Jockstar

WORLD CUP DREAM

Beckham would consider return to Premier League

By Soccernet staff

July 14, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

Just days after returning to Los Angeles Galaxy, David Beckham has revealed he could yet return to England to play in the Premier League.

GlynKirk/GettyImages

David Beckham: A return to England?

The former England captain is desperate to play at the World Cup in South Africa next year and knows he must return to Europe in January if he is to stay in the thoughts of coach Fabio Capello.

A return to AC Milan still seems to be the most likely outcome, although with Carlo Ancelotti now decamped to Chelsea there is an element of doubt.

Beckham had previously stated there was no chance of him playing for any other Premier League side than Manchester United.

The 34-year-old said: "I would definitely consider it. Never say never. When I left United, I said I would never want to play for another English club.

"My heart was in Manchester - and I couldn't see myself wearing another shirt in the Premiership and playing against United. Now I wouldn't rule it out.

"Obviously Milan expressed that they want me to go back, so I don't see any reason why that would change. We'll have to wait and see. I hope to be going back there.''

Beckham also insisted the row with Galaxy team-mate Landon Donovan is over. The pair had talks after Donovan criticised Beckham and his conduct since being signed by the MLS side two years ago.

"I'm not going to talk about what was said," he said. "That was between me, Landon and the manager but we had a good talk.''

Beckham also stressed his desire to see out his five-year MLS contract.

"I intend to stay until the end of my contract and maybe further,'' he said. "I've always said that. I've always said, even when I went to Milan, that I'm committed to the Galaxy and to MLS, and that hasn't changed.''

BBC News

David Beckham was involved in an angry confrontation with Los Angeles Galaxy fans during his first home game since completing his loan spell at AC Milan.

The match itself ended 2-2, Beckham doing his talking on the pitch by having a hand in both Galaxy goals.

BBC LINK

According to the news, it was a small contingent of "fans" called the "LA Riot Squad" :)

Ive just seen it on Skysports news and the boos sounded as if they were coming from half the ground, with quite a few banners.

If you took the p7ss out of the people that are paying your wages in any English club it would be expected ..... unless you think like Beckham of course.

He played well in his return to the Galaxy, too bad he accepted the contract in the first place.

AC Milan played and lost to AME Mexico downtown the other night and could have used him.

I watched the game on TV, although I had a comp ticket to the game, but was too lazy to drive the 20 miles. The Braves were playing Giants at the same time, so traffic downtown was a bit bunchy and didn't wanna get involved. Hispanic soccer crowds are a bit rowdy and tend too drink too much, and who wants to hang around 60,000 drunks. :)

He played well in his return to the Galaxy, too bad he accepted the contract in the first place.

AC Milan played and lost to AME Mexico downtown the other night and could have used him.

I watched the game on TV, although I had a comp ticket to the game, but was too lazy to drive the 20 miles. The Braves were playing Giants at the same time, so traffic downtown was a bit bunchy and didn't wanna get involved. Hispanic soccer crowds are a bit rowdy and tend too drink too much, and who wants to hang around 60,000 drunks. :)

The Chelsey team just beat AC Milan 2-1

Beckham gets involved in another fan fracas

July 27, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

David Beckham has clashed with another fan just one week after an ugly confrontation with spectators during his first home match for the Los Angeles Galaxy after returning from Italy.

The latest incident saw the 34-year-old exchange words with a male in the crowd, who was wearing an England shirt, during the Galaxy's 1-1 draw with the Kansas City Wizards on Saturday.

Beckham appeared to take offence at something the man said, and later claimed the spectator had insulted his wife, Victoria.

"He shouldn't actually be wearing that shirt because what he was saying about my wife was a disgrace," Beckham said.

The former England captain was on Friday fined £600 by Major League Soccer over his earlier confrontation with fans.

Beckham had received a less than friendly welcome at his first home game after returning from a five-month loan spell at AC Milan - the team the Galaxy were playing.

• 2 months later...

BECKHAM DEBATE

Beckham to Milan ''a done deal''

By Soccernet staff

October 15, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani has confirmed England midfielder David Beckham will rejoin the club on loan in January.

David Beckham: Did well in his first Milan spell.

Negotiations have been going on for some weeks and on Wednesday night Beckham intimated that they were 95% done, although the Milan chief has now confirmed the move.

"David Beckham's return on loan in January is already a done deal," Galliani told Sky Sport Italia.

The England midfielder joins from L.A. Galaxy with a view to getting enough regular first team football at the highest level to justify a place in Fabio Capello's World Cup squad.

Beckham joined Milan for a six-month loan spell earlier this year and while it was initially greeted with scepticism, he soon won over the critics.

Should Beckham be fit to play upon his arrival he could feature in Milan's crunch game away to Juventus on January 10.

BECKHAM DEBATE

Greaves: Capello should drop Beckham

October 15, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

Legendary England striker Jimmy Greaves has called for Fabio Capello to axe David Beckham.

Greaves knows all about the pain of being left out, having famously been overlooked in favour of Sir Geoff Hurst for the 1966 World Cup final despite being the outstanding forward of his generation.

Beckham does not look set to suffer a similar fate just yet given the warm words Capello has offered about the 34-year-old, who if he makes it to South Africa would be appearing in his fourth World Cup finals. However, the former Tottenham star does not believe Beckham is worthy of a place and thinks it is time for Capello to find an alternative.

''You have got to get rid of the old players because they can go on too long,'' he told Canary Wharf's weekly paper. ''It doesn't matter how great a player they have been, there comes a time to call it a day, otherwise you'd still have Geoff Hurst and Bobby Charlton playing for England.

''Personally, I wouldn't pick Beckham any more. I would give some of the younger lads an opportunity to get experience instead.''

Having worked with Sir Alf Ramsey on England's momentous charge to the final 43 years ago, Greaves knows exactly what is required to win the world's greatest prize. And, while he has plenty of admiration for Fabio Capello, Greaves fears the usual excessive hype is being applied to a team that is only one out of eight he could make a case for in South Africa next summer.

''There is too much hype about England's chances,'' he said. ''We should have more realistic expectations. Most people don't know what the South Americans have up their sleeves, while there are at least six teams in Europe, including England, who have a chance. And I think Didier Drogba's mob, the Ivory Coast, could surprise a few people.

''If you stop and look and analyse the teams you can't possibly say England are favourites. There are one or two teams who can ruin the dream, like North and South Korea. You have to tread carefully because it is a bit of a minefield. But Fabio Capello seems to be doing a good job. I don't know him but his demeanour seems similar to Alf Ramsey.

''He has the right idea about dealing with the players a bit more severely than Sven Goran Eriksson did. You can't mess about doing other things if you want to win the World Cup so he's got the right approach.''

Is Beckham trying to look like Jesus now with that beard? What a dick.

The sad part is millions of men and women will try to copy him. :)

What, the beard or believing that they are Jesus?

Actually, I have met Jesus on several occasions whilst working in the UK - normally he would pop in for a "28 day stay". :D

• 10 months later...

ENGLAND NEWS

Capello performs U-turn over Beckham retirement

By Soccernet staff

August 29, 2010

Comment

Email

Print

England coach Fabio Capello has opened the door for David Beckham to continue his international career after claiming earlier this month that the veteran would not be considered for his Euro 2012 squad.

GettyImages

Fabio Capello previously said David Beckham would not be considered.

Capello told the media before the friendly clash with Hungary that Beckham would be offered a "farewell to the fans" friendly to say thank you for years of service. But now the Italian has performed a U-turn and admitted that the midfielder will be considered for his squad if he regains full fitness after his ankle injury.

"First Beckham has to be playing again but the door is always open. We're monitoring all the players,'' Capello told the News of the World. "Once he recovers and is in really good condition, we will have a chat.

"I think the future is with the youth but after that, I will decide which players to choose. We know the value of the different older players. The future is with the young players because we have to think about the Euros but no player is out."

Beckham went to the 2010 World Cup, but only as a part of Capello's coaching staff as he made his recovery from a torn Achilles tendon and Capello admits he plays an important role.

"The relationship between me and David is really good,'' he said. "I spoke with him on the phone because he was part of the staff at the World Cup. Usually I don't speak with players but in this case I spoke with David."

Capello's squad for the Euro 2012 qualifiers against Bulgaria and Switzerland will be announced on Sunday and looks set to include Fulham's young goalkeeper David Stockdale after the Italian was seen watching him from the stands on Saturday.