you understand know that a WP only allows you to work for the employer named in the WP, in the function named in the WP, at the location named in the WP. You are not allowe to work anywhere else, paid or unpaid.

I'd just add that during my own, un-successful for other reasons, bid to obtain a work permit for volunteering at a school that the provincial Education Ministry office said they required a minimum of 10 hours per week (that wasn't a problem for me).

I'd throw in the caveat that it's a different province and there's certainly a chance they vary from one province to another.

Mario's advice and cautions above are very noteworthy.

Edited by sriracha john

thanks for the helpful comments.

the latest is that the school has approved it and are sending me to Vientianne to get the Non B. One sticky thing is that they need to state a salary amount in the letter, which I will actually not be receiving, since I'm a volunteer.

Will I need to confirm my monthly salary to the government at some point?

Also, anyone know anything about this police clearance form that I need from my Canadian embassy before getting my non B?

thanks.

thanks for the helpful comments.

the latest is that the school has approved it and are sending me to Vientianne to get the Non B. One sticky thing is that they need to state a salary amount in the letter, which I will actually not be receiving, since I'm a volunteer.

Will I need to confirm my monthly salary to the government at some point?

Also, anyone know anything about this police clearance form that I need from my Canadian embassy before getting my non B?

thanks.

You should be getting an O visa for volunteer work.

But for now it probably does not matter.

When you get your extension is when they will require some proof of salary. It would be better to get things sorted out before then and get your extension based upon volunteer work instead of as a teacher,

For the extension all you need is a non immigrant visa it will not matter what kind of visa you have.

I don't think Vientiane asks for the police clearence.

If its that big place by the bridge Avoid they are notirious for non payment

shoddy ethics and generally intimidation of filipinas and minorities

There was an ole Katoey there on daily wages during huge staff turnover

The head of English is so illiterate she could hardly spell arrogant racist unsympathetic etc but as they mainly eat while skivies do the work look eslwhere Kuntan Xhienhg Khong Chiang Kham Ploeng or the many schools in C Rai

For volunteers there is no proof of income required. Some immigration officers might want to see a bankbook to confirm you have money to live on, but there is no fixed ammount as to what it should show. It is just a confirmation that you are not destitute.

The letter should state you are a voulnteer and you will get a non-O visa, as Joe pointed out.

Apparently there are insisting on a Non B --> work permit, even to teach without salary.

Now, my questions are ..

1. will they want me to pay income tax?

2. have any of you teachers ever been asked to produce a police clearance form from your home country when applying for a work permit?

thanks.

As a volunteer you don't pay income tax, as you don't get a salary from within Thailand. You are supposed to have some means of income from abroad.

Currently the police clearence is no longer required. Believe some embassies stil require it when applying for a visa.

Who is insisting that you ned a non-B to get a WP? The school, immigration, labour or the embassy?

I'd be interested in doing some school volunteering also -- not because I need that to cover any kind of visa, but just for a variety of other reasons.

Clearly, the law requires a work permit for volunteering in Thailand. But, I've been reading here about the supposed hefty increases in the fees associated with new work permits. And those accounts made me think it unlikely a school would undertake those expenses on behalf of a part-time (farang) volunteer.

I'm happy to spend my time on behalf of a volunteer school venture. But I certainly don't want to get tagged with a 20,000 baht annual work permit fee for the privilege of doing so.

So, just to be clear on this....

1. What is the current govt fee associated with a new work permit application?

2. Is there a difference between what is actually currently being charged now and the maximum allowable amount the law passed last year allows the government to assess...if they choose to?

3. Are there any provisions about who is responsible for paying the fee for a work permit, i.e., the employee/volunteer or the employer??? If the employer won't, then it's up to the employee/volunteer to pony up instead?

4. I'm assuming there is no special category of work permit (and related fee) applicable to volunteering -- though one might think there ought to be.

1. A WP still costs 3,100 baht.

2. They can charge a maximum of 20,000 baht. Under the old rulke the maximum was 10,000. But they only charged 3,100.

3. No. But as a volunteer a school should be happy to pay it for you. Legaly it is your responsibility.

4. Correct, there is no difference.